Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

• View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastiestZombie)
    Went to the big Pets at Home near me today, now I'm regretting not looking to see if they sell any powerful tranquilizer. Why can't time just go quicker?!
    These 14 hours are going to go so slowly then as soon as track goes live the time will go as fast as the speed of light!

ReputationRep:
    Guys is there AS mark schemes for subjects other than Maths?Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If we exceed our grades (which I won't) and adjustment is available...does clicking the button for adjustment mean we can't take our firm? Like it rejects it in some way? Or does it just mean we can see the unis available for adjustment but can ultimately choose to stay with our firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Because UCAS systems are old and that's the way it has always been done. It's useful for equality monitoring purposes.

Universities don't hold grudges or give a **** where you previously applied. There might be concern if you've changed your mind dramatically but in that case offering a PS for the new subject (or even speaking about it well on the phone) will usually allay those concerns.
    Equality monitoring?

Okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popo111)
    Hi PQ

Do unis usually offer adjustment for medicine course? Eg : If I exceed my offer and have the grades needed for medicine, could I apply there through adjustment?
    There are clearing places for medicine - they're not usually advertised (http://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/clearing is the exception).

The places are usually filled up from waiting lists/reserve lists of applicants who applied and where interviewed but didn't get an offer (but were near the top of the shortlist for offers) AND who also didn't get an offer from any of their other medicine choices. The people on those shortlists will usually have been notified before results day.

It's not unknown for applicants to get into medicine through clearing at a university that they didn't initially apply to (a number of years ago someone from TSR went to a clearing open day fro Dundee because they wanted to apply for medicine the following year - they had their grades, mentioned it at the open day and they were able to make them an offer for medicine that year) it is extremely unusual though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smegsxo)
    If we exceed our grades (which I won't) and adjustment is available...does clicking the button for adjustment mean we can't take our firm? Like it rejects it in some way? Or does it just mean we can see the unis available for adjustment but can ultimately choose to stay with our firm?
    No. The point of adjustment is you look for better courses without rejecting your firm. It's clearing where you have to reject a firm and insurance choice. Smh has no one researched

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    No. The point of adjustment is you look for better courses without rejecting your firm. It's clearing where you have to reject a firm and insurance choice. Smh has no one researched
    There's no need to be rude about it, it was just a question.

ReputationRep:

Waiting for a phone call asking you to come in for an interview like

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  127.2 KB
    Kill me now....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popo111)
    Hi PQ

Do unis usually offer adjustment for medicine course? Eg : If I exceed my offer and have the grades needed for medicine, could I apply there through adjustment?
    I think so- friend went from Keele to Cardiff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Every year hundreds of applicants click the BIG RED BUTTON on track by "mistake" (lack of self control!).
    If you don't phone any universities about adjustment or you don't accept any offers over the phone for adjustment then nothing will change on your application - you stay with your firm.

(Original post by Aph)
    Equality monitoring?

Okay
    Like "in 2015 we made offers to x% of white students and y% of BME students on the basis of their predictions, z% of white students then achieved our standard offer and s% of BME students" - to spot any underlying bias in admissions decisions or just where admissions processes are leading to applicants being rejected (or put off accepting offers) by the admissions process - so in that example it could be that BME students are more likely to have lower predictions and so a university will amend their policy to make aspirational offers above predictions to applicants. It could look at race, gender, experience of care, disability blah blah - anything that could be causing bias in the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Every year hundreds of applicants click the BIG RED BUTTON on track by "mistake" (lack of self control!).
    If you don't phone any universities about adjustment or you don't accept any offers over the phone for adjustment then nothing will change on your application - you stay with your firm.

Like "in 2015 we made offers to x% of white students and y% of BME students on the basis of their predictions, z% of white students then achieved our standard offer and s% of BME students" - to spot any underlying bias in admissions decisions or just where admissions processes are leading to applicants being rejected (or put off accepting offers) by the admissions process - so in that example it could be that BME students are more likely to have lower predictions and so a university will amend their policy to make aspirational offers above predictions to applicants. It could look at race, gender, experience of care, disability blah blah - anything that could be causing bias in the system.
    You are of great help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    Has your college phoned people in the past?
    Yessir they have

ReputationRep:
    so if we take quantum theory, at this moment until I will have opened my results I am both rejected and accepted at the same time
    and depending on the quantum interpretation used, when I open my letter in one universe I will be rejected and in another I will be accepted. HM. or the wave function simply collapses and I will be either rejected or accepted :P

ReputationRep:
    There's no need to be rude about it, it was just a question.
    I just don't understand how you can be asking that literally a day before results day. We were already informed on that stuff back in year 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    so if we take quantum theory, at this moment until I will have opened my results I am both rejected and accepted at the same time
    and depending on the quantum interpretation used, when I open my letter in one universe I will be rejected and in another I will be accepted. HM. or the wave function simply collapses and I will be either rejected or accepted :P
    We all have passed in one world

ReputationRep:
    Schrodingers results

ReputationRep:
    Arguably unless you failed to meet your targets only just then you are definitely one or the other right now. Because the decision has been made already you just haven't seen it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    I just don't understand how you can be asking that literally a day before results day. We were already informed on that stuff back in year 12
    Not everyone's school is that great. My school didn't know about the scrapping of student grants until we told them! I hadn't thought about it until today as I really don't think I'll need it but...

ReputationRep:
    Impressive words there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your exams so far?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.