• Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Yep, definitely agree on all accounts! I'll take Aph's argument and say that I don't think 16 and 17 year olds are actually intelligent enough to know what's best for the country xD But yes, they are being like small children who didn't get chocolate cake for pudding... My facebook has just been full of messages telling us leavers how we've ****ed the country... They're the ones who're gonna **** it up if they don't get on board with what the majority have decided, and make the future brilliant!
    I don't think they should be able to vote either and the argument about serving in the armed forces is easily countered with the observation that 16 and 17 year olds in England at least can't get married, for example, without parental permission, that under child protection, 16 and 17 year olds are still classed as children, and that many 16 and 17 year olds are in receipt (via their parents) of child benefit. In reality, they are children whether they like or not, albeit ones who can pay taxes and serve in the armed forces.

Strongly resisting the temptation to go 'aw didddums' My facebook's the same, but it's like before with silent Conservatives. Though there are many Leave campaigners and Conservatives who are loud on social media, others, such as myself, aren't because of the backlash you risk.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Wales is in a weird position now, as can be seen by the Shadow Health Secretary's tweet:

ReputationRep:
    My Facebook feed today is the reason why as a person who voted to leave, I would tell others that I would vote to remain.

I am genuinely upset at Cameron leaving, I still remember that Tuesday evening in May 2010 he became PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Wales is in a weird position now, as can be seen by the Shadow Health Secretary's tweet:

What does that even mean?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I don't think they should be able to vote either and the argument about serving in the armed forces is easily countered with the observation that 16 and 17 year olds in England at least can't get married, for example, without parental permission, that under child protection, 16 and 17 year olds are still classed as children, and that many 16 and 17 year olds are in receipt (via their parents) of child benefit. In reality, they are children whether they like or not, albeit ones who can pay taxes and serve in the armed forces.

Strongly resisting the temptation to go 'aw didddums' My facebook's the same, but it's like before with silent Conservatives. Though there are many Leave campaigners and Conservatives who are loud on social media, others, such as myself, aren't because of the backlash you risk.
    Yeh exactly... It's just like all remainers who have double standards about the democratic process to be honest...

Haha, it is tempting, but I've gone through this argument so many times with people, that I almost just can't be bothered... We've left (are going to, anyway!) and they're going to have to accept it! I've not posted at all on facebook about it as I'll know comments will come pouring in about it xD At least on TSR, enough of us are leavers that we can stick together
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm actually finding it hilarious how people are complaining about their grandparents being the reason we've left! My granny was always going to vote leave. Then her 50 year old son came for a visit one day. When she filled out her postal vote a few days later, she voted to remain :rofl:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)

He's annoyed that Wales voted England?

How'd you feel about that, i imagine very mixed.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I think that Andrea Leadsom has got it right when she said that we need to take stock and plan carefully - I don't see her as PM, but she is very reassuring and has experience in the financial sector.

And also the 16 and 17 year olds moaning yesterday that they couldn't vote. There are a lot of sore losers today on the remain side and yes we in leave have to reach out to them, but they also need to accept the result like adults.
    Being in a democracy where the vote was made by people who won't feel the long term consequences of the vote, were lied to throughhout teh vote and the people who will feel the effects being outvoted will cause a lot of hostility and resentment toward the old and political apathy in the young.

Also saying "stop whining and accept it like adults" is very patronising when
    A) thsi is exactly what leave would have done if they won
    B) leave would have said 'thsi is just the start not the end'
    C) you are denying people their freedom of speach.

Whenever something happens that you don't like you get up and fight. If you say "you have lost give up" all you will do is breed apathy and resentment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I still can't believe Bradford voted out... it's freaky.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Being in a democracy where the vote was made by people who won't feel the long term consequences of the vote, were lied to throughhout teh vote and the people who will feel the effects being outvoted will cause a lot of hostility and resentment toward the old and political apathy in the young.

Also saying "stop whining and accept it like adults" is very patronising when
    A) thsi is exactly what leave would have done if they won
    B) leave would have said 'thsi is just the start not the end'
    C) you are denying people their freedom of speach.

Whenever something happens that you don't like you get up and fight. If you say "you have lost give up" all you will do is breed apathy and resentment.
    I think it's more the fact that the vast majority of comments from remainers aren't being constructive about it, instead jsut blaming the old, blaming the system, and trying to get another referendum. What they should be doing, is saying, yes, ok, we lost. We think this will go wrong, but we now need to plan for the future where we're outside of the EU.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Also, number of people on facebook saying old people are ****ing stupid, and that they're retards. I'd love for them to go and say that to their grandparent's face. Oh no, they wouldn't. They're just being rude and disrespectful whilst hiding behind their screens.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I think it's more the fact that the vast majority of comments from remainers aren't being constructive about it, instead jsut blaming the old, blaming the system, and trying to get another referendum. What they should be doing, is saying, yes, ok, we lost. We think this will go wrong, but we now need to plan for the future where we're outside of the EU.
    I would argue given that farrage has come out today and admitted he lied in the referendum a second one is perfectly justified... Because the people were actually lied to when making their decision!!!
    And it is the oLD who don't have to live with it who took us out.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    I would argue given that farrage has come out today and admitted he lied in the referendum a second one is perfectly justified... Because the people were actually lied to when making their decision!!!
    And it is the oLD who don't have to live with it who took us out.
    If I told you a lie about it, you wouldn't demand a second referendum. Just because Farage is in a position where many more people listen to him, it's up to them to decide whether or not to believe him.

Yes, they don't have to live with it for very long, but maybe they will. Why should a 60 year old who might live another 40 years not get a choice, when a 20 year old might be dying of a terminal illness within the next 6 months. Also, it doesn't give people an excuse to actually be incredibly horrible to them. I reckon if all the comments I've seen posted around were on TSR, around a quarter to a half would probably be deleted, and the poster carded for discriminatory/abusive language. Losing this referendum doesn't give people the right to be vile and horrid.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    If I told you a lie about it, you wouldn't demand a second referendum. Just because Farage is in a position where many more people listen to him, it's up to them to decide whether or not to believe him.

Yes, they don't have to live with it for very long, but maybe they will. Why should a 60 year old who might live another 40 years not get a choice, when a 20 year old might be dying of a terminal illness within the next 6 months. Also, it doesn't give people an excuse to actually be incredibly horrible to them. I reckon if all the comments I've seen posted around were on TSR, around a quarter to a half would probably be deleted, and the poster carded for discriminatory/abusive language. Losing this referendum doesn't give people the right to be vile and horrid.
    But lying in elections should be illegal. If a person lies in an advert they can be charged and arrested. That should be the same in referendums and public elections.q

No it doesn't give people to be horrid and I do point that out but the reason is averages.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    But lying in elections should be illegal. If a person lies in an advert they can be charged and arrested. That should be the same in referendums and public elections.q

No it doesn't give people to be horrid and I do point that out but the reason is averages.
    If only there was a place that you could write Bills for a pretend House of Commons... oh wait!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    If only there was a place that you could write Bills for a pretend House of Commons... oh wait!
    I really don't get how anyone could think the way you do I also don't understand how anyone could think so little of themselves that they need to be patriotic...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    I really don't get how anyone could think the way you do I also don't understand how anyone could think so little of themselves that they need to be patriotic...
    I guess I'm a special kinda guy. And whilst I may or may not think so little of myself, it would probably have nothing to do with being patriotic. Ask Nigel Farage MEP that question though, he may have an answer!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I guess I'm a special kinda guy. And whilst I may or may not think so little of myself, it would probably have nothing to do with being patriotic. Ask Nigel Farage MEP that question though, he may have an answer!
    Patriotism is the most stupid of all stupid emotions.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Patriotism is the most stupid of all stupid emotions.
    Perhaps, perhaps not. But then I guess you could say that people do things for one of two reasons. To make themselves better off, or to make their country better off. If patriotism isn't the reason, then perhaps it's just pure selfishness.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Perhaps, perhaps not. But then I guess you could say that people do things for one of two reasons. To make themselves better off, or to make their country better off. If patriotism isn't the reason, then perhaps it's just pure selfishness.
    Patriotism is either elitist indoctrination or pure selfishness wanting to feel good about a worthless life.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.