The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
My A level maths teacher always said they would like AQA content and Edexcell marking because they throw marks at you, really lenient marking, but the department didn't like the Edexcell course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edexcell is the biggest one so I guess the 'race to the bottom' is real.
(Original post by Markt1998)
Which exam board are you doing?
MEI
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Edexcell is the biggest one so I guess the 'race to the bottom' is real.

MEI
And even boards are all about offering better average grades then the others to sell papers, hence why there should only be 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Needs2Achieve)
Good for you...
Bahahhaahahh,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How can anybody find M1 hard, it's basically just "remember SUVAT and you've aced it"
Are you calling for a broken wrist or something? Bc I'm more than capable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And even boards are all about offering better average grades then the others to sell papers, hence why there should only be 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree, personally I think that the IB is better then A-levels and wish I had had the chance to take the IB!!!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I agree, personally I think that the IB is better then A-levels and wish I had had the chance to take the IB!!!
Of period hatred Gove they really wouldn't want me as education secretary
Bring back O-levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of period hatred Gove they really wouldn't want me as education secretary
Bring back O-levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why? What's the point of just changing the name?
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The correct level of difficulty is somewhere inbetween what they are now and o level. LArge swathes of failing working class kids is NOT a public good.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anon_98)
Are you calling for a broken wrist or something? Bc I'm more than capable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sorry mate
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having just had a look at last years Edexcell M1, it's just SUVAT, F=ma, F=\mu R and, given you have impulse, J=mv_2-mv_1

And that's being generous. Anything else is GCSE or earlier, as is, tbh, suvat, N2 at the very least, maybe impulse too
Most year 13 further maths students I know really struggle with mechanics (when i heard them talking about it i thought it was about the mathematics of putting car tires on lol) so how you think GCSE students, half of whom genuinely struggle to figure out that when Fatima has 6 balls in a bag and 3 of them are blue then there's 1/2 chance that he takes out a blue ball, are going to do M1 I have no idea.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
The correct level of difficulty is somewhere inbetween what they are now and o level. LArge swathes of failing working class kids is NOT a public good.
You cannot makes things easier to reduce the number of children failing at them, you must make teaching better so children can pass. I had my parents dig out some of their work from when they did A-levels, to my horror I was stumped at the maths, economics, physics and biology questions even though the content had not changed an awful lot.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most year 13 further maths students I know really struggle with mechanics (when i heard them talking about it i thought it was about the mathematics of putting car tires on lol) so how you think GCSE students, half of whom genuinely struggle to figure out that when Fatima has 6 balls in a bag and 3 of them are blue then there's 1/2 chance that he takes out a blue ball, are going to do M1 I have no idea.
Newtons second law I believe is in GCSE physics, as is suvat IIRC
by any chance are you from, pardon my crudeness, one of the thick schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's wrong with people failing?
Are you one of these namby pamby liberal thinkers who believe that outdoor shouldn't be introduced to the concept of failure until they enter the real world?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Why? What's the point of just changing the name?
The change from O-leveks to GCSEs was more than just a name change, the way grading work was massively changed too, if we were still using o levels I wouldn't be able to ***** about grade inflation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whoever actually thought exam board competition was a smart idea needs their mental faculties examined, just sayin'
Needs2Achieve
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry but you are just a bit up yourself aren't you?!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
SUVAT isn't GCSE F=ma isn't either.

The change from O-leveks to GCSEs was more than just a name change, the way grading work was massively changed too, if we were still using o levels I wouldn't be able to ***** about grade inflation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grade inflation is going to happen anyway. Inflation is a fact of life and everything inflates.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

Grade inflation is going to happen anyway. Inflation is a fact of life and everything inflates.
I did Suvat at GCSE last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

SUVAT is on the Higher Tier Physics 3 paper.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I'm from a very good (but state) school. But i was in the dumb classes. I failed the iq test at the start of school (wrote on the answer paper. I panicked cuz I was intimidated by the whole process) and along with my special educational need (ADD) I got stuck in the bottom sets. To fit in I became one of the bad lads (being a geek in the bottom set of a boy's school isn't an option) so I never really studied at all before A levels and only did well in the few subjects which I enjoyed. Fast forward 2 years and with my new actually smart friends I'm working to get AAA at a level in three difficult subjects.

This experience has taught me the importance of socilaisation in performance and why we have to compromise in difficulty in order to get the kids who will more likely to become disillusioned to focus. If GCSE's were as difficult as you want, then I'd be a manual labourer now.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads