x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just had this email from Peninsula, what do you think?:
    http://ilovehotchoc.blogspot.com/201...1-choices.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    Interesting.... I agree that Option 3 is pointless. 1 has some merit though - how do white space questions actually demonstrate whether you can be a good FY1? Clinical tests do sound like the introduction of national finals though.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think we should be limiting EEA trained doctors in preference of UK trainees.

However, since we're not going to do that we need to find a fair way to ensure that our graduates get jobs - I think option 1, possibly with an interview, might be the best way of doing that.

ReputationRep:
    if i had to say anything at this point it would be that we left the FY1/2 to people graduating here and then admitted international (european or otherwise) into the system at the FY2+ stage into the staff/training grade places around that level. Otherwise we're massively wasting our time training people here. That said this could never happen as EU equal employment regulations forbid it.

I otherwise agree with option 1, if its going to means students are going to miss out on GMC registration it should at least be purely based on merit, at least its fair then. although it would still be massively biased in uk graduates favor because the medical schools would be better placed to prepare you for it. 2 is deffo a nono as i cant see people being prepared to full practice after 5/6years and it would be totally out of synch of other global medical training programs. 3 seems like a bit of a halfway house but better than having a pre-F1 cutoff.

edit: also we could get rid of the rubbish 'everyone is equal' policy and let FYP rotations be decided more on merit than rubbishy white space questions. that said i havent seen the new SJAs so cant comment if its got better.

ReputationRep:
    Option 4: Leave the EU?

ReputationRep:
    I think the idea of linking parts of F1 to finishing medical school might be an idea - after all, if there is a crunch for jobs, why pay for medical graduates who potentially have no possibility of gaining full registration? I think extra training/mentoring potentially with full GMC registration. Full competition afterwards. Maybe so that during final year, you acquire sufficient skills to be deemed competent, after all, medical schools are very good at bits of paperwork, and teaching. So bring the two together. If that requires another year in medical school, so be it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think option 3 is that bad an idea actually. It was the way things were done in the PRHO days and is recommended in the Tooke report. Given, essentially, that the specialities you do in FY1 is almost meaningless (compared to FY2), moving the round of application for FY2 after FY1 when you have job experience, references and real skills to demonstrate under your belt makes sense. Many deaneries (Wessex, Yorkshire, South Thames to name just three) already do this with uncoupled F1 and F2.

Of course the downside would be that you have to stay in the place where you went to medical school for an extra year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Of course the downside would be that you have to stay in the place where you went to medical school for an extra year...
    This is the bit I'm not a genuine fan of :no:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    This is the bit I'm not a genuine fan of :no:
    I wouldn't mind that, since where I currently am will be either my number 1 or number 2 deanery anyway :p:

I don't really know how they should solve the problem though :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I wouldn't mind that, since where I currently am will be either my number 1 or number 2 deanery anyway :p:

I don't really know how they should solve the problem though :dontknow:
    I thought that back when I was a first year... things changed and I'm quite glad I was able to move, though I realise that there needs to be some solution to the current problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I thought that back when I was a first year... things changed and I'm quite glad I was able to move, though I realise that there needs to be some solution to the current problem.
    Making FY1 a paid final year to the medical school shouldn't be too much problem though, if there was the option to move at F2?

ReputationRep:
    As there has been a dramatic rise in the number of medical students, surely the government's desire was to increase the number of doctors - despite the economic situation. Surely there must be an option to simply hire more doctors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    As there has been a dramatic rise in the number of medical students, surely the government's desire was to increase the number of doctors - despite the economic situation. Surely there must be an option to simply hire more doctors?
    I don't think the money is available to hire any more doctors (unless they get rid of all those 'advanced nursing practitioners' that seem to be replacing FY1 here... :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    I really hate the idea of being stuck here for an extra year, especially as the questionnaire hinted at putting PMS graduates in a job in the same hospital as they did year 5, i.e. Truro for me. Please don't leave me in Truro for another year!! Release me from the south west!! I need London back! When I applied to university, I wanted to get nice and far away from home and try something new, but I've had enough now, I want my family back.

Realistically, it's not too bad an idea. I just hate being 6 hours away from home. I do think it would be far more sensible to improve the application system though. We already have an insane amount of assessments, so I'm not that keen for more, but I would rather that than what we have now. Or put more emphasis on rankings/degrees/publications than white space questions.

ReputationRep:
    I was so pleased to be able to move easily after medical school that I would hate the idea of re-linking.

I guess option 1 with interview is the fairest option.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind having a compulsory stay here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Making FY1 a paid final year to the medical school shouldn't be too much problem though, if there was the option to move at F2?
    My main reason for moving was my relationship with my now fiancé, who has a fairly immovable job in London. 6th year was utterly crap from that point of view - I was away on placement the whole year, then trying to get to London on most weekends to see him, and somehow occasionally spending a few hours in Cambridge to make sure my house hadn't been burgled. Trying to live in 3 places at once is expensive and stressful, so I don't think I would have particularly enjoyed having to do that for another year, probably with even more restrictions on my time through being an F1.

I know it's what they used to do up to about 2 years ago; all Cambridge students would stay in East Anglia because they started housejobs at a different time of year from everyone else, but quite a lot of us like the new system! Plus with UEA now producing doctors every year, would there actually be enough jobs for the two medical schools within the region?

ReputationRep:
    As someone who did stay with their "home" Deanery, the certainty of staying put would have made my life a fair bit simpler. It is also how things used to be done. Personal considerations ignored as a house officer ought to be married to the job anyway . Still left with the problem of how to allocate jobs within the Deanery though. The main objection as I understood it was the perception that people got jobs by patronage and sucking up, and that London people got a foot in the door advantage when apply for jobs later on.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got access to the Journal of Heart and Lung transplantation - and specifically this article: The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
    Volume 29, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 1089-1103 .

UCL only bothers to subscribe till 2004

I will of course give my measly rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Anybody got access to the Journal of Heart and Lung transplantation - and specifically this article: The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
    Volume 29, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 1089-1103 .

UCL only bothers to subscribe till 2004

I will of course give my measly rep
    "The Registry of the International Society for Heart and
    Lung Transplantation: Twenty-seventh of?cial adult heart
    transplant report—2010" ?

I registered an account and could access that article free - not sure if this was because I was on the trust intranet though?

Let me know if you can't get on it and I'll e-mail it to you, pm me your e-mail address or something

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2012
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.