The Spanish Football Thread Watch

This discussion is part of a series.
view next
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didn't even realise it was done and dusted. I thought the 5.10pm showing was LIVE only to get a shock when on the BBC website.

Seems a very lethargic performance from Real. A midfield three of Kroos, Isco and Khedira didn't inspire me with confidence tbf so imagine it was easy for Atletico to tire them out..
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Torressurection in full effect.
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Meh, you could and can still see that Torres is nowhere near good enough to be the main striker, but he's good in a support role in conjunction with another striker, if he is the no.9 then he has to be with a second striker who is responsible for the creative play, he's just unable to do both. His pace at Liverpool meant that he was capable of getting into positions better but now he has to change his runs and dribbles which leads to him having a lower impact on the game as a main striker. The amount of offsides that Torres made at Chelsea and even so far at Atlético in the derbies/vs Barcelona shows that.

Looks good though, I like Torres' ability to drift on a wing and put in a good cross. He used to do that at Chelsea, but obviously a crossing game doesn't work at Chelsea. Firstly he should be in the one in the box receiving crosses as nobody playing next to him was tall or physical enough to really utilise crossing from wide areas as a viable option, secondly his drifting out wide destroyed the focus of our attacking play as he struggles to then get into a good position, problem is then when he does get the ball into the box he has to run through a bunch of players to get to goal, it was a common theme and obviously with his lack of pace, leads to his subsequent dispossession. Costa works better for Chelsea and Atlético as he actually is capable of playing with his back to goal even if it's not his main strength and he has better pace and spatial awareness, so when he runs the channels a few seconds later he's making a run near post when Torres wouldn't bust a gut to make that run. Torres Having another striker staying in the box while he drifts out wide negates both of these problems.

Anyway I didn't watch the game only watched highlights(mums car broke down ffs), but Saúl got a goal and an assist before coming off with injury (despite coming on as a substitute for the injured Koke lol). Looking like a real player. Never heard of the guy until this season, but Atlético's youth system/scouting network is definitely one to look out for. Many quality players coming through around the 20yr old mark.
Zander01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Harsh freekick on Bilbao there but they got away with a foul on suarez so evens out
Zander01
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not even joking messi should have had 4 assists this half
jit987
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What a match it has been so far! Neymar left :P
Zander01
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
MSN strike again. It's almost as if it's too easy. And Bilbao away is usually anything but...
CB91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This game is mental.
Zander01
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
5-2 and that was with a fair amount of wasted chances...

I'd be ****ting myself if I were City
jit987
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lionel Messi now holds the record for the most La Liga goals (267) AND the joint La Liga assists (105) with Figo. He's only 27...
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jit987)
Lionel Messi now holds the record for the most La Liga goals (267) AND the joint La Liga assists (105) with Figo. He's only 27...
7 assists and 10 goals in 9 games this year so far. :sogood:

Ronaldo has 4 goals and 1 assist in 7 games, for the comparison.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
City will most likely lose. Really don't see how they'll do well.

Messi and Ronaldo are probably equal so far this season. Ronaldo went beast mode earlier so won the Balon D'or, now Messi is in sparkling form. You can see now Ronaldo has lost form Real are waning a little when they were looking unstoppable earlier on.

Also just seen a stat for Suarez, when starting as a ST he has had 5 goals and 5 assists in 10 appearances. When starting as a right winger he has had 0 goals and 2 assists in 5 appearances.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ronaldo had a sparkling October and November thats about it. Since then he has cooled off big time.
Zander01
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Perhaps he's not as fit as people still like to believe
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Atleti are undefeated in their last six games against Real.
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How can the winner of the Ballon D'or winner routinely play **** against Atletico Madrid? Granted Atletico are the champions of La Liga and and CL finalists who ultimately lost by running out of steam, but Juanfran's back pocket is no place for the supposed world's best player.
Icecream1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Stalin)
Atleti are undefeated in their last six games against Real.
They have won 4 of those games and Real have not won any. I can't remember the last time Atleti did the league double of Real, it must have been before most of us were born.

It is a shame for them that their last defeat against Real happened in the biggest game, which they should have won as well, the referee should have blown for full time. If Real had lost that final (the opportunity to win the illustrious La Decima) it would have been a full meltdown at Real.
Undisclosed 15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
City will most likely lose. Really don't see how they'll do well.

Messi and Ronaldo are probably equal so far this season. Ronaldo went beast mode earlier so won the Balon D'or, now Messi is in sparkling form. You can see now Ronaldo has lost form Real are waning a little when they were looking unstoppable earlier on.

Also just seen a stat for Suarez, when starting as a ST he has had 5 goals and 5 assists in 10 appearances. When starting as a right winger he has had 0 goals and 2 assists in 5 appearances.
Messi>Ronaldo. When Barca were playinh bad Messi was still awesome. He carried Braca singlehandly and kept them in the title race for 3 months. He had to create and score. All season he has been amazing. He has been 2 players in 1. The same cannot be said of Ronaldo. His early season form was only speactacular due to his TEN penalties. Without pens, Neymar has scored more goals for club and country this season. Let alone Messi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thing is Messi was still pretty awesome this season just he was assisting more than scoring but people don't really care about that so they assumed he was playing poorly.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Undisclosed 15)
Messi>Ronaldo. When Barca were playinh bad Messi was still awesome. He carried Braca singlehandly and kept them in the title race for 3 months. He had to create and score. All season he has been amazing. He has been 2 players in 1. The same cannot be said of Ronaldo. His early season form was only speactacular due to his TEN penalties. Without pens, Neymar has scored more goals for club and country this season. Let alone Messi

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is true, Ronaldo has been getting shedloads of pens this season.

I don't think Ronaldo creates as much and he tends to be getting chances put on a plate for him. Barça I think have got the title in the bag. It's between Atlético and Real for 2nd place.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (34)
17%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (84)
42%
Nope, not that interesting (82)
41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise