Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    About to start my masters and still feeling stressed about how I'm going to get a job afterwards.
    I don't know anything about science jobs.
    What type of job are you after? Just out of interest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    yeh jobs are tough. But hopefully a masters should help :yes:
    I hope... or maybe it's just prolonging the inevitable :laugh:

but thanks!! :jumphugs:

(Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
    What type of job are you after? Just out of interest
    You know, I'm not sure still.

I certainly would like to work in a lab, but I also have good written communication skills so it would be nice to be able to put those in use.

Working in a lab whilst doing some journalism, being a lecturer these sorts of things seem ideal but also as rare as a four leaved clover.

ReputationRep:
    I hope... or maybe it's just prolonging the inevitable :laugh:

but thanks!! :jumphugs:

You know, I'm not sure still.

I certainly would like to work in a lab, but I also have good written communication skills so it would be nice to be able to put those in use.

Working in a lab whilst doing some journalism, being a lecturer these sorts of things seem ideal but also as rare as a four leaved clover.
    Being a spy in a animal testing facility :cool:
    Yes, that would be rare, I'm not sure what job would entail both skills if I am honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
    Being a spy in a animal testing facility :cool:
    Yes, that would be rare, I'm not sure what job would entail both skills if I am honest
    How about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    How about yourself?
    At this moment in time I am very interesting, in, if I do well in my degree, going for Graduate Entry Medicine

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

first post on TSR in a long time! I was wondering whether anyone could give me some info on IBMS accreditation.

I graduated this year from Warwick with a first in biomedical science, but the degree isn't accredited by the IBMS. I was wondering about the experiences of other people who had done non-accredited degrees that have become / are becoming accredited.

Once you've submitted the info to have your non-accredited course evaluated, if you need to do further modules what happens then with regards to where you study and how much it costs?

Also with regards to the portfolio, how did you go about finding a placement? Is it a case of applying for an available position at an accredited lab and asking them to take you on to complete your portfolio?

How did you find the whole process?

I was going to email the IBMS directly but I thought I'd see about other people's experiences first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicolay)
    Hi everyone,

first post on TSR in a long time! I was wondering whether anyone could give me some info on IBMS accreditation.

I graduated this year from Warwick with a first in biomedical science, but the degree isn't accredited by the IBMS. I was wondering about the experiences of other people who had done non-accredited degrees that have become / are becoming accredited.

Once you've submitted the info to have your non-accredited course evaluated, if you need to do further modules what happens then with regards to where you study and how much it costs?

Also with regards to the portfolio, how did you go about finding a placement? Is it a case of applying for an available position at an accredited lab and asking them to take you on to complete your portfolio?

I was going to email the IBMS directly but I thought I'd see about other people's experiences first
    Hi, and congrats on the degree!

Unfortunately, IBMS registration is a pain in the bum. I graduated with an accredited degree but couldn't do the intercalated placement year because of NHS cuts. Now I can't seem to get a placement, despite applying for them.
    Well done, David Cameron.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi y'all.

I am a biomedical student and need to ask if there is anyone here who was or is a biomedical student and living in Oxford who could help me out a couple of hours a week I would truly appreciate it. As I need some help URGENTLY. do get in touch ASAP and we could arrange something that will work for us.

I would appreciate any information and advice.
    So send me a message if you can help please.

Thank you very much and wish everybody a good evening.
    Hope to hear from one of you soon.

Coco

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    Hi, and congrats on the degree!

Unfortunately, IBMS registration is a pain in the bum. I graduated with an accredited degree but couldn't do the intercalated placement year because of NHS cuts. Now I can't seem to get a placement, despite applying for them.
    Well done, David Cameron.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, and thanks for the info! Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Do you have to find out which labs are accredited and approach each one to see if they have any placements available?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I graduated from king's last summer but the degree wasn't accredited,wanted to ask the same question although I've already applied to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Will I be considered with my DD in AS for Biomedical Science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, and thanks for the info! Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Do you have to find out which labs are accredited and approach each one to see if they have any placements available?
    nope, you just apply at any lab.
    But if you're asking with regards to IBMS portfolio completion, you can ONLY work as a biomedy in the NHS if you find a job which allows you to complete it. These are as follows: trainee biomedical scientist or medical lab. scientific assistant - both are incredibly scarce and incredibly competitive.

ReputationRep:
    So who here is applying for 2014 entry and how is it all going?!

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool.
    I'm a first year biomedical science student studying at QMUL.
    My main interests lie in genetics, neuroscience and ethics.
    It'd be nice to join.
    hey im predicted A*BB do you think i should still aplly for queen marys even if their requirements are AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saida16)
    hey im predicted A*BB do you think i should still aplly for queen marys even if their requirements are AAB
    Mmmm maybe
    QMUL took me in via clearing and they do take in quite a few clearing students...
    Better off calling to find out

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm maybe
    QMUL took me in via clearing and they do take in quite a few clearing students...
    Better off calling to find out
    What was your final grade ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E=mc२)
    What was your final grade ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A levels:
    Biology: A
    Chemistry: C
    English Lit: A*
    Psychology: A*
    Critical Thinking: A*
    Turkish: C

In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have done so many A levels and focused more on what I needed to learn

University: 2:1

Currently doing: Msc Immunology

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying to leeds met, sheffield hallam, manchester met, oxford brookes or westminster?

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I was just wondering if anybody could help me out. I am considering studying Biomedical Science at University next year and I need to know whether studying an IBMS accredited course will narrow my options. After my degree I have aspirations of either going into research at an academic institution/pharmaceutical company or graduate entry medicine. Will studying an accredited degree limit me to only NHS work? Or is a research career still an option?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylan_)
    Hello. I was just wondering if anybody could help me out. I am considering studying Biomedical Science at University next year and I need to know whether studying an IBMS accredited course will narrow my options. After my degree I have aspirations of either going into research at an academic institution/pharmaceutical company or graduate entry medicine. Will studying an accredited degree limit me to only NHS work? Or is a research career still an option?

Thanks.
    It's definitely still an option, although an accredited course will give you far more flexibility in your module options and therefore may make you more suitable to be considered for Masters/PhD level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.