Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    If he was that good, Liverpool wouldn't be 7th. Has Roger paid you to promote Suarez lol... . I personally don't think he's as brilliant as people make out. I rate him the same as Falcao and Cavani but these players are still some distance behind Ronaldo/Messi.
    There's a million reasons why Liverpool didn't do so well last year even though Suarez was incredible. I have no reason to promote a scumbag ******** who's only brought my club into disrepute and will leave within 12 months... but I'm just saying, after having watched him game in game out for 30 months, he would get you a title.

ReputationRep:
    Headline of SkySports this morning:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8858391/

"Suarez: We have the written contract"

And Suarez says he will take further steps if the Reds continue to block his move to London.
    "I have the club's word and we have the written contract and we are happy to take this to the Premier League for them to decide the case, but I do not want it to come to that," he said.
    "I don't feel betrayed but the club promised me something a year ago, just as I promised them that I would stay and try everything possible to get us into the Champions League.
    "They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract. I'm not going to another club to hurt Liverpool."

If what Suarez is saying is true, then it's definitely Brendan who lacks "class". Certainly seems like he's trying to go, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not denying he's a top a player. He is. Top 10 strikers in the world. Not players though. And him alone wouldn't be enough to win them the league. Could see Arsenal push towards third place with him though.
    Surely top5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Podolski Suarez Walcott

Wilshere Cazorla

That team would rape most sides.
    Still not keen on Podolski. I just don't see what he offers us as a winger. I think we need to replace him, either with a better player or put Santi out wide and have another midfielder in his place in the middle. Podolski should be on the bench.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    He would get you a title.
    Lol, no he wouldn't.
    Arsenal isn't one striker away from winning the league.. Suarez won't cover the GK, Central defender or Midfielder they need. Infact if they don't get Suarez/another decent player in than 4th is looking difficult depending on Tottenham- though being Arsenal they will somehow probably manage it.
    Arsenal have the stability and foundations to be successful but they don't seem to be able to get the squad together to break more than scraping top 4, Wenger doesn't seem to have the need to address this bar buying Suarez/Higuain. It's fine to be going for a superstar/marqee signing but it would make more sense strengthening multiple position instead of just a striker.

Suarez thrived under us because we set up around him, but Arsenal isn't a 1 man team so it will be interesting to see how well he does if he does go there. He's fantastic so will still be great but the same as he was under us?
    Tbh it just seems like they want a 'superstar', they don't seem to want something specific bar 'goals', Higuain and Suarez are two very different players they're only real similarity is they put the ball in the back of the net.
    Bar that who are they looking for? They seem stuck, time is ticking and so far it's been another disappointing window.

ReputationRep:
    It's Agust 7th and still no concrete rumours of a player signing

ReputationRep:
    As of this week tottenham have a lot better starting 11 than us.

The league starts next week... Oh dear Arsene oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at a loss as to why none of you believe, like Arsene does, that our squad is able to challenge for the title - with or without Suarez, DM, CB & GK.

:toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    The scouse delusion has finally made its appearance this window, I was starting to get worried.
    Without suarez arsenal would come 4th at best, with suarez they'd come 2nd at best and 2nd's really pushing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    Lol, no he wouldn't.
    Arsenal isn't one striker away from winning the league.. Suarez won't cover the GK, Central defender or Midfielder they need. Infact if they don't get Suarez/another decent player in than 4th is looking difficult depending on Tottenham- though being Arsenal they will somehow probably manage it.
    Arsenal have the stability and foundations to be successful but they don't seem to be able to get the squad together to break more than scraping top 4, Wenger doesn't seem to have the need to address this bar buying Suarez/Higuain. It's fine to be going for a superstar/marqee signing but it would make more sense strengthening multiple position instead of just a striker.

Suarez thrived under us because we set up around him, but Arsenal isn't a 1 man team so it will be interesting to see how well he does if he does go there. He's fantastic so will still be great but the same as he was under us?
    Tbh it just seems like they want a 'superstar', they don't seem to want something specific bar 'goals', Higuain and Suarez are two very different players they're only real similarity is they put the ball in the back of the net.
    Bar that who are they looking for? They seem stuck, time is ticking and so far it's been another disappointing window.
    Szczesny will be persisted with for another season. Kosc/Per are good first choice CBs, they've proved successful so far. Wenger probably will bring in the DM they need.

Suarez didn't have a team built around him at Liverpool... he was the focal point, but there was no 'team'. His support for half a season was a 17 year old, and Stewart ****ing Downing, Borini who was **** before his injury too, and a porous midfield/defence. Suarez didn't have a team built around him... he was the team. He carried us completely for that half season. He turned aimless punts forward from Enrique into GOTS contenders and nothing situations into goals by nutmegging the likes of Clint Hill and going straight through to score. This delusion that Suarez had a team around him/needs a team around him is total bull****, he scored 49 goals in a calendar year off the wings at Ajax as well.

As for who Arsenal are looking for, it beats me too. No Suarez, no Higuain, likely no marquee signing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Szczesny will be persisted with for another season. Kosc/Per are good first choice CBs, they've proved successful so far. Wenger probably will bring in the DM they need.

Suarez didn't have a team built around him at Liverpool... he was the focal point, but there was no 'team'. His support for half a season was a 17 year old, and Stewart ****ing Downing, Borini who was **** before his injury too, and a porous midfield/defence. Suarez didn't have a team built around him... he was the team. He carried us completely for that half season. He turned aimless punts forward from Enrique into GOTS contenders and nothing situations into goals by nutmegging the likes of Clint Hill and going straight through to score. This delusion that Suarez had a team around him/needs a team around him is total bull****, he scored 49 goals in a calendar year off the wings at Ajax as well.

As for who Arsenal are looking for, it beats me too. No Suarez, no Higuain, likely no marquee signing.
    Don't think you watched them last season if you think their defence is "successful" and their goalkeeper is worth persisting with, they conceded 6 less than us and our defence was bad. Their defence was catastrophic after the first few games where they had a good run and they only managed to pull it together a little bit for the last few games. Wenger probably won't bring in a DM, because it's Wenger...

Most of what you just said is pedantic wording.
    When everyone is trying to get the ball to you and you're the focal point of the team than for loss of a better phrase it is practically shaped for that player, regardless of how **** the cogs are. Same with Bale, Tottenham built around him, get the ball to Bale and hope he scores. When your teams sole focus is to get it to you, you will always have more opportunities to score, it's simple maths.
    You seem to be forgetting the 11/12 season, where he tried to carry a useless team and struggled to score, Yakubu and Grant Holt scored more that season..

Most of this was just sidetracking from the original point of how silly it is to assume Suarez is going to win the title for them..

ReputationRep:
    So much hate for us. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact we're being ambitious in the transfer window?

ReputationRep:
    How much money have we actually cut off the wage bill this summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Without suarez arsenal would come 4th at best, with suarez they'd come 2nd at best and 2nd's really pushing it.
    Are you kidding me? Take look at RVP at Man United? without his goals they would've come 4th or 3rd but with his goals they won the league. Similar thing is going to happen with Suarez at Arsenal the only difference is our advanced players score goals too, so we should win the league but with superior goal difference in the history of the premier league.

Don't think you watched them last season if you think their defence is "successful" and their goalkeeper is worth persisting with, they conceded 6 less than us and our defence was bad. Their defence was catastrophic after the first few games where they had a good run and they only managed to pull it together a little bit for the last few games. Wenger probably won't bring in a DM, because it's Wenger...
    Just to touch upon this point, I think it's misleading to say it was just for the 'last couple of games': our defence has looked good in general since Wenger decided to go with a Koscielny-Mertesacker partnership at the back. :yes: So, Wenger first dropped Vermaelen for Koscielny in the Bayern Munich game at the Allianz; including that game, we conceded five in our last eleven, and didn't concede more than a goal in any match during that period. We've also looked a lot more solid structurally, so I don't think it's just a coincidence or a good run of form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    Are you kidding me? Take look at RVP at Man United? without his goals they've would have finished 3rd or 4th. Similar thing is going to happen with Suarez at Arsenal the only difference is our advanced players score goals too.
    This is such a silly argument, if RVP wasn't bought, Rooney would have filled the role a lot more for example. Would United really have regressed to getting 73 points, almost 20 points less than the previous season if they hadn't bought one person? No. He might have been the difference between 1st and 2nd, but that is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    Are you kidding me? Take look at RVP at Man United? without his goals they would've come 4th or 3rd but with his goals they won the league. Similar thing is going to happen with Suarez at Arsenal the only difference is our advanced players score goals too, so we should the league win but with superior goal difference in the history of the premier league.
    Don't be an idiot. United got 89 points last season, United got 89 points the season before. They would have clearly won games without RVP using rooney as the main outlet. They would have been in a closer title race at most but they would have still won the title.

The reason why RVP got the goals was because united adopted a more central style of play. Which is no surprise as to why the wingers(valencia particularly as he's a run and crosser) struggled for form last season. They would have stuck with the same style of play as the previous season if they could but they decided not to in order to suit RVP.

Its no surprise that when your team stopped playing pass to RVP and started doing things for themselves the goals were much more spread out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    How much money have we actually cut off the wage bill this summer?
    Apparently something like 300k a week, not sure if that's including the expensive Bendtner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Just to touch upon this point, I think it's misleading to say it was just for the 'last couple of games': our defence has looked good in general since Wenger decided to go with a Koscielny-Mertesacker partnership at the back. :yes: So, Wenger first dropped Vermaelen for Koscielny in the Bayern Munich game at the Allianz; including that game, we conceded five in our last eleven, and didn't concede more than a goal in any match during that period. We've also looked a lot more solid structurally, so I don't think it's just a coincidence or a good run of form.
    I see, I could of sworn Mert was playing before the latter end of the season? I remember having him in my Fantasy football for majority of the season.
    I just figured it was a general up turn in form combined with losing the ball less in dangerous position. I remember your defence against us was pretty comical, but then ours wasn't much better. And Szczeny was inches from a massive fail.
    Lets see if they bring that form into the new season then.

ReputationRep:

Most of what you just said is pedantic wording.
    When everyone is trying to get the ball to you and you're the focal point of the team than for loss of a better phrase it is practically shaped for that player, regardless of how **** the cogs are. Same with Bale, Tottenham built around him, get the ball to Bale and hope he scores. When your teams sole focus is to get it to you, you will always have more opportunities to score, it's simple maths.
    You seem to be forgetting the 11/12 season, where he tried to carry a useless team and struggled to score, Yakubu and Grant Holt scored more that season..

Most of this was just sidetracking from the original point of how silly it is to assume Suarez is going to win the title for them..
    I you think our defence is terrible when we've got our first choice backline, then you're either simply deluded, hating or haven't watched us. Since you brought up goals conceded, only City conceded less goals than this catastrophic defense. Food for thought.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.