Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    We have over a million people that will admit to their MPs being sore losers, and people probably making a lot of money from saying the outlook is negative

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't see how you can be so flippant at this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    NI needs stability- so I'm afraid not
    Blatantly ignoring her electorate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    It's not my problem if people can't decide what they should believe or not. There's been masses of mudslinging throughout this campaign, and in this democracy, it's up for the people to decide what they they want to listen to, and for them to vote based on all the information that they were given.

Even the old people, and the terminally ill?
    My local news channel had a 80 year old man going "I'm going to die so but at least I got my country back" honestly!!! He is the exact kind of ilinformed old person (who even says he's going to die soon!!) who shouldn't get to vote.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Aph)
    So we now have over a million signatures for a second referendum and a "poor" credit outlook...
    The second referendum call is futile. What's done is done, if we go down this route all that we'll have is a perpetual cycle of the losing side of another referendum calling for a new one. All we can do now is play with the cards we've been dealt.

The downgrade in credit outlook isn't surprising. We have a gilt auction on the 5th July that could provide some indications of the new risk premium being attached on the UK.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by The Financier)
    The second referendum call is futile. What's done is done, if we go down this route all that we'll have is a perpetual cycle of the losing side of another referendum calling for a new one. All we can do now is play with the cards we've been dealt.

The downgrade in credit outlook isn't surprising. We have a gilt auction on the 5th July that could provide some indications of the new risk premium being attached on the UK.
    I agree. I don't think it will happen but it just shows how angry people are about this.

I still really think that Scotland will be leaving which will make things worse.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

10 year GILTS actually fell yesterday which i found quite interesting.

Short term panic there may be but i suspect in the long term, the market will have confidence.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I don't see how you can be so flippant at this time.
    Because it is the media and sore losers making things sound awful when they're not. To quote Andrew Neil:

FTSE fell but finished on weekly high. £ plummeted but closed @ Feb levels. U.K. Gilt yields fell. What G Soros meant by Black Friday?

That gilt fall is a sign of high confidence and the downgrade means almost nothing . We also get that the markets overvalued the indecies and pound, the drop in the pound is more a correction than legitimate loss

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Because it is the media and sore losers making things sound awful when they're not. To quote Andrew Neil:

FTSE fell but finished on weekly high. £ plummeted but closed @ Feb levels. U.K. Gilt yields fell. What G Soros meant by Black Friday?

That gilt fall is a sign of high confidence and the downgrade means almost nothing . We also get that the markets overvalued the indecies and pound, the drop in the pound is more a correction than legitimate loss

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How can it fall but be on a high?
    I accept that part of the pounds plummet was due to the fact that it had risen in the expectation of a stay vote.

We are also now behind France and the 6th largest economy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Interestingly we see Q3 and Q4 growth accelerate because of the firms that held back investment, as much as a third simply wanted certainty over the result rather than a specific result. I imagine 2017 growth will fall though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    How can it fall but be on a high?
    I accept that part of the pounds plummet was due to the fact that it had risen in the expectation of a stay vote.

We are also now behind France and the 6th largest economy.
    Because it's a high on the start of the week...

And how closely behind France, close enough that on Monday we'llbe back ahead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    10 year GILTS actually fell yesterday which i found quite interesting.

Short term panic there may be but i suspect in the long term, the market will have confidence.
    Yep, it fits the general risk aversion nature of the markets yesterday. Nevertheless, I think the long term effects of Brexit on gilts will be rather ambiguous. We'll probably have more domestic inflows into gilts as they'll be used for their safety status to ride out the volatility but equally, the fall in sterling and the worries over UK creditworthiness (rightly or wrongly) will probably affect the yield quite noticeably if we see much less demand from abroad.

Honestly, I'm not so sure of the idea that this is all just a knee-jerk reaction. I think the markets are trying to evaluate to what extent this is a revolt by the working class who don't feel like they've had any of the benefits of globalisation in general. The rise of Farage, Trump and Le Pen seem to me as symptoms of a deep malaise with the established model of how the world works. If that is the case, and Brexit is indeed the first domino that sparks a wave of "revolutionary" events across Europe and America, then risk is arguably being underpriced atm and we might see volatility continue long into the future. We'll find stability eventually of course, but I don't think where that level is and how long it'll take is that clear right now.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Because it's a high on the start of the week...

And how closely behind France, close enough that on Monday we'llbe back ahead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry... Weekly high suggests that it's the highest it was in a week to me...

Having just read some articles it would appear that statement might be a Twitter myth.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Sorry... Weekly high suggests that it's the highest it was in a week to me...

Having just read some articles it would appear that statement might be a Twitter myth.
    It was probably people taking last year's GDP figures and converting to dollars, but we lead France by about half a trillion , we will have closed by about 100bn

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There is an argument that having a second referendum has become the 'norm'. Canada needed two referendums to put the issue of Quebec to bed. Scotland looks likely to hold a second referendum on independence (which frankly, was always going to happen - people were talking about it even before the first one was over).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It was probably people taking last year's GDP figures and converting to dollars, but we lead France by about half a trillion , we will have closed by about 100bn

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, people were using exchange rates than PPP.

(Original post by Snufkin)
    There is an argument that having a second referendum has become the 'norm'. Canada needed two referendums to put the issue of Quebec to bed. Scotland looks likely to hold a second referendum on independence (which frankly, was always going to happen - people were talking about it even before the first one was over).
    Don't most places on the continent have 2 round presidential and parliamentary elections too?

ReputationRep:
    what is a good petition, and it hasn't taken off, is the one which says we should have another referendum after the renegotiation. Like, when we have some known factors to actually vote on with regards to leaving.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by banterboy)
    what is a good petition, and it hasn't taken off, is the one which says we should have another referendum after the renegotiation. Like, when we have some known factors to actually vote on with regards to leaving.
    At which point it's too late

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Haha, so what was the point of Cameron going to try and negotiate for us staying in the EU before this referendum... Plus, the uncertainty does no good to the economy. If for the next two years businesses don't know whether to plan to stay or go, then it'd be a lot worse when the decision is made, and we'd be worse off compared to the fact now that businesses can plan much better for leaving.

Are we even allowed to do that right at the end of the negotiations, and why waste millions more pounds on more campaigning. Waste of time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Easier just to set the exit date after the next election. That way if people want a different deal, they can just vote for said party.

ReputationRep:
    At which point it's too late

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think if we did vote later on the eu would let us back (if the seperation isn't enacted yet), they want to.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.