The Ultimate Football Thread IV Watch

This discussion is closed.
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Barca)
Yaya was named as the best signing of La Liga this season . One of the best DM's in the continent :yy:
I really wanted Wenger to sign him. No-one would've messed with a central midfield pairing of Yaya and Flamini.

Anyway, we'll probably get him on a swap deal for Fabregas in the summer.
Klinsmannic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah yes, the classic double pivot...Benitez has overtaken Wenger as its number 1 advocate
Barça
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
What the hell is a DM doing scoring goals? The main DM should rarely pass the half way line IMO.
We're not Chelsea :p:. But seriously Yaya likes to get up the field once or twice in a game and Xavi/Iniesta cover for him. If you watch his youtube videos you'll never think he is a DM, he bursts from midfield and shoots, in Barca he has been brilliant in his DM position, no complaints there
Barça
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Synergetic)
I really wanted Wenger to sign him. No-one would've messed with a central midfield pairing of Yaya and Flamini.

Anyway, we'll probably get him on a swap deal for Fabregas in the summer.
If you're actually serious then think again. Last season we were missing a good DM, then we get Yaya for 10 million euros and now you think we're swapping him for Cesc ! I'm sorry but I don't see how Cesc and Xavi are different? IMO Cesc would be even a more stupid by than Henry who has turned into Barcelona's Shevchenko :mad:
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Barca)
We're not Chelsea :p:. But seriously Yaya likes to get up the field once or twice in a game and Xavi/Iniesta cover for him. If you watch his youtube videos you'll never think he is a DM, he bursts from midfield and shoots, in Barca he has been brilliant in his DM position, no complaints there
Well, if there is adequate cover than it's alright. Though Makelele has scored a goal for Chelsea himself.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Though Makelele has scored a goal for Chelsea himself.
And what a goal too

:mad:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
And what a goal too

:mad:
Better to concede those type of goals rather than sloppy goals or non-pressurised own goals tbh. Besides, you won. You should be happy. :mad:
Rainy
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
Ah yes, the classic double pivot...Benitez has overtaken Wenger as its number 1 advocate
Indeed, Viera was a master in the role. If only we had a Bergkamp to unlock defenses (or better yet, did someone just mention Zidane)? It definitely best works with an intelligent advanced playmaker and mobile full (to wing) backs.
the living legend
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
its all in the title, was it a pen in the game on the 8/04/2008?
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It was a tough one to judge. The way I see it... if that was a penalty, then so was the Arsenal shout in the first leg. The problem is consistency.
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Clearly. It's not as much of a penalty than the one that was in the first leg though.

I don't even support Arsenal, I watched it as it'd be a cracking match.

Marcus
g_star_raw_1989
Report 11 years ago
In my opinon, it was not a penalty.
abcd1990
Report 11 years ago
i think it was very similar to hlebs in the first leg, and everyone said that one was a penalty so therefore this one should have been given aswel. sure, it might be unfair that one was given and the other wasnt, but the referee shouldnt care about what happened in the first leg and should call it as he sees it. So i think he got it right.

as a defender ur told never to run across a player running past you, because minimal contact can take him out and thats wat happened.

just my opinion though
ShinyApple
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally I don't think it matters too much. Arsene is using it as an excuse for losing when it didn't make any difference to the match. I don't think it changed the run of the game and I think Liverpool would have always won in the end.

For the record, I think it probably was a penalty, just. The fact that it is so debatable means it's fair the ref gave it.
Tuyo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
It was a tough one to judge. The way I see it... if that was a penalty, then so was the Arsenal shout in the first leg. The problem is consistency.
Agreed.

Likewise, if the one first leg shout wasn't a penalty then the one in the second shouldn't have been either.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ShinyApple)
Personally I don't think it matters too much. Arsene is using it as an excuse for losing when it didn't make any difference to the match. I don't think it changed the run of the game and I think Liverpool would have always won in the end.
All Arsenal wanted was consistency, unfortunately they didn't get that and it probably went on to cost them the tie, imo.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
That, or the failure to defend. All 5 goals conceded by Arsenal were poor from a defensive point of view.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The defending was poor, so was the Dutch referee.
Laevis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You could probably say the same about two of the goals we conceded. Adebayor's free header two yards out and Reina should definitely have done better with Diaby's shot IMO. The other goal was just brilliance, though.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Laevis)
You could probably say the same about two of the goals we conceded. Adebayor's free header two yards out and Reina should definitely have done better with Diaby's shot IMO. The other goal was just brilliance, though.
True. Yes, Senderos/Toure could've got closer to Torres when the ball was crossed in to him, but sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say it was a moment of magic. It was just one of those games were defending went out the window.

Of course in Arsenal's case, that's just about every game. ;dry;
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise