Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Have fun lmao 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What a coincidence! I wrote something very similar in my PS from volunteering, do you mind me asking where you're applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Where have UKCAT stated the average is expected to go down, on their website?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It says people who sit it later do worse: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/preparation/test-strategies/
    and i think from that you can make the deduction that the mean score will go down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not_a_horse)
    What a coincidence! I wrote something very similar in my PS from volunteering, do you mind me asking where you're applying to?
    Manchester, St George's, Liverpool, Plymouth. But it doesn't matter where you apply to, UCAS still pick up on plagiarising so to anyone on this thread just don't ruin yourself before you even get looked at ffs I couldn't think of anything worse 😂 sorry that's not really towards you just don't want people trying to imitate what I was talking about lol 😂 funnily enough my PS isn't even finished yet ughhh😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, St George's, Liverpool, Plymouth. But it doesn't matter where you apply to, UCAS still pick up on plagiarising so to anyone on this thread just don't ruin yourself before you even get looked at ffs I couldn't think of anything worse 😂 sorry that's not really towards you just don't want people trying to imitate what I was talking about lol 😂 funnily enough my PS isn't even finished yet ughhh😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, don't worry I've already sent mine today to UCAS, now the waiting game begins...

ReputationRep:
    Lol, don't worry I've already sent mine today to UCAS, now the waiting game begins...
    Good luck 😋 I think I'll be so nervous when I send mine off because I'll panic for a bit thinking I've missed something out in my PS etc😂 I think I'll send mine on the 13th/14th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck 😋 I think I'll be so nervous when I send mine off because I'll panic for a bit thinking I've missed something out in my PS etc😂 I think I'll send mine on the 13th/14th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's quite annoying because my tutor basically forced me to send it off, I felt my PS was a bit rushed but I thought it was Ok in the end, nothing special. So nervous for UKCAT results tomorrow though

ReputationRep:
    Can i just ask, what is the highest score any of u guys have seen/heard of that was obtained?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    Not establishing an arguement, I just want to understand exactly what you're trying to say. But yes, a wider range of results *can* reduce the average; it doesn't necerssarily mean it will.

Everyone that you know isn't a large sample size really though is it? Previous trends support the fact that averages tend to drop as we go into the cycle and since UKCAT have stated themselves that the average is expected to go down, I think it's very likely. The reason the general consensus is that people tend to get lower scores in October is purely down to A Level workload/personal statement and UCAS application. The time left for revision is minimal compared to during the summer.
    I am aware that everyone i know isn't a representative sample size and no where did i claim that either.
    It's not conclusive to rely on previous years either and claim the same will happen this year. I don't have a problem with suggesting it though.
    There are too many factors and there isn't a general consensus but i don't have a problem with that anyway.
    Anyway all of this is assumptions and that wasn't the point i was making.
    I was just making the point that their understanding of how averages work is completely wrong and it doesn't make sense what they're saying. They were saying that because there is a larger pool of results that means the average will go down. That's not how averages work.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite annoying because my tutor basically forced me to send it off, I felt my PS was a bit rushed but I thought it was Ok in the end, nothing special. So nervous for UKCAT results tomorrow though
    Are you applying to any PS uni's like Bristol, Liverpool? I'm so nervous as well 😬 I got 667 so can't imagine I'll be in a super good position tomorrow just hoping it will be 'decent' whatever that means anyway 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawini)
    Can i just ask, what is the highest score any of u guys have seen/heard of that was obtained?
    One of my friend's got 798 avg I, absolute beast!

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying to any PS uni's like Bristol, Liverpool? I'm so nervous as well 😬 I got 667 so can't imagine I'll be in a super good position tomorrow just hoping it will be 'decent' whatever that means anyway 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think imperial looks at PS a bit and UEA too, other than that not really. You're UKCAT is perfectly fine for most unis.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friend's got 798 avg I, absolute beast!
    I know one person who got 840avg but thats the highest ive seen, i dont actually think 900's possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P w sjsbd)
    Hey guys and girls
    myunidays.com/r/AdxjzuSRNxs
    If you use that link to sign up for unidays it will mean that we both get mad student discounts
    It's a win win
    Make sure you use the link and it only takes two minutes it would be appreciated a lot
    If you can then thanks so much
    To say thanks the first 10 Will get 50 pound vouchers for asos
    Thanks a lot
    scam af

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P w sjsbd)
    Hey guys and girls
    myunidays.com/r/AdxjzuSRNxs
    If you use that link to sign up for unidays it will mean that we both get mad student discounts
    It's a win win
    Make sure you use the link and it only takes two minutes it would be appreciated a lot
    If you can then thanks so much
    To say thanks the first 10 Will get 50 pound vouchers for asos
    Thanks a lot
    **** off you prick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chopra52)
    Good luck for tomorrow everyone!
    Whilst most will be screaming in joy, others (like me) will be crying our eyes out
    Just don't forget if the averages are high its not the end of the world as it all depends who who applies to your particular university. Who knows there could be a high average, but a low cut off for a uni. For 2015 entry the cut off for newcastle was 575 and the average nationally for UKCAT was 625

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouHaveProblems)
    This sounds silly, it doesn't make sense one bit. "More population means lower average" what?
    You do know the amount of people sitting the exam has no effect on individual scores right?
    A wider range doesn't mean a lower average at all. I don't get what u are talking about here lol

Anyway, everyone I have spoke to that has done it in September an October seem to do better. You could suggest because they have more time to revise and perform much better than others and therefore the mean should be expected to go up. Or you could suggest people have to study Alevels at same time and perform worse but not everyone does a level and this affect is over weighed by the previous example as this only applies to people who focus on Alrvels a lot to the extent where their score is affected and the other one applies to almost everyone.
    But in reality there are so many factors and we can't know, I just don't understand your reasoning because that doesn't make sense.
    It's basic maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carbon_)
    Yep, took a gap year so I could get more medicine related work experience!
    Cool, have you found anything at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    It's basic maths.
    That's what i think you don't understand.
    1: x
    2: y
    3: z
    the average is (x+y+z)/3

If a larger pool of results.
    1: x
    2: y
    3: z
    4: a
    5: b
    6: c
    the average is (x+y+z+a+b+c)/6 not (x+y+z)/6
    The values of a,b and c can be higher than x, y or z. If they are all higher then the average will increase.
    So yes, i agree it's basic maths. However u might not understand 'basic maths'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    **** off you prick
    Hahahhaha why can't I rep you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Where have UKCAT stated the average is expected to go down, on their website?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Their twitter feed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.