The Manchester United Thread XIX Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dirtybit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
But my point still stands, a team would have to hope they have their own "Mahrez" and the right manager for everything to click and that rarely occurs otherwise we would be seeing this more often. You can point to Liverpool in 13/14 but they had a star player in Suarez who is one of the best if not the best striker in the world.
Yeah obviously every team will have their own star player if they are doing well, it's just natural, but it's still up for grabs imo because no one would have said that Leicester last year would be challenging for this season. There are obviously teams that "likely" to be challenging next year but you can't rule out any team especially United because you don't know what may happen. We have players who have the "potential" to act like "Mahrez" next year. Memphis could click etc.
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dirtybit)
Yeah obviously every team will have their own star player if they are doing well, it's just natural, but it's still up for grabs imo because no one would have said that Leicester last year would be challenging for this season. There are obviously teams that "likely" to be challenging next year but you can't rule out any team especially United because you don't know what may happen. We have players who have the "potential" to act like "Mahrez" next year. Memphis could click etc.
I agree.

Aside from incoming signings (which we'll both make a lot of), you have Memphis/Martial who could make that step up and we have Coutinho/Firmino who could too.

If you look at the top teams right now, they're up there simply because they have one or two players playing the best football of their career - Mahrez/Vardy, Kane/Alli, Özil. Especially Payet in West Ham's case. City's general quality is too good for them not to be up there.

Liverpool and United have suffered from not having any stand out players like that this year, but we've seen how rapidly this can change season to season so there's no saying one won't emerge in the next campaign.
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lúcio)
I agree.

Aside from incoming signings (which we'll both make a lot of), you have Memphis/Martial who could make that step up and we have Coutinho/Firmino who could too.

If you look at the top teams right now, they're up there simply because they have one or two players playing the best football of their career - Mahrez/Vardy, Kane/Alli, Özil. Especially Payet in West Ham's case. City's general quality is too good for them not to be up there.

Liverpool and United have suffered from not having any stand out players like that this year, but we've seen how rapidly this can change season to season so there's no saying one won't emerge in the next campaign.
100%

Watch when Memphis comes out to play with Martial ready to become Henry x5 next season!!!
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
100%

Watch when Memphis comes out to play with Martial ready to become Henry x5 next season!!!
Tfw agrees but mentions no Liverpool players
Inb4 none of them are good enough
SA-1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Tfw agrees but mentions no Liverpool players
Inb4 none of them are good enough
Henderson > Xavi doe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SA-1)
Allen > Xavi doe

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
Shaw set to return to first team training

xKay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
John stones 50million pls
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
Coman is class
KingKoala
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Typical England. John Stones overated.
BeFoUr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KingKoala)
Strong spelling
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KingKoala)
Never understood the hype over him and he's yet to prove that he's worth anything near what is claimed.

He plays the ball out of defence superbly but his inexperience is too obvious. He can't hack it at the international level and Everton's defence is far from solid regardless.
He reminds me of David Luiz - great with the ball, but why is he a CB?
KingKoala
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BeFoUr)
Strong spelling
Funny.
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
He only really made one mistake, otherwise he was solid, great passer of the ball, orchestrated the attack.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He only really made one mistake, otherwise he was solid, great passer of the ball, orchestrated the attack.
I disagree. He lost the ball far forward in several occasions. He went down injured at one point, leaving a gaping hole in the defence. He initiated the attack for the goal we scored, however was majorly at fault for the one we conceded.

If he was at a solid defensive team then fair enough, but England are dreadful at the back and can't be dealing with losing a CB on a regular occurrence during a match.

Great passer of the ball and could flourish at a better team, but he isn't the fit for England. Not yet.
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lúcio)
I disagree. He lost the ball far forward in several occasions.
Yeah he was trying to find a pass, normal CB's lose the ball sometimes when trying to find a pass....

He went down injured at one point, leaving a gaping hole in the defence.
Imagine blaming him for getting injured

however was majorly at fault for the one we conceded.
Keeper saved stones for his slip and another idiot hand balled it which gave them a pen.

Nice try but Stones was actually decent.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah he was trying to find a pass, normal CB's lose the ball sometimes when trying to find a pass....

Imagine blaming him for getting injured

Keeper saved stones for his slip and another idiot hand balled it which gave them a pen.

Nice try but Stones was actually decent.
No, I mean he drove forward, way too far forward. Like when David Luiz did it at Chelsea and everybody criticised him. The only reason he gets a free pass is because he's English.

What I mean is, he got "injured" because he pushed far forward, lost control of the ball and was stretching to get it. He needs to re-evaluate his game because he won't work like this at international level.

The keeper saved a terrible shot from the striker and Rose went in to braindead mode with the handball, but that all came about because of Stone's mistake. It was in the same passage of play.

He wasn't good. Not at all.
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Never understood the hype over him and he's yet to prove that he's worth anything near what is claimed.

He plays the ball out of defence superbly but his inexperience is too obvious. He can't hack it at the international level and Everton's defence is far from solid regardless.
He reminds me of David Luiz - great with the ball, but why is he a CB?
tbf no one looks solid in a Martinez defence
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
tbf no one looks solid in a Martinez defence
Haha very true.

Like I said, put him in a better team with a solid CB alongside and he'd probably flourish.

It's just that when you play for Everton and England, you can't really afford to be surging forward too much because your primary defensive duties will surely suffer. My problem isn't with him getting forward, it's that he needs to realise the team he's in and adapt accordingly.
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lúcio)
No, I mean he drove forward, way too far forward. Like when David Luiz did it at Chelsea and everybody criticised him. The only reason he gets a free pass is because he's English.

What I mean is, he got "injured" because he pushed far forward, lost control of the ball and was stretching to get it. He needs to re-evaluate his game because he won't work like this at international level.

The keeper saved a terrible shot from the striker and Rose went in to braindead mode with the handball, but that all came about because of Stone's mistake. It was in the same passage of play.

He wasn't good. Not at all.
Yeah I saw he dribbled past a couple players before that though. Was unlucky the ball didn't reach Barkley. To be fair he does that because there are poverty midfielders in front of him. Drinkwater was ****e at distributing the ball.

Why don't you tell that to Ramos and Pique because they do that and have fine careers at both levels
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (16)
16.67%
Labour (40)
41.67%
Liberal Democrats (16)
16.67%
Green Party (5)
5.21%
Brexit Party (3)
3.13%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (2)
2.08%
Plaid Cymru (2)
2.08%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)