Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by \/ibhav)
    What I post in the summer thread is regarding summer and what I post in the spring thread is regarding spring.

I apologise for confusing you. I'm a 2nd year on a variable degree (3/4 years) and so before I decide how many years I do (on the recommendation of analysts from various banks), I've applied for both Spring and Summer and somehow I've ended up with one summer (JPM) and no springs so far. If I now get GS and then manage to convert it, I'll need to really think things through (and it'll probably depend on how I find my desk in summer), but otherwise, I'll probably do 3 years and move on. I hope that makes sense!
    Oh cool.
    Have banks let you apply for spring *and* summer at the same place? I was under the impression you could only apply once a cycle for some places, how did you choose how to split up the apps?
    Congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aenigma)
    Oh cool.
    Have banks let you apply for spring *and* summer at the same place? I was under the impression you could only apply once a cycle for some places, how did you choose how to split up the apps?
    Congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks and no, I can't apply twice at the same place; I had to split them up. A lot of places don't specifically ask for students in their penultimate year, so I applied to them for summer. I then chose a few good ones like JPM and MS, just in case I get a summer (I wasn't really expecting to). At JPM, I actually explained the whole variable degree situation to the MD of the desk who ended up taking me and he understood. So unless GS now complicates things (which I hope they do), I should end up as a graduate at JP from 2016!

ReputationRep:
    anybody heard any GS securities news today?

ReputationRep:
    Barclays FO first round interview this afternoon. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    For the GS application portal, if you still see 'your application is under review' and you are still waiting for an interview, does this mean you are rejected? Please would someone answer me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlee444)
    For the GS application portal, if you still see 'your application is under review' and you are still waiting for an interview, does this mean you are rejected? Please would someone answer me
    no one knows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BumbleB33)
    Barclays FO first round interview this afternoon. Any advice?
    Start each answer with an inspirational Adam Smith quote and remember to mention this at some point:

Name:  10961870_10153199480371833_1648194279_n.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  20.3 KB

Finally, remember to regularly pause for dramatic effect.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Otherwise, answer these in your head before the interview:
    Why Barclays?
    Why this division?
    What do you know about this division?
    What could you bring to the role?
    What issues are currently affecting the banking industry as a whole?
    Tell me about a time you managed to persuade someone to take your point of view.
    Tell me about a time you had to change your approach in order to be understood by someone else.
    Tell me about a time you have dealt with a problem in a team.
    What type of research did you undertake for this role?
    How does your business area fit within Barclays?
    What issues do you think are currently affecting Barclays clients?
    What would your response be if you were asked to manage a group, and what would your approach to management be?
    Tell me about a goal you have achieved in the last 3 months.
    How have you changed a process that is already in place and successful?
    How have you developed relationships within a team?
    What challenges face your specific division?
    Tell me about a time when your ethical stance and values were challenged.
    Tell me about a time when you were able to notice an anomaly quickly when analysing data.
    Tell me about a time when you contributed to the success of a team.
    Tell me about the biggest challenge you faced in university.
    Have you applied anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Credit Suisse Tech but actually clash with JPM tech. Which one do you is better? As Credit Suisse potential can fast track to an offer for summer intern though JPM has higher reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering applying for HSBC Summer Retail/Wealth alongside my current Spring Week applications. Do you think its worth going through with this scheme even though it's not strictly investment banking? Will it benefit me in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrcool1995)
    MS or BAML? which on to pick?
    I would pick BAML, better conversion rate

ReputationRep:
    Two missed calls yesterday from Goldman Sachs - assume they only call to give offers?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unsworth)
    Two missed calls yesterday from Goldman Sachs - assume they only call to give offers?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why don't you call them back and find out rather than asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hobes1)
    Why don't you call them back and find out rather than asking
    Obviously I have already given that a go but grad recruitment haven't been answering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I have already given that a go but grad recruitment haven't been answering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was kidding :P, yeah I've been there before. HR are sometimes a mission.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a hr number beginning 07468, also I'm really unsure whether to apply to baml summer with spring still pending?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Either a offer or a very near miss - Good luck bud!

ReputationRep:
    Barclays First Round Interview!

ReputationRep:
    Do I pick Lazard or BNP Paribas?? Hellpppp

ReputationRep:
    Offer GS Securities!!! The 0207 call is for offers!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bdoskail)
    Barclays First Round Interview!
    Same It seems like we're in the same batch :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.