Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Did not realise there was a game tonight. Happy days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..DT..)
    I know its old news, but I just keep watching this...

It's awesome!!

ReputationRep:
    No punt returner in a punt return formation. Jets be trolling.

ReputationRep:
    Umm...guys, did the Jets just forget to put...someone...to...return...th e...punt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bornab3)
    Umm...guys, did the Jets just forget to put...someone...to...return...th e...punt?
    Sounds like it was by design. Trying to get that block punt.

Whole thing is asitwelve

ReputationRep:
    That sometimes happens, but I don't think it did this time.

A couple of really close video calls. The pass into the end zone was clearly not a TD, but I didn't think they had enough to overturn the catch itself. I thought they would rule it completed at the 1. The Edelman one was just really close but I think they just made the right call. Tough couple of calls for the Jets. It's funny to see everyone so surprised that Geno Smith is good, but that's what happens when you look at numbers and narrative instead of process when you evaluate someone in preseason.

ReputationRep:
    God this game is so frustrating and boring.

(Original post by The Troll Toll)
    That sometimes happens, but I don't think it did this time.

A couple of really close video calls. The pass into the end zone was clearly not a TD, but I didn't think they had enough to overturn the catch itself. I thought they would rule it completed at the 1. The Edelman one was just really close but I think they just made the right call. Tough couple of calls for the Jets. It's funny to see everyone so surprised that Geno Smith is good, but that's what happens when you look at numbers and narrative instead of process when you evaluate someone in preseason.
    Are you a Jets fan?

Is Geno actually playing that great even for a rookie? He's playing okay. Nothing more nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Sounds like it was by design. Trying to get that block punt.

Whole thing is asitwelve
    Yeah they just did it again, must have been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    God this game is so frustrating and boring.
    I was actually enjoying it before I went to bed at half time.

Are you a Jets fan?

Is Geno actually playing that great even for a rookie? He's playing okay. Nothing more nothing less.
    Not really. I'm not really a fan of any team, but I find myself talking about the Jets (especially QBs) the most because there is such a wide media consensus about them that is just wrong. I watch their games now and find myself rooting for them (especially against the pats obviously) so I suppose maybe I'm a fan now.

I went to bed at half time so I can't comment on the 3 picks, at least one of which was apparently awful. In the first half I would say Geno played only slightly worse than last week, which was pretty much the high end of what you can expect from a rookie with his supporting cast. You can make arguments either way about which team has the better receiving corps (Dobson had drops and even crippled Santonio should be pretty good, but no way would Stephen Hill start for the Pats) but they are both pretty bad at this point in the season. Smith made fewer obvious mistakes than Brady (again only talking about the first half) and is obviously less of a statue, but he made fewer plays too

But I was laughing because like you say, he was competent but not spectacular, which should be exactly what people expect of him. Instead they thought he was awful on the basis of the 3rd preseason game, even though if you asked them to break down the plays and explain why those bad plays were QB errors they wouldn't be able to.

Jets running game really surprised me by how good it was. If Santonio gets healthy and Ivory and Smith stay healthy they are definitely a wildcard contender. If those things happen and the Patriots don't improve drastically (which they should, with Gronk coming back and rookies improving with Brady) then I think they could even be a sneaky division contender.

ReputationRep:
    That game was so boring. It was painful to watch the disconnection between Brady and the wide-outs. Don't think the guys should have been ejected either, atleast not without some penalty for Talib.

ReputationRep:
    I was listening to Americarnage earlier and Nat Coombs said that the Seahawks were the most overrated team of the season, and despite them being my team i'm somewhat inclined to agree they're up there although people are being far to negative on their week 1 performance just because it was low scoring. Only thing stopping me from saying they're the overrated team though is Green Bay as there's commentators who still seem to think they're favourites and then possibly the 49ers (although I shan't go into their failings too much least they thrash us on Sunday ). Any thoughts on who the most overrated team is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    I was listening to Americarnage earlier and Nat Coombs said that the Seahawks were the most overrated team of the season, and despite them being my team i'm somewhat inclined to agree they're up there although people are being far to negative on their week 1 performance just because it was low scoring. Only thing stopping me from saying they're the overrated team though is Green Bay as there's commentators who still seem to think they're favourites and then possibly the 49ers (although I shan't go into their failings too much least they thrash us on Sunday ). Any thoughts on who the most overrated team is?
    It's the 49ers without doubt. They might have been up against the Packers, but their defense is is highly suspect these days, they've now averaged nearly 30 points scored against them over their last 7 games, and that includes a game against the 2012 Cardinals and their QB carousel. This is one of the so-called best defenses in the league.

Yes, great, Kaepernick tore Green Bay apart, but they went in with an awful gameplan - having been nailed by the running game in the playoffs last year, they decided to abandon defending the pass (a great strategy when you're down to second stringers in the secondary) and zero in on defending the run. Result? You get destroyed in the passing game.
    They won't be so lucky this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    It's the 49ers without doubt. They might have been up against the Packers, but their defense is is highly suspect these days, they've now averaged nearly 30 points scored against them over their last 7 games, and that includes a game against the 2012 Cardinals and their QB carousel. This is one of the so-called best defenses in the league.

Yes, great, Kaepernick tore Green Bay apart, but they went in with an awful gameplan - having been nailed by the running game in the playoffs last year, they decided to abandon defending the pass (a great strategy when you're down to second stringers in the secondary) and zero in on defending the run. Result? You get destroyed in the passing game.
    They won't be so lucky this weekend.
    All good points, although I think their defensive line is fairly decent and obviously their receiving core is something to fear but GB's secondary was severely injured and, like you said, they were playing against the run and read option and yet the game was still close. I have faith in my Hawks but so long as we stop Bouldin from being open then hopefully we'll have time to rush Kapernick. Realy shame we won't have Browner but it's the debut of Avril so that should be something worth watching :crazy:

Also I know we did awful in the run last week but Pete Carroll seemed so unconcerned by it, i'm not that worried about Lynch not getting any ground again. It was mostly just bad play calling.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give my left nut (hypothetically) for Mega to score 30 points for me in fantasy today.

ReputationRep:
    Go on chargers. Did. Not. See. That. Coming.

Suspending game because of lightning. What a bunch of pansies. Don't wanna get sued.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Go on chargers. Did. Not. See. That. Coming.

Suspending game because of lightning. What a bunch of pansies. Don't wanna get sued.
    Yeah let's play football under giant metal goalposts in a lightning storm. Great idea!

ReputationRep:
    Tampa lose again on the last possession. 0-2, -3 point differential. Brutal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    Yeah let's play football under giant metal goalposts in a lightning storm. Great idea!
    If it was that bad, why wasn't the stadium evacuated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..DT..)
    Tampa lose again on the last possession. 0-2, -3 point differential. Brutal.
    The Anti-Texans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    x
    I know we're 2-0 and all that, but ****ing hell we're not looking very convincing offensively are we :zomg:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.