This discussion is closed.
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
:eek: Heretic. Burn him.......

Inflation adjusted Starwars 4 (1) is actually second. Starwars 3 had the highest grossing weekend for a while but only got 13th. Since Avatar reawakened the cinema though in 09 we've gone from 6 movies above $1bn to 19.

Not sure it will challenge Titanic and Avatar but if its even half decent then i think the Avengers in 3rd is the target on $1.5bn.

Technically i think Starwars is British, been made in Pinewood Studios.
Yeah it should easily surpass Skyfall but I'm hoping Harry Potter can hold on.

Not sure it makes it British but amazing numbers of major films are made in the UK now: Guardians of the Galaxy, Maleficent, both Avengers, Thor and upcoming films like Fury and Jupiter Ascending.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ukip72)
Yeah it should easily surpass Skyfall but I'm hoping Harry Potter can hold on.

Not sure it makes it British but amazing numbers of major films are made in the UK now: Guardians of the Galaxy, Maleficent, both Avengers, Thor and upcoming films like Fury and Jupiter Ascending.
Aye. Startrek 12 and Fast and Furious 6 were set in London too.
ukip72
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye. Startrek 12 and Fast and Furious 6 were set in London too.
This is all mostly down to tax incentives though, long may they continue.

There have been 12 Star Trek films :eek:
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is all mostly down to tax incentives though, long may they continue.

There have been 12 Star Trek films :eek:
Yup.

Christ, it's like you've never any sci-fi movie.

Your task over the next week is simple. You are to stream Starwars original trilogy (4-5-6) and then Startrek 2, 6 and 12 (the latest one and a remake of 2).
ukip72
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yup.

Christ, it's like you've never any sci-fi movie.

Your task over the next week is simple. You are to stream Starwars original trilogy (4-5-6) and then Startrek 2, 6 and 12 (the latest one and a remake of 2).
Sci Fi set in space is not really my kind of film TBH, I prefer Sci Fi like The Hunger Games.

Were the other 9 all ****?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sci Fi set in space is not really my kind of film TBH, I prefer Sci Fi like The Hunger Games.

Were the other 9 all ****?
Few people who watch Starwars don't like it after. Starwars and Bananas are near universal in taste. Try Starwars 6 (Return of the Jedi) and then if you like that, watch 4-5-6.

1 was awful, 3 is only decent if you watch 2-3-4, 4 was good but quite different, 5 was decent but had a low budget, 7 was a bit dry until the space battle, 8 was pretty good but you have to be sci-fi fan to like it, 9 was decent, 10 had a great storyline but was poorly written and 11 is good but it's the restart so it screws with the timeline.
Jean-Luc Picard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A couple of changes to 3 and that could have been a classic, 2 was just crap apart from when he goes off on one, 1 was good but they should have ripped the storyline up for that.
3 had potential but the latter half of it just felt kinda of rushed, would've worked much better without the baggage of the first two as well really, I found the guy who played Anakin incredibly annoying as well, didn't find it believable that he could be Darth Vader at all. 2 was a complete train wreck, 1 would've been tolerable had it not been for Jar-Jar & the pointless podracing stuff, Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon stuff was decent but it's still not even close to the originals for me.
Jean-Luc Picard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
my take on the Star Trek films;

1 is ****e
2 is one of my favourite films ever
3 is okay but will make zero sense if you don't watch 2
4 is good fun but the plot is a bit out there even for Trek
5 is just bizzare
6 is very good
7 has it's moments but the plot again is about wtf at times
8 is awesome, again one of my fave ever films
9 is meh
10 is meh
11 is a refreshing reboot & has some good moments but it doesn't really have the Trek feel of the others
12 has a dreadful plot (basically a reworking of 2 with things changed) but some good moments
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The prequels get way too much hate. Fair enough Attack of the Clones is abysmal, but the Phantom Menace is a great ntroduction to the saga for younger viewers and Revenge of the Sith is right behind the Empire Strikes Back for me.

1. V - Empire Strikes Back
2. III - Revenge of the Sith
3. IV - A New Hope
4. I - Phantom Menace
=4. VI - Return of the Jedi

6. II - Attack of the Clones
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The prequels are **** to a mega degree, absolute abominations the lot of them (though III is bearable) but I am still looking forward to these sequels: It's JJ Abrams for starters, what else do you need?
Jean-Luc Picard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
The prequels are **** to a mega degree, absolute abominations the lot of them (though III is bearable) but I am still looking forward to these sequels: It's JJ Abrams for starters, what else do you need?
he's just directing it though...doesn't mean it will have a plot that's any good...or good casting, etc...
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm very worried that the Star Wars sequels will tear-up the canon that the comics have built up over the last decade. The Imperial Remnant, Darth Sidious' return, the Yuuzhon Vong War... all could disappear. And with the prequels I think the criticisms based on Hollywood ****, like child characters, comic relief (the Gungan who shall not be named) etc., are pretty sound, but the actual setting of the series, the wider plot (Trade Wars, the Separatists, Sith infiltration of the Republic, fall of the Jedi) was very strong, way less "space opera" than the original trilogy.
Superunknown17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
The prequels get way too much hate. Fair enough Attack of the Clones is abysmal, but the Phantom Menace is a great ntroduction to the saga for younger viewers and Revenge of the Sith is right behind the Empire Strikes Back for me.

1. V - Empire Strikes Back
2. III - Revenge of the Sith
3. IV - A New Hope
4. I - Phantom Menace
=4. VI - Return of the Jedi

6. II - Attack of the Clones
I agree to an extent but I wouldn't say Phantom Menace is as good as Return of the Jedi. Phantom Menace had some staggeringly dull moments, never really felt the same way about RotJ.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Am I the only one who thought attack of the clones was good?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me its..

Return of the Jedi (Could have probably got somebody better than Ewok's and needed more Yoda but a near flawless film)
A new Hope (Brilliant introduction and worthy of the term epic. Hard to believe the movie was almost cancelled)
Return of the Sith (Some CGI errors and poor acting and writing at times but it was pretty brilliant and should have been the bar set for the other prequels)
Empire strikes back (Brilliant film and loved Yoda but i found it a bit dry, only works very well when you've watched 4)

Phantom Menace (A great standalone movie but should have led a spin off trilogy with ATOC followed by a Clone Wars Film and Return of the Sith making up the prequel)

Attack of the Clones (Very much made for children, the story was not at all well developed with gaps everywhere)

Apparently in addition to the new trilogy and spin offs there's talk of a Obi-Wan trilogy set between 3 and 4, if Ewan Mgregor will act then that could be brilliant.

Was wary of the Disney takeover at first (well i was more excited that we were getting a new movie actually) but with what they've done with Marvel this could all work out pretty great.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Am I the only one who thought attack of the clones was good?
Compared to all movies it's good (6/10 for me) but compared to Starwars as a whole its the runt of the litter. Far too much poor dialogue and far too little exploration of the sub plots.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And I've never seen star wars
Jean-Luc Picard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
hipster
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
:eek: Get watching dammit.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
hipster
Do you even know what a hipster is?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (34)
17%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (84)
42%
Nope, not that interesting (82)
41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise