Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jns93)
    Do you reckon they'd let me put a piano in my room? (electric, not like a grand or anything :P)
    I strongly advise against that. Take a good-quality keyboard with you (that's what I'm thinking of doing). Keyboards aren't the best, but if you invest well you can get a keyboard with a decent feel and resistance and you won't have the hell of moving your electric piano into halls and then moving it AGAIN into some god-forsaken part of London for 2nd year. You'll have to practice with your headphones plugged in anyway.

If you're really serious about piano (i.e. aiming to play in Imperial music societies) then contact the university and ask what the other musicians do. Imperial is known for a very high quality of music performance among its students.

ReputationRep:
    Now that we're talking Pianos Can anyone help me pick a digital one?
    I'm still learning to play and I've decided it's about time to buy the instrument to practice at home, I also plan to take it with me to halls.
    So far, I've been looking at the Yamaha 95B as it seems to have fully weighted keys and small speakers (Although it'd be ideal if it didn't have any).
    If you could suggest some other pianos to look at, I'd appreciate it. I don't have a budget in mind right now, but I'd probably like to pay around 600-700pounds max.

ReputationRep:
    Ok.. got the email for accommodation, but now to decide where to go. My options seem to be:

Weeks
    Garden
    Wilson
    Pembridge
    Holbein

all single, and that's in order of preference (I know it makes no difference). I notice that Weeks have ensuite single which is slightly cheaper, is this just for people with disabilities?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea where to apply, there is so much choice. =|. I've watched all the youtube videos regarding the halls but I'm still struggling here, they all look quite nice.

Can anyone tell me why they've chosen the halls they've chosen/what they think of the hall they ended up living in? Would help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Ok.. got the email for accommodation, but now to decide where to go. My options seem to be:

Weeks
    Garden
    Wilson
    Pembridge
    Holbein

all single, and that's in order of preference (I know it makes no difference). I notice that Weeks have ensuite single which is slightly cheaper, is this just for people with disabilities?
    Don't know about that one, but the cheaper price might be due to the amount of floor space available. Maybe it's a slightly smaller room. The same thing applied with the Pembridge twins; the ensuites were slightly cheaper actually xD

(Original post by Acta Non Verba)
    I have no idea where to apply, there is so much choice. =|. I've watched all the youtube videos regarding the halls but I'm still struggling here, they all look quite nice.

Can anyone tell me why they've chosen the halls they've chosen/what they think of the hall they ended up living in? Would help a lot.
    Best thing to do is to establish your main criteria - what you MOST want (and cannot do without), and what you're willing to compromise on. Ensuite/non-ensuite, sharing/single, big-hall-with-loadsa-people/small "family-like" hall, 20+min walk/roll-out-of-bed-into-lectures...and price, as well.

If you've got the cash and want the best, Eastside/Southside is your best bet - ALL ensuite and brand-spanking new with modern furnishings/interior. Beit will be the next one down from that (some ensuite rooms, some standard), and all three of them are close to uni (located in South Kensington - 5 mins walk to the lecture halls at most, with Beit RIGHT opposite lecture halls.) Drawback is the expense; and in the case of Beit, noise levels because that's where the Union (and its bars/nightclub) is.

The best compromise between proximity and expense will be Garden/Weeks. They're in the same area as Eastside and Southside as well, difference being that their interior is more "homely"/old. No ensuites in Garden and Weeks, with Weeks having only singles. Still good rooms, though, and worth it if being close to school is important but you don't want to splash out so much.

Generally the SoKen halls are great for being close to school, though supermarkets and stuff are lil' bit further out. But hey, it's London and everywhere's accessible...

Further out there are the Evelyn Gardens Halls: Southwell, Holbein, Willis Jackson, Bernard Sunley and Fisher. They're a cluster located in the Fulham/Chelsea area and are about 15-25 mins away from uni, not a bad walk at all. Fisher's known to be the cheapest but the "most rickety/run-down" one (it's not as terrible as people claim it is though!), but if you're not fussed about furnishings and such, it's worth considering if money's an issue.

Holbein and Willis Jackson are kinda linked together, like sister/sibling halls (Holbein being quite tiny in comparison.) Along with Southwell and Bernard Sunley, they're all pretty similar in terms of quality, though only the residents will be able to pick out nitty-gritty details (such as the fact Southwell and Fisher have kitchen bans after 11pm, for example...) They're definitely not as sleek as the Eastside/Southside halls though. Also, Southwell and Willis Jackson seem to be the only ones with ensuite options available; most of them are standard and have shared bathrooms.

Then further out still are Wilson (Paddington, all single rooms) and Pembridge (Notting Hill Gate, mixture of room types). After Fisher, they're the other cheaper options on offer, and take 25-35 mins to get to school (longer to get back from school to halls if the parks are shut.) Pembridge is one of the smaller halls, and Wilson one of the bigger ones with a bit more modern interior (99 people vs 250+, imagine that!) You have to cut through parks to get to uni during your morning walks, but these two are great if you really like the idea of uni and "home" being in pretty separate locations. Or if you "value the quality of living", for want of a better phrase.

The further-out halls are generally a lot closer to all other handy locations like supermarkets, banks, shopping areas etc (basically, everything bar school ) - they're also slightly cheaper than the ones close to uni depending on what you pick, and are great if you don't mind walking (it wakes you up, free exercise) and want to save a bit of money (which can be spent on other things, woop!)

Detailed prices and everything are on the pages - as for me, I picked 2 Garden options (twin and triple), 2 Pembridge options (single std and twin ensuite) and 1 Beit (twin ensuite). Garden and Beit because I couldn't afford any of the singles close to uni, and Pembridge because I'm in love with the neighborhood.
    I'm not fussed about sharing because I've lived in a boarding house for 4 years now, I've shared rooms before with FIVE other people. (Lets me save cash too, all my options are 115ppw or less.) And I've got options both near and far from uni because let's face it, with a "no-guarantee" thing (yes, it's not a given you'll get any of your 5 :/), you just make the most of where you are.

Also, the form will ask you if room type or price band is your priority, so think wisely before you submit that form.

Some Singaporean seniors (my geographical neighbours) have complied a list of write-ups about the halls, if that helps:
    http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/osc/singap...accommodation/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jns93)
    Do you reckon they'd let me put a piano in my room? (electric, not like a grand or anything :P)
    I think there's piano in some halls' common rooms (Garden and Pembridge has one, not sure about others) but I doubt having it in your room is banned because I know someone who brought their electric drum-kit in their room (when I first read this I got excited about having you as my room mate as I play the piano too but realised you're a guy so we can't be room mates :P)

ReputationRep:
    Just finished applying! Really hoping I get Weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarubobo28)
    I think there's piano in some halls' common rooms (Garden and Pembridge has one, not sure about others) but I doubt having it in your room is banned because I know someone who brought their electric drum-kit in their room (when I first read this I got excited about having you as my room mate as I play the piano too but realised you're a guy so we can't be room mates :P)
    I'm a girl and a pianist/keyboardist + violinist too, with the majority of my options being shared rooms - where did you apply for?

Also, for practice, there's the Blyth Center - or if you get put into Wilson, they have some pretty fabby practice rooms too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arianex)
    I'm a girl and a pianist/keyboardist + violinist too, with the majority of my options being shared rooms - where did you apply for?

Also, for practice, there's the Blyth Center - or if you get put into Wilson, they have some pretty fabby practice rooms too.
    Ooh high 5 to you

Garden twin, Beit twin, Eastside twin (my max budget ), Wilson single (they have squash courts and practice rooms apparently and for it's sociable reputation ), andd still deciding on the last option... Pembridge or Garden triple... hmm.

I've visited Pembridge before and everyone there was super friendly and the home-y feel was great. But it's so far from college
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ooh high 5 to you

Garden twin, Beit twin, Eastside twin (my max budget ), Wilson single (they have squash courts and practice rooms apparently and for it's sociable reputation ), andd still deciding on the last option... Pembridge or Garden triple... hmm.

I've visited Pembridge before and everyone there was super friendly and the home-y feel was great. But it's so far from college
    Go for Pembridge. I don't want to be in competition with your for a Garden triple

ReputationRep:
    Just sent my application woohoo

(Original post by Zottula)
    Go for Pembridge. I don't want to be in competition with your for a Garden triple
    Haha dw I did go for Pembridge
    Though I applied to Garden twin so might see you if we both end up there
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Just sent my application woohoo

Haha dw I did go for Pembridge
    Though I applied to Garden twin so might see you if we both end up there
    Aaah cool. I also applied for a Garden twin .

I wonder where I will end up. Exciting stuff .

ReputationRep:
    Ooh high 5 to you

*fives back* You play anything else?

Heh, Eastside Twin was my max until I decided I could try gunning for a single at Pembridge. All my choices are now 115ppw or less. Woohoo Asian cheapness!

Spoiler:
    Show

(It's more like "trying to keep the costs down as much as I can", actually xD What with the ma-HOOOO-sive fees...if that means I'll have to wake up earlier for school, so be it ^^

Y'know, it might be an idea to send a follow-up email saying "if possible can you put me in xxx" if your heart is really set on a particular hall. Probably whilst mentioning "I know it's not guaranteed, though if you can...(etc)". They're legally obliged to keep communication from you on file, so you know it won't go into some vortex.

ReputationRep:
    Just sent my application off All feels real now.
    Standard single in; Pembridge, Garden, Wilson, Holbein and Southwell
    Anybody have any in common??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer_blazed)
    Pembridge and Garden, though I went for shared in Garden rather than singles. And yes, it does seem to be happening so quickly, n'est ce pas? XD Won't be long before we're talking about fabby new hall mates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer_blazed)
    Applied to all of those but Southwell and Holbein I think. Substituted those for Weeks and Beit .

ReputationRep:
    Sent my application now, also used the 'active sex life' line, hopefully the accommodation guy is a lad and will appreciate my need for a single room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrench22)
    Sent my application now, also used the 'active sex life' line, hopefully the accommodation guy is a lad and will appreciate my need for a single room
    Cheeky. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arianex)
    X
    Because of your extensive knowledge of all things Imperial-related, I've always presumed you were a current undergrad helping us naive applicants, and that your sig was just out of date...

And now I've finally realised that you're an applicant just like the rest of us. HOW do you know so much about Imperial?! :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Because of your extensive knowledge of all things Imperial-related, I've always presumed you were a current undergrad helping us naive applicants, and that your sig was just out of date...

And now I've finally realised that you're an applicant just like the rest of us. HOW do you know so much about Imperial?! :O
    I'm part elephant, so that gene affects my memory. xD

Part-joking aside, LOTS of reading up/researching - which includes ACTUALLY looking at the fine print of website information (not just the official website but also society pages, they sometimes have info for pre-frosh) and talking to seniors. The Facebook group is also a brilliant source of information, with the occasional current student popping in and out to help us pre-frosh.

(Which reminds me, go join if you haven't already, the peeps there are great. )

And whatever I remember that's relevant to any new Imperial-related Q that comes in, I feed back out and hope that it helps. ^^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.