Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    So you'd be applying for 2016 entry? Do you have your results for this year?

Consider aswell the sort of area you would like to work in - personally I feel like that should be a huge consideration when applying for the PGCE and you will be spending the year working in schools in that area.

You can usually judge the Course provider based on their employment and OFSTED rating as a base.

I think off the top of my head, the guardian allows you to compare training providers based on these statistics.

I think it's also important to inform you at this tstage that doing your PGCE at a 'better' university, really does not matter at the PGCE stage. You have a solid degree/MSc from a good university for your undergrad which is more important imo.

Also, I'm not sure if it works the same for undergrad as it does for PGCE but can you apply to both Cambridge and Oxford?
    I have 59% from this year which was better than last year (53%), the average for the masters year is ~64% and I'm going to work really hard.

I was thinking either North East or the areas surrounding London. I'm considering the HMC teacher training scheme which seem to be based around London.

I just hope unis see past a 2:2 and realise it's at a top 5/50 world uni.

Yeah you are able to at a masters level.

ReputationRep:
    *In limbo*

Not quite a 'current student' but no longer an applicant lol.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    *In limbo*

Not quite a 'current student' but no longer an applicant lol.
    We're the same. No longer current students but not yet really active NQTs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    We're the same. No longer current students but not yet really active NQTs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is an odd feeling! I am torn between being eager to get started, and just enjoying the time off
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    It is an odd feeling! I am torn between being eager to get started, and just enjoying the time off
    Definitely enjoy the time off. Everything you need to know you'll be told during the course so just enjoy the time off and read lots. Reading any fiction on your reading list would be a good idea and looking at young adult novels helps too. Anything that helps to get you into the mindset of a teenager/child will help you out more than anything stressful.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely enjoy the time off. Everything you need to know you'll be told during the course so just enjoy the time off and read lots. Reading any fiction on your reading list would be a good idea and looking at young adult novels helps too. Anything that helps to get you into the mindset of a teenager/child will help you out more than anything stressful.
    Thank you!

I do have a few texts that are generally studied in schools: Jekyll and Hyde, Blood Brothers and Of Mice and Men. I will read those leisurely over the summer

There isn't much chance of me doing anything that requires much concentration as I have my four children off school Although, I am off to get a tattoo later today

Coincidentally, I have just had an email from the uni with a profile form to complete. It also informs me I will receive a further email, with start date, very soon.

Phew - at least I have finally had some contact from them

ReputationRep:
    So I can't do my NQT year at the place I'm starting work in August. It doesn't necessarily bother me because my alternative was supply teaching where I couldn't do it anyway. According to TES you can't do your NQT 100% in sixth form though? You can do your NQT in a college but there has to be some days in under 16 education, which makes no sense to me.

It makes me wonder, what harm would come to me if I never did the NQT? I plan to stick in post 16 education so surely it wouldn't be overly detrimental to me to not do the NQT? Although it doesn't sound like I could do NQT in post 16 anywa. I don't knwo, I find the whole thing confusing and there isn't anywhere to find out more about it so I'm at a loss.

Are you doing this at the moment? Are you using your time off this summer to prepare for NQT in anyway?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    So I can't do my NQT year at the place I'm starting work in August. It doesn't necessarily bother me because my alternative was supply teaching where I couldn't do it anyway. According to TES you can't do your NQT 100% in sixth form though? You can do your NQT in a college but there has to be some days in under 16 education, which makes no sense to me.

It makes me wonder, what harm would come to me if I never did the NQT? I plan to stick in post 16 education so surely it wouldn't be overly detrimental to me to not do the NQT? Although it doesn't sound like I could do NQT in post 16 anywa. I don't knwo, I find the whole thing confusing and there isn't anywhere to find out more about it so I'm at a loss.

Are you doing this at the moment? Are you using your time off this summer to prepare for NQT in anyway?
    I think if you're staying post-16 it isn't a big worry but might be something worth getting just in case.

So far I've done nothing but binge watch Netflix and read a bit. Starting to slowly start my planning but because of my new class structure (3 x GCSE and 2 x sixth form) I can't really plan too far in advance until I seen how they react to the earlier stuff. I have a rough structure of the year with them and I'll probably plan the first 4 weeks with them but I worry about going further than that until I see what they actually know/how they learn/how things go.

My KS3 classes just need their course swapped from ICT to computing - same basic structure but more about computational thinking. I only have two KS3 classes and I only see them 15 times each throughout the entire year so I can probably plan the entire year in a day or two.

Have you done much? I'm really struggling to do much at the moment until I know more about my pupils. Doesn't help that there's not a head of department for computing :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

The main negative of not doing NQT tends to be that you would get rusty by the time you needed to do it, for example to take a job which only hires people with QTS - if you'll be teaching anyway in between this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I wouldn't worry about it right now certainly. Just enjoy the job that you're going in to and by the end of the year you might have more of an idea about whether you want to look for a position that can offer NQT in the future.

The only other thing will be, try to keep up to date with theory and be reflective in your own teaching. Use observations from SLT to improve, and refer to the teaching standards when thinking about how you're doing. This will not only help you improve as a teacher but it will keep you in practice if you do have to go to NQT.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone!

Congratulations on those who have got places. I got one for this September too for Primary PGCE and I am going to be blogging about it if anyone wants a read?

I was wondering as well, if there is any other bloggers who would like to join mine too? I am looking for other bloggers so hopefully have more traffic coming to the blog and more likely to get read and appreciated! Bit more fun to have a collective community of bloggers too, all of which trainee teachers.

My blog is at https://forgotmylessonplan.wordpress.com/about/ for anyone who wants to see!

Thanks guys and good luck for those applying this year!
    Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshbeno1991)
    Hey Everyone!

Congratulations on those who have got places. I got one for this September too for Primary PGCE and I am going to be blogging about it if anyone wants a read?

I was wondering as well, if there is any other bloggers who would like to join mine too? I am looking for other bloggers so hopefully have more traffic coming to the blog and more likely to get read and appreciated! Bit more fun to have a collective community of bloggers too, all of which trainee teachers.

My blog is at https://forgotmylessonplan.wordpress.com/about/ for anyone who wants to see!

Thanks guys and good luck for those applying this year!
    Josh
    Hi!

I also start in September, Secondary RE though! I too have started a blog to document the year we're about to endure/enjoy, I've just followed yours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissJRM)
    Hi!

I also start in September, Secondary RE though! I too have started a blog to document the year we're about to endure/enjoy, I've just followed yours
    Oh thank you I shall follow yours when I found out how to find who has followed me :P

Want ot tweet? I like meeting teacher friends!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I found out how and it informs me your blog doesn't exsist?! Link me?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Hi,

I'm secondary RE too...would love to follow the blog!

Laura

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else feeling bored this summer? I've got my first few weeks of KS4 and 5 all planned now and I'm doing various SKE bits for my sixth form classes.
    Although it has been bliss being able to go to the gym a couple of times a day and playing games!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else feeling bored this summer? I've got my first few weeks of KS4 and 5 all planned now and I'm doing various SKE bits for my sixth form classes.
    Although it has been bliss being able to go to the gym a couple of times a day and playing games!
    Hey! Sounds great, I'm bored too but I can't do any planning as I have no idea what I will be teaching!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Same. Bored half to death but I still have bits of planning to do. And I'm looking at self teaching AS maths so I'm not outsmarted by my pupils.

I really struggle with planning for KS5. I didn't really have much experience of teaching them. I've scared myself reading how NQTs should have a bit of KS5 experience but not too much and now I need to actually learn how to teach 9 hours of KS5 a week :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same. Bored half to death but I still have bits of planning to do. And I'm looking at self teaching AS maths so I'm not outsmarted by my pupils.

I really struggle with planning for KS5. I didn't really have much experience of teaching them. I've scared myself reading how NQTs should have a bit of KS5 experience but not too much and now I need to actually learn how to teach 9 hours of KS5 a week :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm nqt+1 and I've been given 4 ks5 classes. So nervous - I've got zero experience teaching ks5!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshbeno1991)
    Hey! Sounds great, I'm bored too but I can't do any planning as I have no idea what I will be teaching!
    Enjoy it whilst it lasts if you're about to start your PGCE

Luckily I was in school for a couple of weeks before the summer after finishing my PGCE, so I feel like I have a bit of a headstart come september when I know where I'm going!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same. I've got 2 KS5 classes - One 12 and one 13! I did NO KS5 teaching minus a few revision sessions on my PGCE so I'm a bit nervous... especially with the A-level changes!

Both the 12s and the 13s are also studying things that I have never studied myself which is great...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    I'm nqt+1 and I've been given 4 ks5 classes. So nervous - I've got zero experience teaching ks5!
    You'd think it'd be an important part of our training. It seems to important and potentially life changing if we get it wrong but there doesn't seem to be much guidance. I taught 1 hour of Y13 at my last placement but was under very very close supervision to make sure I didn't ruin anything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.