Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    We are getting Sebastian Perez, im pretty sure we don't need any more CDMs...

side note: you know being a liverpool fan is dead when Diego Costa rejects you.
    That's jokes too peak

ReputationRep:
    Do we really want Suarez guys? This isn't a guy who will finish his career at Arsenal. I can see him moving in a season or two at most to Real or another major European club if he is a major impact. He has a 66% record of being a prick to previous employers.

I really don't want him at our club. It's obvious he wants Madrid (and I bet they'll show their hand at the last) and if he does come to North London, it will be simply a stepping stone. Added to that he might damage our reputation as he's so unpredictable.

He would be a very-unwenger signing of all sorts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Do we really want Suarez guys? This isn't a guy who will finish his career at Arsenal. I can see him moving in a season or two at most to Real or another major European club if he is a major impact. He has a 66% record of being a prick to previous employers.

I really don't want him at our club. It's obvious he wants Madrid (and I bet they'll show their hand at the last) and if he does come to North London, it will be simply a stepping stone. Added to that he might damage our reputation as he's so unpredictable.

If we provide him with consistent champions league football and trophies, which I'm sure we'll do with him on board, I really can't see him going anywhere.To be honest, I'm glad the club is doing everything they can to end our trophy drought, even if it means getting someone like Suarez. It is a gamble, but I've had enough of our rival club's fans trolling and making fun of us cos we haven't won anything in the last 8 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    If we provide him with consistent champions league football and trophies, which I'm sure we'll do with him on board, I really can't see him going anywhere.To be honest, I'm glad the club is doing everything they can to end our trophy drought, even if it means getting someone like Suarez. It is a gamble, but I've had enough of our rival club's fans trolling and making fun of us cos we haven't won anything in the last 8 years.
    I'd personally prefer Rooney for £30-35m or something. I'm pretty sure United would be more willing to deal with us than Chelsea.

I think Rooney is still exceptional quality tbh. He was played out of position last season when he did play. Yes, he has fitness issues but I think he's rather bored of United rather than bored of football. Even if he goes to Chelsea, I do hope United let him leave for the good of his career if anything. He doesn't deserve to be a squad player.

Although I don't want Suarez, I also cannot for the life of me seeing him joining us. If he desperately wants to go and play UCL football, his value will ultimately be slashed and he'll be shipped abroad. After all, this is the same club that threw £20m down the drain with the Andy Carroll fiasco.

ReputationRep:

No lose situation. If he comes only for a year then we'll have hada WC striker for 12 months when these are almost non existent these days and we'll sell at a profit(Wenger...:rolleyes:) or he stays for a few years.

He could damage the reputation of the club but Wenger is known to be a father figure to players so might straighten him out. 20-30 goals a season is worth the aggro either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    No lose situation. If he comes only for a year then we'll have hada WC striker for 12 months when these are almost non existent these days and we'll sell at a profit(Wenger...:rolleyes:) or he stays for a few years.

He could damage the reputation of the club but Wenger is known to be a father figure to players so might straighten him out. 20-30 goals a season is worth the aggro either way.
    I don't think his value will increase above £50m tbh.

You're assuming he'll leave for a profit, I very much doubt that. £50m is a lot. £60m for a 27 year old is very expensive - Suarez would probably need to hit 45-50 goals to achieve this sort of price. Say, Real come along in a year. They say they want Suarez. Suarez jumps. Says he wants to leave. Real say they only want to pay £35m, what happens? Player power always works in this day and age.

I'm not after quick expensive success. I would prefer to build a team who can take us back to his early years - that's not done by signing hot headed want-away players before they've even signed. It's every South American's dream to be playing for Real Madrid and he's consistently expressed his preference for a transfer to the Bernabeu.

I'm not sure want Suarez will sort all our problems out. Watching the Emirates cup, it seems something serious is missing. Such slow build up play even though we had 2 speedy wingers on the Sunday. A striker will only do so much for us.

ReputationRep:
    arsenal are going to finish 6th

ReputationRep:
    I don't think his value will increase above £50m tbh.

You're assuming he'll leave for a profit, I very much doubt that. £50m is a lot. £60m for a 27 year old is very expensive - Suarez would probably need to hit 45-50 goals to achieve this sort of price. Say, Real come along in a year. They say they want Suarez. Suarez jumps. Says he wants to leave. Real say they only want to pay £35m, what happens? Player power always works in this day and age.

I'm not after quick expensive success. I would prefer to build a team who can take us back to his early years - that's not done by signing hot headed want-away players before they've even signed. It's every South American's dream to be playing for Real Madrid and he's consistently expressed his preference for a transfer to the Bernabeu.

I'm not sure want Suarez will sort all our problems out. Watching the Emirates cup, it seems something serious is missing. Such slow build up play even though we had 2 speedy wingers on the Sunday. A striker will only do so much for us.
    Padolski was just terrible and Giroud looks like he is gonna miss 9/10 chances he gets.

I think a striker is atleast 50% of the problem we currently have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manty)
    arsenal are going to finish 6th
    History tells us otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Padolski was just terrible and Giroud looks like he is gonna miss 9/10 chances he gets.

I think a striker is atleast 50% of the problem we currently have.
    True, something is missing up front. Suarez might take us fighting for 2nd/3rd.

But something is seriously wrong with our midfield. It only gets going when time is running out or we go behind. Why is that? Barcelona manage to play similarly but move the ball far quicker...that's what I think is really missing, quick ball play. Are our players just not able to do that or what? It angers me when we knock the ball around the half way line for 20 minutes, then try something and lose it. At least give it to the opposition and try and create space in the movement than hold it for ages going nowhere.

ReputationRep:

But something is seriously wrong with our midfield. It only gets going when time is running out or we go behind. Why is that? Barcelona manage to play similarly but move the ball far quicker...that's what I think is really missing, quick ball play. Are our players just not able to do that or what? It angers me when we knock the ball around the half way line for 20 minutes, then try something and lose it. At least give it to the opposition and try and create space in the movement than hold it for ages going nowhere.
    Because we don't have Nasri and Fabregas who could unlock defences anymore, training session and strategy are great but at the end of the day there comes a point where you can't replace quality with strategy and playing style.

we won't play like that until we buy 2 more top draw midfielders which I just don't see wenger doing. The man will probably commit suicide before spending 30+mill on 3 players in one transfer window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Because we don't have Nasri and Fabregas who could unlock defences anymore, training session and strategy are great but at the end of the day there comes a point where you can't replace quality with strategy and playing style.

we won't play like that until we buy 2 more top draw midfielders which I just don't see wenger doing. The man will probably commit suicide before spending 30+mill on 3 players in one transfer window.
    Fabregas yes but Cazorla>Nasri.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to agree. First half of the 2010-11 season though, Nasri was magical and Cazorla hasn't hit those heights. But in terms of consistency maybe so.

I'm waiting for Cazorla to perform in the big matches however. He seems to do his magic and passes wonderfully against weaker opposition.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe now but not when Nasri played for us, thing is he could dribble past players which cazorla can't. That last year before he left :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Maybe now but not when Nasri played for us, thing is he could dribble past players which cazorla can't. That last year before he left :zomg:
    First six months of the year he left. He drifted the second half but up until Jan '11 he was scintillating, probably best midfielder playing at the time.

ReputationRep:
    First six months of the year he left. He drifted the second half but up until Jan '11 he was scintillating, probably best midfielder playing at the time.
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Noone29 is spot on. Nasri never reached the heights he hit at the end of 2010 before or after, he outperformed his true level.Hence City paid 25m but would be lucky to get 15m now. But we are missing a player like Nasri who can cut inside from the wing and get involved in a more subtle passing game as well as mix up his forward play. Podolski/Walcott are one dimensional and arent good passers at all and AOC isnt great at this either, too direct. Cazorla cant dribble but hes brilliant despite that, Wilshere does enough dribbling for the two of them.

ReputationRep:
    He'd win you the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    He'd win you the league.
    He really won't. Arsenal have bigger issues than just a striker. He'll certainly help but we still have to create the chances, and I'm not sure we will with our current midfield. There's a great lack of creativity.

Someone, other than Wilshere, gets the ball, but won't try and dribble and drive the team, they just pass to the next man and hopes he does something. Then Walcott will get it, bomb down the right and lose it/get outmuscled or deliver a poor cross, or Sagna will do it. Walcott will always have limits as long as he's weak. I personally don't think he will get any better. Stick him in La Liga and he'd probably cause serious issues for defences as it's less physical.

Tbh, Gervinho would actually have a go and I thank him for that. He offered us something a bit different but his finishing was so woeful that he'd never cut it. He had enough opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, he should have stayed at Arsenal, he had huge potential certainly one of Wenger's classic finds. I was so upset when he left, he was one of my favourite players. I will never forget that game where he tore Fulham a new one.

ReputationRep:
    He really won't. Arsenal have bigger issues than just a striker. He'll certainly help but we still have to create the chances, and I'm not sure we will with our current midfield. There's a great lack of creativity.
    You don't understand how good Suarez actually is... he is without a doubt in the top 10 players in the world. He's better than van Persie, probably better than Bale. He would literally drag you to first. His movement would lead to orgasm after orgasm for Cazorla and Walcott, and he would create as many chances as the other 10 men on the team put together. His finishing has a touch of genius about it. Liverpool football club is the most successful club in England, and has had a ridiculous number of world class players down the years... and Suarez, after 30 months, is already being mentioned as one of the most talented players to ever play for the club. 'One of the most talented players' is not a phrase that was said much for Torres, who broke every goalscoring record we had - Suarez is a level above that. He's sublime, an absolute natural at everything to do with football. Out of nowhere he will produce moments of genius, be it a defence splitting pass half volleyed assist or a cerebral dinked near post finish (these two came against your London rivals). He is one of the finest players on the planet and you would probably win the title with him, other weaknesses in your team or not...

You won't get him, but you would win the title with him imo.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.