Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Why do people talk like London and Scotland deserve more than the rest of the country? The majority have spoken.
    Scotland were promised that by staying in they would stay in the EU.

interestingly should Scotland leave the UK and join the EU (I hope to go with it!) it would get twice the number of MEPs it currently has if not a few more.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)

interestingly should Scotland leave the UK and join the EU (I hope to go with it!) it would get twice the number of MEPs it currently has if not a few more.
    They were unaware of the referendum?

They were told that there was never a gyarentee that by leaving theyd be allowed to join the EU, there still isnt one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    There are rumours that Cameron stood down so he wouldn't have to trigger article 50, May wins and then announces that she has Decided we are better off in to protect the economy and the referendum is forgotten.
    Idiotic conspiracy nuts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    They were unaware of the referendum?

They were told that there was never a gyarentee that by leaving theyd be allowed to join the EU, there still isnt one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Considering this was before the general election yesh...

They were told that staying was the only way to protect EU membership.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Considering this was before the general election yesh...

They were told that staying was the only way to protect EU membership.
    So they had no idea that an EU referendum would happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    So they had no idea that an EU referendum would happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Still why should Scotland get what it wants and not the majority of the U.K.?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Still why should Scotland get what it wants and not the majority of the U.K.?
    Well that's not mutually exclusive. Scotland can break away and then we are all happy. London could do the same to make the UK permanently Tory and an independent Scotland would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well that's not mutually exclusive. Scotland can break away and then we are all happy. London could do the same to make the UK permanently Tory and an independent Scotland would be great
    An independent Scotland wouldn't last long, if the eu survives the next few years they will have to speed up their plans for a USE
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    An independent Scotland wouldn't last long, if the eu survives the next few years they will have to speed up their plans for a USE
    I don't doubt that. But I feel like scots would be okay with it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    No.
    Thats a flat out lie and you know it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Aph)
    I don't doubt that. But I feel like scots would be okay with it.
    Now that's what is stupid, Scotland doesn't want to be in the UK where power is being devolved back to Scotland, but does want to be in the EU where the flow of power goes only one way - to the EU.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Thats a flat out lie and you know it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The referendum was in 2014, the manifesto promise and bill was 2015... Unless we are claiming that Nicola sturgeon has some sort of crystal ball in holyrude?
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Now that's what is stupid, Scotland doesn't want to be in the UK where power is being devolved back to Scotland, but does want to be in the EU where the flow of power goes only one way - to the EU.
    One would assume it's because the EU is more politically aligned? Or it would be happy to be a fully functioning state in a USE with constitutional rights and not be at the mercy of Westminster?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I love how people think May is'nt a euro-skeptic and would keep us in. She might be loyal but she's been railing at it for years.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's not about the logistics of administration it's about identity and nationalism - just like the EU referendum.

ReputationRep:
    Do we return to imperial weights and measures now we are to leave the EU?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aph)
    We certainly would not be happy, we'd have lost a part of the greater whole.

That said, England is all but permanently Tory even with London. Since we joined the EU, Labour have won an English plurality just twice. That should really scare the crap out of the left.

A British exit removes by far the largest active road block to federalisation. Take out the UK, Poland, Lithuania, Croatia and Latvia and at a government level at least, you basically have no opposition to it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I do believe the EU is now going to rapidly progress down the road of either disintegration or federalisation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I do believe the EU is now going to rapidly progress down the road of either disintegration or federalisation.
    I suspect we may see one or two more states go depending on how certain election results go, especially in Holland and France.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I suspect we may see one or two more states go depending on how certain election results go, especially in Holland and France.
    I see little reason to change the opinion that i've held for a few years which is that what we'll see is half a dozen nations leaving but a core of about 20 that go the whole hog. Once the federation is born and the commission/parliament gets real power we'll then see a surge across the Med and into the Middle East.

We're probably looking at 2030 before a federation is born though.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.