Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    I'd like to ask my fellow Labour members whether they have confidence in Jeremy Corbyn, particularly in light of his decision to sack Hilary Benn, a man who decided to serve Jeremy despite considerable political difference.
    I'm not labour but if the reports are true that Benn was going for corbyns head then he has no option other to sack him

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to ask my fellow Labour members whether they have confidence in Jeremy Corbyn, particularly in light of his decision to sack Hilary Benn, a man who decided to serve Jeremy despite considerable political difference.
    To quote myself from the bar earlier: 'Corbyn tried playing nicely with the "moderates", letting them have their way on so many things and yet they still continue to undermine him against the will of the membership. I glad he has finally put his foot down with Benn and long may it continue.'

As a disclaimer, I'm not technically a member. I do have links and connections within Labour and signed up as a supporter to vote for Corbyn, but I'm unwilling to commit myself fully to the party until I'm confident that it will return to being a left wing movement rather than being a party for the corporate elites. If another leadership election is triggered, I'll sign up again to vote for Corbyn or McDonnell or whichever genuine candidate the left decides to put forward. If they fail to win and Corbyn being elected was a one off, then I shall write the party off (and probably the country) as being beyond saving. If they do win they I shall get full membership and campaign with every ounce of energy I have for a Labour win at the next election to stop the tories using brexit to bring this country to its knees.

It's so sad that at a time when the party most needs to united in order to force a general election by the end of the year and to win it, the Labour Establishment are determined to destroy the party from within because of the simple fact that they would rather see Boris Johnson and Michael Gove leading the country than Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell. Shows how truly out of touch they really are.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Up until recently, I was prepared to give him one final chance but sacking Benn was the last straw. He has to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Up until recently, I was prepared to give him one final chance but sacking Benn was the last straw. He has to go.
    What exactly is wrong with sacking the minister who has continuously tried to undermine your leadership and is in the middle of planning a coup?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    What exactly is wrong with sacking the minister who has continuously tried to undermine your leadership and is in the middle of planning a coup?
    The fact that Corbyn himself should have resigned just as Cameron did after this dismal referendum

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    The fact that Corbyn himself should have resigned just as Cameron did after this dismal referendum

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Corbyn wasn't the one who called a referendum for something he didn't believe in...
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    Corbyn wasn't the one who called a referendum for something he didn't believe in...
    I'm not saying Cameron is not to blame. He paid the price. Corbyn is the face of the Labour Party. He must represent it. And his lacklustre campaign did not do so. As soon as a Leader stops representing the party, their head should roll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd vote Corbyn again if I could, a new vote is fair enough but I agree with Kay, very concerned indeed if, say, Benn got the nomination

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'm not saying Cameron is not to blame. He paid the price. Corbyn is the face of the Labour Party. He must represent it. And his lacklustre campaign did not do so. As soon as a Leader stops representing the party, their head should roll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For anyone paying attention, Corbyn has been campaigning pretty much every day for the last couple of months. It's quite frankly not his fault if the media was only interested in the scaremongering on either side of the tory divide.

The reason the working class has overwhelmingly voted out is because New Labour followed in the footsteps of Thatcher and ignored them and so they are rejecting the whole of the political class. To expect Corbyn to overturn that over the course of a few months is absurd. And yet, Labour voters voted 2-1 for remain, whereas the tory voters voted for out despite Cameron's best efforts, so I don't think it can be said he did so badly. The PLP never wanted Corbyn and they are manufacturing a reason to get rid of him. And in the end, it will be their suicide.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I should think you know whether you intend to have something voted upon..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I should think you're right.

ReputationRep:
    Q. Can we abolish the Labour Party?
    Q. Can Gordon brown be imprisoned for his crimes to the British economy?

ReputationRep:
    Q. Does anyone in the labour party understand anything about economics?

ReputationRep:
    What is the point?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by 09craige)
    Q. Does anyone in the labour party understand anything about economics?
    No, no, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    No, no, yes.
    Shame, even bigger shame, certainly doesn't seem like it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Shame, even bigger shame, certainly doesn't seem like it.
    Well Gordon Brown's actions in the wake of the global financial crisis (fiscal stimulus combined with large-scale bailouts) is widely accepted by economists to have prevented mass unemployment and effectively saved the British economy. Though he was wrong to allow deregulation of the banking sector - an error of judgement shared by the then Conservative Opposition and governments around the world, other calls he made - such as not joining the Euro - have been vindicated by history. He was a very competent individual with an exceptionally keen grasp on economics. It is a shame that he was just a little too enamoured by the neoliberal promise of prosperity at the expense of accountability.

ReputationRep:
    Well Gordon Brown's actions in the wake of the global financial crisis (fiscal stimulus combined with large-scale bailouts) is widely accepted by economists to have prevented mass unemployment and effectively saved the British economy. Though he was wrong to allow deregulation of the banking sector - an error of judgement shared by the then Conservative Opposition and governments around the world, other calls he made - such as not joining the Euro - have been vindicated by history. He was a very competent individual with an exceptionally keen grasp on economics. It is a shame that he was just a little too enamoured by the neoliberal promise of prosperity at the expense of accountability.
    Gordon brown messed up this country.
    He was wrong to have ever been elected prime minister
    Wrong to deregulation the baking sector
    Wrong to sell off all of our gold
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Gordon brown messed up this country.
    He was wrong to have ever been elected prime minister
    Wrong to deregulation the baking sector
    Wrong to sell off all of our gold
    He was wrong to allow the deregulation of the banking sector to continue. Unfortunately there was a consensus amongst politicians and economists across both main parties and in most modern democracies that this was the way forward. But even if he hadn't it is highly unlikely that the global financial crisis could have been prevented seeing as it started in the US. The sale of gold reserves was another error - though hardly a catastrophic one. It should of course be remembered that the rise in gold prices that came after was almost a direct result of the original sale (i.e. the Washington Agreement). There was solid reasoning for making the sale though. As any economist will tell you, foreign currency reserves are far more valuable when making economic policy than gold is. Nonetheless Brown's legacy is his reaction to the crisis. When it mattered most he made the right call and saved the economy.

ReputationRep:
    He was wrong to allow the deregulation of the banking sector to continue. Unfortunately there was a consensus amongst politicians and economists across both main parties and in most modern democracies that this was the way forward. But even if he hadn't it is highly unlikely that the global financial crisis could have been prevented seeing as it started in the US. The sale of gold reserves was another error - though hardly a catastrophic one. It should of course be remembered that the rise in gold prices that came after was almost a direct result of the original sale (i.e. the Washington Agreement). There was solid reasoning for making the sale though. As any economist will tell you, foreign currency reserves are far more valuable when making economic policy than gold is. Nonetheless Brown's legacy is his reaction to the crisis. When it mattered most he made the right call and saved the economy.
    I still agree with Jeremy clarkson, he's a "one-eyed, Scottish idiot"
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I still agree with Jeremy clarkson, he's a "one-eyed, Scottish idiot"
    I think the fact that he's Scottish or that he suffered an injury to his eye when he was young has little bearing on his ability as an individual. There's also no doubt - whether you disagree with him politically or with the decisions he's made - that he is a very intelligent person. I think Gordon Brown is one of the more tragic figures of modern British politics. He was blinded by his ambition and let that get in the way of the real good he was capable of. He was torn apart by the media in a time when charisma mattered more than vision. And yet he weathered the storm during one of the greatest economic crises we've face and was still able to galvanise support for the Union during the Scottish Referendum.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.