Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I'd probably feel more optimistic if I felt like I'd actually done some medicine. In semester one I'll've done surgery (first rotation, just getting used to things), psychiatry and paediatrics.

We do pretty much everything every year (exception being obs/gynae, which is 4th year). Has its advantages and disadvantages. Not sure which I'd prefer.
    Absolutely loved it dude! Paeds has been great fun, I imagined it to be like embryology stuff for some reason lol, how wrong I was

If you like general medicine, you'll like paeds. Especially if you're a friendly person.

If you're not, just put up with it for a short while haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Absolutely loved it dude! Paeds has been great fun, I imagined it to be like embryology stuff for some reason lol, how wrong I was

If you like general medicine, you'll like paeds.
    I hope I share you enthusiasm!

Especially if you're a friendly person.

If you're not, just put up with it for a short while haha
    Depends how much sleep I've had...

ReputationRep:
    I hope I share you enthusiasm!

Depends how much sleep I've had...
    As aforementioned, my paeds(and GP and dermatology) exam is in two weeks - I bet I won't be liking paeds so much come the 5th december haha.

What med school are you at and what hospital will you be going to? (feel free to PM me rather than say it in public)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DexterM)
    I wondered this too! ORT tastes minging but I guess when you're drunk you won't even care about the taste.
    I think it should work perfectly. It does taste a bit grim but when I'm battered I think I'd rather stick out a pint or two of that and avoid a hangover.

I wonder if I could do it for my intercalation or whether getting patients wasted to give them ORT and get them to rank their hangovers with or without would be unethical...

ReputationRep:
    As aforementioned, my paeds(and GP and dermatology) exam is in two weeks - I bet I won't be liking paeds so much come the 5th december haha.

What med school are you at and what hospital will you be going to? (feel free to PM me rather than say it in public)
    Dermaholiday?

I'm at Keele, but I'll PM you the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good sites for cancer? I really never learnt leukaemia/lymphom (Hodgkin's/Non-H) and I don't really understand what cells are affected and what it all means.

I know I should have learnt this in 2nd/3rd year, but can anyone help, it's doing my head in.

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good sites for cancer? I really never learnt leukaemia/lymphom (Hodgkin's/Non-H) and I don't really understand what cells are affected and what it all means.

I know I should have learnt this in 2nd/3rd year, but can anyone help, it's doing my head in.

Thanks x
    What do you need to know? I find it quite helpful to split the leukaemias into a little grid, with acute/chronic down the side and myeloid/lymphoid across the top, and then in each square you write cellular origin, demographics, classical mutations, treatment and prognosis. I used Lecture Notes on Haematology for my revision - I think you can access most of it online via googlebooks.

Lymphoma can be split into Hodgkin's/NHL, and then NHL subdivided into (IIRC) DLBL and "others." The demographics, treatment and prognosis for Hodgkin's are very different from NHL.

I'm not sure how much you're likely to need to know for exams, but doubt they'd want loads of technical detail.

ReputationRep:
    So, I've passed my written finals and now in my final year have a two day OSCE to pass in June before I can graduate as a Doctor. However, I feel like I've hit a slump.

I do feel that I've lost a lot of my knowledge since finals and that I want to try and hit the 'next level' in terms of medicine.

As I want to be a medic does anyone think that preparing for MRCP would be a beneficial step or would I be missing something in between?

-TLP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    So, I've passed my written finals and now in my final year have a two day OSCE to pass in June before I can graduate as a Doctor. However, I feel like I've hit a slump.

I do feel that I've lost a lot of my knowledge since finals and that I want to try and hit the 'next level' in terms of medicine.

As I want to be a medic does anyone think that preparing for MRCP would be a beneficial step or would I be missing something in between?

-TLP
    As it currently stands, you won't be able to take MRCP until you're an F2, so starting to prepare now might be a bit of a waste of effort really.

If you want to do something useful with your time rather than just showing up to placement etc, how about trying to get a decent audit done, or a bit of research? This is the main reason why I'm glad I had finals right at the end, otherwise I think I'd have felt a bit like I was just going through the motions in final year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    As it currently stands, you won't be able to take MRCP until you're an F2, so starting to prepare now might be a bit of a waste of effort really.

If you want to do something useful with your time rather than just showing up to placement etc, how about trying to get a decent audit done, or a bit of research? This is the main reason why I'm glad I had finals right at the end, otherwise I think I'd have felt a bit like I was just going through the motions in final year.
    Good suggestions! I've already got a cheeky A&E audit on the cards for January and I'm trying to get stuck in with teaching also.

I'm currently on Psych, which I think is helping me feel like I'm not retaining any medicine whatsoever hence trying to get studying again except I don't want to just aim for that Finals level. I want to give myself the best head start to F1 as I can possible manage in the next 6 months before graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    I'm currently on Psych, which I think is helping me feel like I'm not retaining any medicine whatsoever hence...
    :eek: Do some ward cover shadowing with potential for absolute for anything & everything medical problems (that are often fairly neglected) or some liaison work for clever ahah, 'it is organic, afterall' diagnoses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    :eek: Do some ward cover shadowing with potential for absolute for anything & everything medical problems (that are often fairly neglected) or some liaison work for clever ahah, 'it is organic, afterall' diagnoses?
    I've been here for 4 weeks already, seen bugger all except throwing the BNF at patients, and have 4 to go.

However, from now on I shall endeavour to investigate the merest sniffle for promise of something more juicy :holmes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: This afternoon has been utterly unproductive. Went to EAU for some teaching - guy didn't turn up. No matter, I'll just try to get a history off someone - they'd gone for an X-RAY. Well I'll just see what the doctors are doing - lots of paperwork and then disappearing into thin air. That's fine, I'll just go to my base ward. Phantom patient strikes again. See if the nurses need anything doing? No, of course not. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Broadly speaking, how interested in teaching are doctors in the hospitals you guys do clinical years at?

ReputationRep:
    Broadly speaking, how interested in teaching are doctors in the hospitals you guys do clinical years at?
    So variable. Have had absolutely fantastic junior docs who've been really good at doing spontaneous teaching and observing you examine and giving tips etc, to ones who tell you to take the day off clearly on the basis that they can't be arsed with students.

ReputationRep:
    Thank God that exam was only formative...

ReputationRep:
    Considering I've been almost solely attached to the one ward, I can't speak broadly; but the juniors on there give us huge amounts of off the cuff teaching which has been a great help. I'm guessing at some of the teaching hospitals this will be less so.

ReputationRep:
    Some uber keen (one let one of us us home as a pincushion) other juniors just teach because of portfolio but are still good.
    My consultants have been amazing. 2 lots of 1hr+ dedicated teaching with them.
    One also gave me such wonderful feedback when signing me off today.

ReputationRep:
    Really depends. Some doctors do not want any business whatsoever with teaching. I find that the older doctors (eg. Consultants) aren't as keen about teaching. Some of the younger doctors are more keen as they still remember what it was like to be a medical student. On my last placement I had two consultants who were really keen on teaching. Literally they were like "I'm free on this day and this day. What do you want to learn about?" On the contrary, in the placement prior to my last one my consultant never taught. Even when you ask about something he does a half-ass job of explaining it and then a ST1 would come along and explain in more detail. So in general aim for foundation year doctors for teaching but they tend to be really busy. Also found SHOs are really good at teaching too and don't seem as busy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could anyone please get me this paper if they have access: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11719087 would greatly appreciate it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.