Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Given the likely policy implications that will follow Brexit under Tory rule, is an exit of the European Union the biggest thump in the face that the liberal left has ever being struck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Given the likely policy implications that will follow Brexit under Tory rule, is an exit of the European Union the biggest thump in the face that the liberal left has ever being struck.
    I would say yes, I'd view the EU as a safeguard from Tory rules, so a fully unleashed Tory party is indeed the biggest thump in the face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It is a slap in the face - made all the worse but the sheer number of those who'd otherwise identify as members of the 'liberal left' who surely voted to leave.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Yes. There are some people in the 'liberal left' who think that their opinions are the only ones that are right and logical, that as such whatever the polls say most people must hold those opinions, and that anyone who doesn't hold those opinions should be prevented from voicing whatever opinion they do hold. These individuals give the left a bad name so hopefully, this will either be a wake-up call for them or encourage them to stfu.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It is a slap in the face - made all the worse but the sheer number of those who'd otherwise identify as members of the 'liberal left' who surely voted to leave.
    I think you did quite well among the Guardian class in fairness, the south east for example was not nearly as Leave as Yorkshire or the Midlands. The problem seems to be more that whoever campaigned for you thought that was your entire electorate.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Yes. There are some people in the 'liberal left' who think that their opinions are the only ones that are right and logical, that as such whatever the polls say most people must hold those opinions, and that anyone who doesn't hold those opinions should be prevented from voicing whatever opinion they do hold. These individuals give the left a bad name so hopefully, this will either be a wake-up call for them or encourage them to stfu.
    Criticises people who 'prevent others from voicing opinion'. Tells those people to 'stfu'.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Criticises people who 'prevent others from voicing opinion'. Tells those people to 'stfu'.
    I may want them to stfu, but I'm not going to try and make them stfu
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I may want them to stfu, but I'm not going to try and make them stfu
    Do 'they' make anyone do so?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Do 'they' make anyone do so?
    The ones that no platform people do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    x
    When can we expect a new shadow cabinet to be announced, I'm waiting for so!e cabinet minister to do their job

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    When can we expect a new shadow cabinet to be announced, I'm waiting for so!e cabinet minister to do their job

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would be easier for the shadow cabinet to do their job if the government published a legislative agenda for all departments, only the shadow Secretary of State for Defence has something to judge.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    It would be easier for the shadow cabinet to do their job if the government published a legislative agenda for all departments, only the shadow Secretary of State for Defence has something to judge.
    Short memory it seems, regardless, the individual stated has become leader, although didn't seem to want to do their job before that point despite complaining about not being able to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Short memory it seems, regardless, the individual stated has become leader, although didn't seem to want to do their job before that point despite complaining about not being able to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There was something by the Department of Business, Innovation, and Skills but it did not contain anything significant in there, it was all rambling with the minister responsible seeming to make policies up when pressed for more detail. But I agree, there is no excuse for the shadow cabinet when the possible excuses were dismissed by the shadow cabinet for the MoNC. The shadow cabinet should be challenging government departments to hear the government's policy, calling a MoNC when not doing anything is a bad move.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A new shadow cabinet will be announced shortly.

I too am waiting for a cabinet minister to actually do their job. The new shadow cabinet will endeavour to ensure your government do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am/was very happy to do my job . My remit included Defence which includes care for veterans. I wrote a bill on the topic which I chose to submit as a PMB after some in-party discussion.

You, despite actually being in government, have only just finally managed to produce anything. And I am of course very glad of this. Rest assured your proposals will be thoroughly critiqued before being put into action.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A new shadow cabinet will be announced shortly.

I too am waiting for a cabinet minister to actually do their job. The new shadow cabinet will endeavour to ensure your government do so.

I am/was very happy to do my job . My remit included Defence which includes care for veterans. I wrote a bill on the topic which I chose to submit as a PMB after some in-party discussion.

You, despite actually being in government, have only just finally managed to produce anything. And I am of course very glad of this. Rest assured your proposals will be thoroughly critiqued before being put into action.
    You only have 2 days to do it for most of the stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You only have 2 days to do it for most of the stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good to see you're not trying to defend the ridiculous 1984-esque counter accusation of the Opposition not opposing sufficiently. Perhaps one of the strangest complaints a government minister can or has ever made.

That is plenty of time. Who knows, perhaps none of it will be enacted at all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Good to see you're not trying to defend the ridiculous 1984-esque counter accusation of the Opposition not opposing sufficiently. Perhaps one of the strangest complaints a government minister can or has ever made.

That is plenty of time. Who knows, perhaps none of it will be enacted at all.
    Is that a division intention?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Is that a division intention?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    As I said, who knows.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As I said, who knows.
    I should think you know whether you intend to have something voted upon..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to ask my fellow Labour members whether they have confidence in Jeremy Corbyn, particularly in light of his decision to sack Hilary Benn, a man who decided to serve Jeremy despite considerable political difference.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.