Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk XII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Do you have proof that the majority want a poll?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe we should have a poll to see if people want a poll.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    It's a poll not a bloody referendum. Why the hell not? Unionists have stated their concern and are more in favour than before because of the remain vote.
    I maintain what I said earlier, there should be no referendums for a year do everybody can cool off. They should have said they will consider a poll but not for, say, 3 months to remove reactionary elements. In the same way I won't pay attention to Scottish Indie polls for about a month until people calm down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I misread it - if they had been 'forced' to stay in I'd call for their independence - but either way England wouldn't ever have been forced to stay in because they've the largest population of the rest combined.

England makes up 53 million of the 64.1 million population of the UK.

I'd advise against your provocative and impolite manner being so new - get to know people first and/or make friends before you go around offending them.
    Ok, I'm just sick of these people oh it's terrible they are forced to leave then asked if it was the other way say no that's different it isn't.

Just because England has the highest population doesn't mean that there was no chance England could have voted out and been made to stay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Ok, I'm just sick of these people oh it's terrible they are forced to leave then asked if it was the other way say no that's different it isn't.

Just because England has the highest population doesn't mean that there was no chance England could have voted out and been made to stay.
    Except I just admitted that I misread it and that yes I would support the other way.

Um, yes it does. England makes up 80% of the UK population - nearly 4 times the population of the rest of the union.The odds of England being 'forced' to stay are near-astronomical.

ReputationRep:
    Except I just admitted that I misread it and that yes I would support the other way.

Um, yes it does. England makes up 80% of the UK population - nearly 4 times the population of the rest of the union.The odds of England being 'forced' to stay are near-astronomical.
    Yes but that was before you clarified and I was talking in general about people who say that.

But it could of occurred.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes but that was before you clarified and I was talking in general about people who say that.

But it could of occurred.
    Mmm, well I don't see that being a large issue at the moment.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Kittiara's name isn't purple anymore, guess that means she isn't coming back? I hope she's okay.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Kittiara's name isn't purple anymore, guess that means she isn't coming back? I hope she's okay.
    She is missed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    On your end?
    Sorry for the late response. I live in South Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    no, they see that we will have to live with the decision longest and that we wanted it. that we belive in cooperation and working together and we are forward thinking.

which german?
    do you think that NI will get a breaqk up referendum? I can't see how scotland wont and apparently Gibraltar have been offered co-sovereignty with spain to be able to stay in the EU.
    I think a referendum would still come back stay in the UK, but I'm appalled that Arlene Foster is ecstatic and that she has ruled out a referendum on a United Ireland. Appalling.

A lot of concern about Irish nationality (which we may lose) borders (military checkpoints are a thing of the past we hoped) and funding, obviously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Now that's what is stupid, Scotland doesn't want to be in the UK where power is being devolved back to Scotland, but does want to be in the EU where the flow of power goes only one way - to the EU.
    Scots correctly identify more with an open EU than with the Tory party.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And the Foreign Minister has refused the totally appropriate request for a border poll on a UI, against the wishes of the majority in the Six Counties.

It's not even a referendum it's a poll.
    Typical backward nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why do people talk like London and Scotland deserve more than the rest of the country? The majority have spoken.
    As in why should places that voted to Remain get to Remain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Same, in one day though we've demonstrated why it was good to leave the EU, to pursue those trade deals.
    They won't publicise those deals because I expect we'd all be shocked at how poor they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So we now have over a million signatures for a second referendum and a "poor" credit outlook...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    So we now have over a million signatures for a second referendum and a "poor" credit outlook...
    We have over a million people that will admit to their MPs being sore losers, and people probably making a lot of money from saying the outlook is negative

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    If I told you a lie about it, you wouldn't demand a second referendum. Just because Farage is in a position where many more people listen to him, it's up to them to decide whether or not to believe him.

Yes, they don't have to live with it for very long, but maybe they will. Why should a 60 year old who might live another 40 years not get a choice, when a 20 year old might be dying of a terminal illness within the next 6 months. Also, it doesn't give people an excuse to actually be incredibly horrible to them. I reckon if all the comments I've seen posted around were on TSR, around a quarter to a half would probably be deleted, and the poster carded for discriminatory/abusive language. Losing this referendum doesn't give people the right to be vile and horrid.
    I'm shocked that you support that type of campaigning, fact is a lot of idiots based on misinformation, in a vote where people voted based on a promise they should be obliged to deliver or face charges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I think a referendum would still come back stay in the UK, but I'm appalled that Arlene Foster is ecstatic and that she has ruled out a referendum on a United Ireland. Appalling.

A lot of concern about Irish nationality (which we may lose) borders (military checkpoints are a thing of the past we hoped) and funding, obviously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't doubt it would but there should definitely be that referendum. People should have the choise!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They won't publicise those deals because I expect we'd all be shocked at how poor they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They won't publicise them because they're small and irrelevant, if a load of others pursue negotiations soon that will be publicised, and nearer exit it will be publicised that we have what will likely be similar deals to what we have in the EU with most FTA partners with most existing parties.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    I'm shocked that you support that type of campaigning, fact is a lot of idiots based on misinformation, in a vote where people voted based on a promise they should be obliged to deliver or face charges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not my problem if people can't decide what they should believe or not. There's been masses of mudslinging throughout this campaign, and in this democracy, it's up for the people to decide what they they want to listen to, and for them to vote based on all the information that they were given.

(Original post by Aph)
    I don't doubt it would but there should definitely be that referendum. People should have the choise!!!
    Even the old people, and the terminally ill?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.