Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    Will I ever look down a microscope and know what I'm looking at? :cry:
    I wouldn't be optimistic. But shotgun histology on youtube is a reasonable way of getting better at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I wouldn't be optimistic. But shotgun histology on youtube is a reasonable way of getting better at it.
    Ahh just watched the introduction, that sounds great! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    Ahh just watched the introduction, that sounds great! Thank you
    http://www.medicalschoolpathology.co...pathologyWMVs/
    He has a histopathology website too. It's basically the morphology sections from Robbins and Cotran just didactically delivered with a slide.

ReputationRep:
    just found out that in order to get a first, I now need to average 74% in my bsc... I can kiss that thought goodbye

ReputationRep:
    Saw some photos of short arm syndrome in a lecture today. Not sure I would have the stomach for maxfax, as cool as it sounds.

ReputationRep:
    Finally managed to get a good portion of this stupid logbook signed. I hate logbooks.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I feel like I'm making leeway with this metabolism malarky but I have a question.

I've just finished the krebs cycle and I distinctly remember a long discussion (don't know details, I was day dreaming) about oxcaloacetate in starvation or something. I think it's like the rate limiting step of the citric cycle or something. I'm not really sure why though. Surely since it's remade at the end of every cycle it should be plentiful? I could be completely wrong but there's something about this molecule that's bothering me. I know it's made from malate and binds with Acetyl CoA to form citric acid (then loses the CoA to form citrate) but is it made from pyruvate or something? Lack of knowldge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Finally managed to get a good portion of this stupid logbook signed. I hate logbooks.
    I hate log books aswell.
    However we better get used to them for the rest of our career!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Right, I feel like I'm making leeway with this metabolism malarky but I have a question.

I've just finished the krebs cycle and I distinctly remember a long discussion (don't know details, I was day dreaming) about oxcaloacetate in starvation or something. I think it's like the rate limiting step of the citric cycle or something. I'm not really sure why though. Surely since it's remade at the end of every cycle it should be plentiful? I could be completely wrong but there's something about this molecule that's bothering me. I know it's made from malate and binds with Acetyl CoA to form citric acid (then loses the CoA to form citrate) but is it made from pyruvate or something? Lack of knowldge.
    What's a Kreb cycle? :confused:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What's a Kreb cycle? :confused:
    Not sure if serious :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Not sure if serious :unsure:
    Very serious

Just something I don't even want to try and remember. Its been a long time since I saw one of them and may that time get longer.

ReputationRep:
    Very serious

Just something I don't even want to try and remember. Its been a long time since I saw one of them and may that time get longer.
    As in the citric acid cycle?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that one. I just hate it.

ReputationRep:

This **** makes me want to cry.

ReputationRep:

I always thought the rate-limiting step in this was production of alpha-ketoglutarate. If that's not the case I'm sure John Locke or someone will come and inform me that I'm wrong :p:

I think you can get oxaloacetate from pyruvate in a gluconeogenesis pathway (that I don't know very well) though. Whether that's in starvation or not, I don't know.

Also, pedantry I know, but the coA is shed in the reaction where citric acid is formed. Citrate is just citric acid minus one proton.

ReputationRep:
    As in the thing I last saw at A level, four to five years ago? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I don't need this stuff anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I always thought the rate-limiting step in this was production of alpha-ketoglutarate. If that's not the case I'm sure John Locke or someone will come and inform me that I'm wrong :p:

I think you can get oxaloacetate from pyruvate in a gluconeogenesis pathway (that I don't know very well) though. Whether that's in starvation or not, I don't know.

Also, pedantry I know, but the coA is shed in the reaction where citric acid is formed. Citrate is just citric acid minus one proton.
    Hmm. I see. I've had a quick look on wiki and it says you enter ketogenesis when the TCA cycle is overloaded due to lack of intermediates such as oxaloacetate. I haven't covered the gluconeogensis pathway yet so maybe I'll find out.

It's not pedantic, I was incorrect and I've adjusted my notes so thanks :P I'd rather somebody point out an error as opposed to letting me move on with incorrect knowledge.

Also, the notes I'm using don't really give much of an explanation as to how the electron transfer chain/oxidative phosphorylation really works. So, NADH/FADH2 is oxidised releasing electrons and H+. The electrons pass from protein to protein and this pumps H+ out? Are the protein complexes 1-4 electron driven proton pumps or what? Then when H+ moves in via the channel with the proton translocating ATP synthase enzyme on it that somehow creates energy to create ATP from ADP? Seems a bit vague.

ReputationRep:
    I hate them too, especially as mine has a brown banana stain smeared on the front. I always hesitate when I hand it over to get it signed

I really should know this Krebs cycle malarkey, shouldn't I? :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Also, the notes I'm using don't really give much of an explanation as to how the electron transfer chain/oxidative phosphorylation really works. So, NADH/FADH2 is oxidised releasing electrons and H+. The electrons pass from protein to protein and this pumps H+ out? Are the protein complexes 1-4 electron driven proton pumps or what?
    That's my understanding.

Each time an electron moves to a carrier it loses some of its energy and this is used to shunt H+ across the membrane to create a gradient. Any more detail and you start getting into mathsy stuff that looks remarkably like thermodynamics.

Then when H+ moves in via the channel with the proton translocating ATP synthase enzyme on it that somehow creates energy to create ATP from ADP? Seems a bit vague.
    As the H+ flood down their concentration gradient through the ATP synthase, they rotate one of its subunits (I forget which one) and this mechanical energy drives phosphorylation of ADP into ATP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.