Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the comments that arsenal's defence is better now when vermaelens not in the team. Still think that you could get better out of vermaelen, defensive mistakes aren't qualities that are increased by injuries, lack of pace maybe but defensive errors aren't. Really think that vermaelen needs to get his head straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I you think our defence is terrible when we've got our first choice backline, then you're simply deluded, hating or haven't watched. Since you brought up goals conceded, only City conceded less goals than this catastrophic defensive. Food for thought.
    What and you think city had a fantastic defence? By that standard our defence is great too because we weren't far behind you playing with an out of form Skrtel giving away goals to only be replaced by a 35 year old who did okay and retired and a shaky LB.
    There wasn't a single team in the league last season with a solid defence.
    You picked up form at the end but you also had an easy run of 8 games bar one being Manu? So you may have defended better but you also had easier games.

(Original post by So Instinct)
    I see, I could of sworn Mert was playing before the latter end of the season? I remember having him in my Fantasy football for majority of the season.
    I just figured it was a general up turn in form combined with losing the ball less in dangerous position. I remember your defence against us was pretty comical, but then ours wasn't much better. And Szczeny was inches from a massive fail.
    Lets see if they bring that form into the new season then.
    He was, but he was being partnered with Vermaelen rather than Koscielny. :yep:

(Original post by jam277)
    Agree with the comments that arsenal's defence is better now when vermaelens not in the team. Still think that you could get better out of vermaelen, defensive mistakes aren't qualities that are increased by injuries, lack of pace maybe but defensive errors aren't. Really think that vermaelen needs to get his head straight.
    I'm not so sure we'll be able to get a great deal out of Vermaelen as long as we've got Mertesacker in the starting lineup, personally. :no: He was fine before, and very good in relation to the rest of our defence when we were playing Gallas/Silvestre and so on, but his marauding runs aren't going to work as well with people like Arteta and Mertesacker (rather than Song and Koscielny) providing him with cover. A Vermaelen-Koscielny partnership could work, but I would think Koscielny-Mertesacker still works better. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Phil Thompson made himself sound like a mug in his interview today with sky.

To suggest Arsenal is a step down to Liverpool...

ReputationRep:
    What and you think city had a fantastic defence? By that standard our defence is great too because we weren't far behind you playing with an out of form Skrtel giving away goals to only be replaced by a 35 year old who did okay and retired and a shaky LB.
    There wasn't a single team in the league last season with a solid defence.
    You picked up form at the end but you also had an easy run of 8 games bar one being Manu? So you may have played better but you also had easier games.
    In relative to the PL, our defence is 'fantastic' and wouldn't hinder us challenging for the league which is what your post was alluding to.

The easy run of game lines again :rolleyes: Have these team been replaced then......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    In relative to the PL, our defence is 'fantastic' and wouldn't hinder us challenging for the league which is what your post was alluding to.

The easy run of game lines again :rolleyes: Have these team been replaced then......
    I was alluding to a number of things that needed sorting I didn't say your defenders alone would cost you, no the teams haven't been replaced but unless you suddenly have a better defence and attack than City, Tottenham, Manu and Chelsea there is no chance you're challenging for the title. Which was my point, Luis Suarez won't alone win you the league.

ReputationRep:
    I was alluding to a number of things that needed sorting I didn't say your defenders alone would cost you.
    But you think that they are one of the reasons why we wouldn't. And that's wrong. Our defence in its current format for PL standard is right at the apex.

ReputationRep:
    I was alluding to a number of things that needed sorting I didn't say your defenders alone would cost you, no the teams haven't been replaced but unless you suddenly have a better defence and attack than City, Tottenham, Manu and Chelsea there is no chance you're challenging for the title. Which was my point, Luis Suarez won't alone win you the league.
    Are you ****ing kidding me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    Are you ****ing kidding me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have better defence and attack the Tottenham? Defence yeah but attack? As it stands, no chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    But you think that they are one of the reasons why we wouldn't. And that's wrong. Our defence in its current format for PL standard is right at the apex.
    Fair play. Tbh I didn't even watch the latter part of your season and watched up till you got knocked out of the CL. At which point your defence was bad and you were notorious for going behind to equalise. So I judged from that, if you've actually improved significantly that perhaps the defence itself doesn't need to change but needs to keep the improved form combined with improvements elsewhere on the pitch.
    Original point still stands though, only difference is your defence is better than I originally judged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Phil Thompson made himself sound like a mug in his interview today with sky.

To suggest Arsenal is a step down to Liverpool...
    He's a clown, always has and always will. Liverpool and their fans are too taken by history - they forget the present. Suarez don't give a toss about what Liverpool did in the 80s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Surely top5?
    I'd put Messi first, then Suarez, Van Persie, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Cavani and Falcao are all in that level below. So Top 7 I guess. Hard to separate those six.

ReputationRep:
    Are we going to sign this Sebastian Perez or not???
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You picked up form at the end but you also had an easy run of 8 games bar one being Manu? So you may have defended better but you also had easier games.
    So what? Arsenal have traditionally struggled with ''easy run ins''. See 2008, 2010, 2011 and to some extent 2012.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I you think our defence is terrible when we've got our first choice backline, then you're either simply deluded, hating or haven't watched us. Since you brought up goals conceded, only City conceded less goals than this catastrophic defense. Food for thought.
    While Man City might have only conceded 3 less goals than Arsenal - I'd argue that there is stil a big gap between the two defences last season.

Man City conceded 34 to Arsenal's 37 but when you break down the stats:

Man City
    Clean sheets: 18
    Conceded 1: 11
    Conceded 2: 4
    Conceded 3: 5
    Arsenal
    Clean sheets: 14
    Conceded 1: 13
    Conceded 2: 9
    Conceded 3: 2

I'd say it's better to conceded 3 goals in a game and be tighter in 2 or 3 other games rather than conceding one or two in a number of games.
    I'd say that Man City outperformed your defence in effectively 6 games (or 11 if you include the 2 goals conceded).

The most interesting statistic is the record at home.

Man City conceded only 15 goals at home, keeping 10 clean sheets.
    Arsenal conceded 23 goals with only 5 clean sheets and that record puts them as the 11th best defence at home in the league last season.

On the flip side, Arsenal conceded a miserly 14 goals away from home and kept 9 clean sheets.

Anyone have any ideas why the defence was so good in away games but not at home games?

Tbh last season was impressive for the top sides - only 6 points separate Man City in 2nd with 78 points and Spurs in 5th on 72 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Still not keen on Podolski. I just don't see what he offers us as a winger. I think we need to replace him, either with a better player or put Santi out wide and have another midfielder in his place in the middle. Podolski should be on the bench.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Podolski offers experience.

110 caps for Germany.

Was quite poor last season, but still managed to score 16 goals.

Whether he is playing good or poor, one thing you are guaranteed with him is goals.

# German winning mentality

ReputationRep:
    Even if we don't end up signing Suarez, the reactions from Liverpool fans have been absolutely hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking out against your club like suarez has is tevez style dickery. He can burn. We support him though his crap and he just wants out.

What's more amusing is arsenals strategy at approaching top players m

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    Wow, Suarez dropped it on them. This is what it must feel like to be the buying club *sips on tea and leans back*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed, he went in way harder than RVP did with his statements. The fact that Suarez even says it's not like he'd be moving to Liverpools rivals makes it even funnier.

Also, sometimes you just have to laugh at modern football - Suarez, Bale and Rooney all picking up injuries at the same time :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxKINGxxx)
    Speaking out against your club like suarez has is tevez style dickery. He can burn. We support him though his crap and he just wants out.

What's more amusing is arsenals strategy at approaching top players m

Posted from TSR Mobile
    now you're just being a tool

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.