Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    With all respect I think that's really pushing the analysis somewhat considering the low turnout compared to a General Election. You can certainly draw those inferences and argue that's what happened but to present it as fact is in my opinion going too far.
    It may be going a long way to present as a fact but I find the uncanny numerical match in UKIP's vote with the decline in the that of the BNP and Conservatives to be too big of a coincidence to ignore.

I was going to add Labour had failed to confront UKIP but I find the word confront is a term politicians use to make themselves feel better about their future prospects. UKIP's position on the big issues surrounding society is clear when reading through it's official policy list. Labour believe one thing where UKIP believe another. There's not much confronting that can be done other than debating against each other's policies.

ReputationRep:
    A pint of absinthe please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    It may be going a long way to present as a fact but I find the uncanny numerical match in UKIP's vote with the decline in the that of the BNP and Conservatives to be too big of a coincidence to ignore.

I was going to add Labour had failed to confront UKIP but I find the word confront is a term politicians use to make themselves feel better about their future prospects. UKIP's position on the big issues surrounding society is clear when reading through it's official policy list. Labour believe one thing where UKIP believe another. There's not much confronting that can be done other than debating against each other's policies.
    I think it really is more likely coincidence, though. We have to remember these voters are people, and just because they voted in the same way last time doesn't mean they'll all switch to the same parties. It's very likely that some Labour voters stayed home, some Lib Dems did indeed switch to Labour whilst a minority of Conservative voted Labour to keep UKIP out. Just far too many variables at play to simply match the numbers and declare it to be as simple as that. Tis a sad truth that in an era of four-party politics, it's far harder to ever know exactly what caused stuff like this.

So my French political dreams are dead, I have been told that I'm too English... TOO ****ING ENGLISH! How dare they!

How hard is it to break into politics in any other EU country he wonders aloud :holmes: :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Drove a BMW i3 today for about 80 miles and it has changed my perspective on electric cars completely.

I've never driven a better car. If i had the money i would buy one now.

These electric cars are the future!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    Drove a BMW i3 today for about 80 miles and it has changed my perspective on electric cars completely.

I've never driven a better car. If i had the money i would buy one now.

These electric cars are the future!
    How long does it take to charge? What is the range?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruitker)
    How long does it take to charge? What is the range?
    About 5 hours to fully charge from empty, or there is a quick charge option; this will charge the batteries to 80% in 45 minutes.

This particular model had a range of 80 miles and costs £28,500.

You can get a model with a fuel extender that is slightly more expensive.

If you can drive one, then you'll be hooked!

ReputationRep:
    About 5 hours to fully charge from empty, or there is a quick charge option; this will charge the batteries to 80% in 45 minutes.

This particular model had a range of 80 miles and costs £28,500.

You can get a model with a fuel extender that is slightly more expensive.

If you can drive one, then you'll be hooked!
    I completely agree the performance concerns is a non-issue with modern engineering but the problem is in the statistics. 45 minutes to charge the batteries to 80% giving a range fewer than 80 miles, at £28,000!

The cost, unpractical nature of it beyond popping to the shops limits it's usage.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree the performance concerns is a non-issue with modern engineering but the problem is in the statistics. 45 minutes to charge the batteries to 80% giving a range fewer than 80 miles, at £28,000!

The cost, unpractical nature of it beyond popping to the shops limits it's usage.
    It is more than worth it in my opinion :P

The power delivery is immense. When i got back in my BMW i was utterly disappointed.

The car is worth £28,000. It is very cheap for an electric car compared to the leaf and that Toyota one.

Also 80 miles is a long way.

ReputationRep:
    It is more than worth it in my opinion :P

The power delivery is immense. When i got back in my BMW i was utterly disappointed.

The car is worth £28,000. It is very cheap for an electric car compared to the leaf and that Toyota one.

Also 80 miles is a long way.
    You couldn't even drive from Reading to London and back without a recharge. This would be a nightmare if you want to drive to an airport for holiday where parking for two weeks will reduce charge. I agree it is better value for money than others but I could pick up a new mini saving £10000. I would have better performance, less inconvenience about charging and probably save money.

Electricity is expensive. It would work out more to constantly recharge a car after 80 miles to equal the range of a mini than it would fill up the mini's tank.

ReputationRep:
    You couldn't even drive from Reading to London and back without a recharge. This would be a nightmare if you want to drive to an airport for holiday where parking for two weeks will reduce charge. I agree it is better value for money than others but I could pick up a new mini saving £10000. I would have better performance, less inconvenience about charging and probably save money.

Electricity is expensive. It would work out more to constantly recharge a car after 80 miles to equal the range of a mini than it would fill up the mini's tank.
    You make good points!

Although i'd still rather have one :P

ReputationRep:
    You make good points!

Although i'd still rather have one :P
    If money was no object I would pick one up for casual driving. I would pick up a couple of military vehicles, army tanks and a jet fighter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Okay, how about it was a horrific night for Tories and Lib Dems, bad night for Labour, decent night for Greens and a fantastic night for UKIP?
    Agreed.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm really not sold on electric cars, hydrogen fuel cells would seem to be the future.

ReputationRep:

Pretty sure your wrong on the electricity vs fuel for the same distance point. Last time i read to charge the car worked out about a quarter of the cost.

The cost of the electric cars comes from the battery which will need replacing in 5 years (so you may as well get a new car but yours will be worth nothing) and the fact that the cost of cars while falling is still somewhat expensive.

Both the EU and US are rolling out charging stations so that and continued falls in price may see them really taking off between 2020-2030. The range is also much higher on more expensive models which last around 300 miles a charge.

While Hydrogen may end up the better bet i suspect that much like ethanol (used in Brazil) vs petroleum it may already be too late for Hydrogen to catch on in the likes of the US, Europe and China where penetration seems quite aggressive.

One fun thing about electric cars if you get the cap removed is that you can drive as fast backward as forward. Illegal on the roads but if you can find an old airfield or big car park..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Pretty sure your wrong on the electricity vs fuel for the same distance point. Last time i read to charge the car worked out about a quarter of the cost.

The cost of the electric cars comes from the battery which will need replacing in 5 years (so you may as well get a new car but yours will be worth nothing) and the fact that the cost of cars while falling is still somewhat expensive.

Both the EU and US are rolling out charging stations so that and continued falls in price may see them really taking off between 2020-2030. The range is also much higher on more expensive models which last around 300 miles a charge.

While Hydrogen may end up the better bet i suspect that much like ethanol (used in Brazil) vs petroleum it may already be too late for Hydrogen to catch on in the likes of the US, Europe and China where penetration seems quite aggressive.

One fun thing about electric cars if you get the cap removed is that you can drive as fast backward as forward. Illegal on the roads but if you can find an old airfield or big car park..
    A new Pegeout 308 does around 1060 miles on a single tank of fuel. It costs just under £70 to fill up. The BMW i3 does 80 miles but costs just over £2 to recharge. Roughly calculating that's £26.50 for the BMW i3 to travel the same distance. it's about a third of the operating cost sacrificing on easiness of use. I would happily pay the extra £43.50 for the convenience of not waiting around for a minimum of 45 minutes to recharge, being able to take longer journeys whenever I wanted, the reduced maintenance costs. Few mechanics have experience with the working of electrical cars so you're at the mercy of where you live. The BMW i3 starts off at £26,500 after a £5000 grant has been included where the P308 starts off at £14,900. That's a massive £11600 saving. At your own admittance the electrical battery will need replacing in the BMW i3 restricting the earn back period for the cheaper running costs. The £11600 saving would never be worked back in cheaper running costs before you buy a new car. There's no reason to go electric just yet.

I think Hydrogen and electric cars are fads which will soon die out. In 20 years we will still be relying on petrol and diesel cars using a bio type fuel instead suitable for the cars without an engine change.

ReputationRep:
    According to the IMF Britain will likely overtake France next year as 5th largest economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    According to the IMF Britain will likely overtake France next year as 5th largest economy.
    If population growth keeps up we take Germany before 2030 as well.

(Original post by Cryptographic)
    Makes sense, France is in the **** and will be for quite some time!
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If population growth keeps up we take Germany before 2030 as well.
    Yes and with the same minority issues :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Hydrogen fuel cells are the future. Electric cars are still something of a joke to me given the pathetic range, long charging times and the cost of the cars.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.