Edexcel chemistry 1 Watch

black-chaos-master
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
tell me your answer for the last question ?
Ryan03201
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by infernalcradle)
exactly...it was A....you had the small lithium ion and the large iodine ion, neither touching, but the iodine was distorted towards the lithium

so lithium is more electronegative than iodine is it?

it would be the one where lithium was distorted towards iodine surely.
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ryan03201)
so lithium is more electronegative than iodine is it?

it would be the one where lithium was distorted towards iodine surely.
Erm....no

the question had nothing to do with electronegativity...

it was a question about polarity and polarising ions...

the small, highly charged lithium ion distorts the elections of the large Iodine ion as they are attracted to each other...A showed that...
Ryan03201
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Erm....no

the small, highly charged lithium ion distorts the elections of the large Iodine ion as they are attracted to each other...A showed that...

So polarity has nothing to do with the atoms electronegativty?
Lithium isn't highly charged it's nuclear charge is +3 whereas iodines is +53. And besides group 1 metals don't form -1 ions or distort electron clouds towards them.
woozeybear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Erm....no

Hmm thing is in the book it said the smaller and higher charge the cation has the more polarising it is. And it also implies the larger the anion the more easily polarised it is and Iodine is pretty big so I thought it was testing you to check you know it both ways round? So I put D - I don't think anyone really knows tbh..
black-chaos-master
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey what did you all write for the question where they ask the difference between methanol combustion values ?? and the question in which they asked the two hazards ??
I am pretty sure it was methanol experimentally is more stable, 1 of the difference
woozeybear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by black-chaos-master)
Hey what did you all write for the question where they ask the difference between methanol combustion values ?? and the question in which they asked the two hazards ??
I am pretty sure it was methanol experimentally is more stable, 1 of the difference
I can't remember the methanol combustion question got the hazards one wrong though, so stupid cos I knew the answers as soon as I left :facepalm:
black-chaos-master
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by woozeybear)
I can't remember the methanol combustion question got the hazards one wrong though, so stupid cos I knew the answers as soon as I left :facepalm:
What do u think were the answers for the hazards ?
woozeybear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by black-chaos-master)
What do u think were the answers for the hazards ?
I wrote (made up) that there were too many granules and it could cause the test tube to shatter during cracking or whatever and improve by putting less in..and that the paraffin coated thing was too close to the Bunsen flame so could set a light..tbh I was really rushing

what I should have put was the end of the tube was in water and when you stopped heating the water would be sucked back up and the test tube would shatter (hot glass cold water) and the bung didn't fit so toxic/harmful gases could escape..
black-chaos-master
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wrote (made up) that there were too many granules and it could cause the test tube to shatter during cracking or whatever and improve by putting less in..and that the paraffin coated thing was too close to the Bunsen flame so could set a light..tbh I was really rushing

what I should have put was the end of the tube was in water and when you stopped heating the water would be sucked back up and the test tube would shatter (hot glass cold water) and the bung didn't fit so toxic/harmful gases could escape..
Or it could be direct bunsen flame isnt a good idea, because gaseous alkanes which are highly flammable are produced, and ya da toxic gases part is ryt, i wrote that
Epic_Fail
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
Yay thats what i got as well.

Hoping we're both right..
What did you write for why there's a difference in the values ?
i think i wrote somthing about heat escaping, can't remember what else tho =/
Da_hopeful_1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmm. never seen such a big thread to a post exam discussion before.

How many people on here are also taking the unit 5 chemistry exam ?
bluefire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmm. never seen such a big thread to a post exam discussion before.

How many people on here are also taking the unit 5 chemistry exam ?
i am taking unit 2, 4 & 5. :eek: :confused: :o: :eek3: :woo:
KyriakixXx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Omg me2!!! i made up these things because i didnt know what to write.. at first i wanted to talk about the flame but then i thought it was stupid so i wrote to use less granules etc etc etc etc!!!! they wrong surely!
Da_hopeful_1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bluefire)
i am taking unit 2, 4 & 5. :eek: :confused: :o: :eek3: :woo:

Resits ?
what did u get before

I only resat unit 1. Should of done unit 4 aswell though :/
bluefire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Resits ?
what did u get before

I only resat unit 1. Should of done unit 4 aswell though :/

NOt resits ..its for the first time ...am over with unit 1 and will be giving unit 2, 4 & 5 soon
Da_hopeful_1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bluefire)
NOt resits ..its for the first time ...am over with unit 1 and will be giving unit 2, 4 & 5 soon
ahh ok. Hows revison for unit 5 going ?
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Has anyone got the paper for this exam yet?
jonathan3909
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not so soon
dm18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
does anyone have a link to get the answers for chemistry 21st may 2010 i need it really quicly to see how i did otherwise i am going to get madddd.......
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads