Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    So, phone broken, so I went back to the general junk draw to grab a spare, until I remembered that the reason they were in there was because that even older phone was also not working..fail. Might go back to ye age olde 3310!

Interesting tidbit though, was told the other day that 95% if medical students go on to be doctors (strictly speaking qualify, MBBS, whether they practice is different) so this means re access, as long as we can get kids from more difficult backgrounds into medical school - theres a very very good chance they'll be doctors. That can be life changing - not just for them but obviously for their kids, and the whole family. Never thought of it that way before...
    That is true, it is life changing. When I passed my finals this year I went and spoke to some of my lecturers to say thank you. I did a widening access course, and I feel a huge amount of gratitude to those who supported me along the way. When I spoke to the lecturer who established the course I told her that because of the hard work she (and others of course) had put into the course the future of my family has been changed for ever. Isn't that amazing?

And yes, to be fair most of the people that fail are more likely to come from lower socio-economic groups of have additional complicating factors. But the vast majority pass. Like lots of my friends, I always knew I wanted to be a doctor, but if you saw our stats and background on paper (family background, school, average grades) it would be hard to believe that it could happen.

Oh dear i'm a bit emotional now

ReputationRep:
    So, phone broken, so I went back to the general junk draw to grab a spare, until I remembered that the reason they were in there was because that even older phone was also not working..fail. Might go back to ye age olde 3310!
    Mate, I loved that phone. I'm confident that old school snake would do as much damage to my attention span as a lecture as my galaxy S does.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to draw away from the discussion on less wealthy medical students (I'm one of them...)

But yeah does anyone ever get stressed? It seems pretty irrational but I have my summative paeds osce+SBA in 13 days, I have an essay to do, and I'm supposed to present a patient to my GP but haven't got one ready and it's all just making me a bit ARGH, just wanna go and sleep haha.... There's always too much to do and never enough time :/

Maybe I'm just overreacting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Sorry to draw away from the discussion on less wealthy medical students (I'm one of them...)

But yeah does anyone ever get stressed? It seems pretty irrational but I have my summative paeds osce+SBA in 13 days, I have an essay to do, and I'm supposed to present a patient to my GP but haven't got one ready and it's all just making me a bit ARGH, just wanna go and sleep haha.... There's always too much to do and never enough time :/

Maybe I'm just overreacting
    Hell yes! That is how I have felt this whole attachment (partly medicine related and partly society related partly council related) untill I got my feed bal of being the best student my consultant has had in 15ish years. That was awesome.

I do feel I need a 30 hour day to get it all done though

ReputationRep:
    *insert big metabolism post here*

EDIT:

Nevermind, found some website called sparknotes that's for A level and from the looks of things covers the basic stuff of what I need. On the one side it is filled with endless amounts of crap (celebrity gossip and **** my girlfriend reads) but on the other it seems to break the stuff down to at least A level standard. Also means I won't get distracted by stuff on the side since I don't care about it. Score.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting tidbit though, was told the other day that 95% of medical students go on to be doctors (strictly speaking qualify, MBBS, whether they practice is different) so this means re access, as long as we can get kids from more difficult backgrounds into medical school - theres a very very good chance they'll be doctors. That can be life changing - not just for them but obviously for their kids, and the whole family. Never thought of it that way before...
    Seems like they mean 95% of finals, really don't think it is 95% of the original cohort from beginning Medicine.

Here in Leicester a 1/3 of students resit exams at the end of each year, and of those 1/3 - a 1/3 will fail. So essentially a 1/9 will not go through to the next year. Although I think it was less than this during our transition from third to fourth year, but there was a LOT of students resitting between 2nd and 3rd year and 1/3 of those definitely failed. I'd imagine at least 20 students lost from when we first began - and we had something like 210 to start with (oversubscribed year!) so thats already ~10% of our year gone. (Hmm kinda worried about going back to 4th year now...)

I'd imagine a very high pass rate from finals anyway - being able to do exams cumulatively throughout 5 years would mean by 5th year you'd be able to retain most of the information and apply it clinically.

Also in regards to students coming from less affluent backgrounds sailing closer to the wind (too lazy to quote the post) - I've seen a mix. Some students from less affluent backgrounds work really hard and get the best grades amongst the years (I have a friend whos brilliant, like House brilliant. He can remember stuff from year 1, anything you ask at all and can easily work out any clinical problem through using logic even if he hasn't read about the pathophysiology. But he doesn't have any family in Medicine and he doesn't have an affluent background and he's dyslexic.)

But other students who have a private education throughout their lives have had to resit years. Just depends on the individual student really.

ReputationRep:
    A third of students fail? that seems ridiculously high!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edcourageous)
    A third of students fail? that seems ridiculously high!
    In our first week of introductory lectures during freshers week they said to us:

'Look to your left, look to your right. Now one of three people fail, if its not those next to you - its you'

But I still love Leicester medical school. Genuinely wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    In our first week of introductory lectures during freshers week they said to us:

'Look to your left, look to your right. Now one of three people fail, if its not those next to you - its you'

But I still love Leicester medical school. Genuinely wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
    :eek: Our intro lecture stat was about how many people would be marrying someone in the lecture theatre!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    :eek: Our intro lecture stat was about how many people would be marrying someone in the lecture theatre!
    Isn't it a similar stat - 1/3rd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Aww thats a nice statistic . Nicer than failing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Aww thats a nice statistic . Nicer than failing anyway.

I don't remember the exact stat because I had decided I definitely wasn't going to be one of them because 'not a medic' was on my checklist!

So far (!) I'd say much less than 1/3rd from my pre-clinical matriculation cohort... but if you fudge it a bit & start including clinical transfers, GEM interbreeders and cross cohorts then the numbers go up...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Writing these anatomy notes for my last presentation tomorrow is killing me :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think a very significant portion (as in most) of the life of a medic can be summarised in one word - tired.

ReputationRep:
    I think we got told about 10% would marry someone else in the room. I think they're probably not too far wrong.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I think we got told about 10% would marry someone else in the room. I think they're probably not too far wrong.
    Yep. Had that intro lecture a few weeks back :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This thread is making me jaded ahead of my time.

ReputationRep:
    Seems the ITU at the hospital I used to work at is in a bad way.

http://www.nowbath.co.uk/explosion-a...sive-care-unit

Scary stuff indeed.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Just went down to tesco to look for cheap reject-aisle stuff and bumped into Max Pemberton :awesome:

Such an awkward way to meet, but he's awesome and had a nice brief chat :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Anybody have any tips for trying to learn embryology? I'm trying to use Langman's and it's just really complicated trying to remember it. Is it really just a job where I need to draw and redraw diagrams?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.