Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofiax0)
    ah no thats actually a really good point!! like really original! i hope we wouldn't get a question like that, it's quite narrow i think
    Hahah thanks I thought you guys would tell me its a load of bull haha... And I totally agree with you, I wouldn't get many application marks because Barclays would be my only example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadster)
    Hahah thanks I thought you guys would tell me its a load of bull haha... And I totally agree with you, I wouldn't get many application marks because Barclays would be my only example
    yeah the only other ones i can think of are mid-staffordshire hospital where basically it wasn't a patient centred culture, it was more like "ticking boxes" to ensure they achieved trust status, so making sure they just met requirements such as the amount of people died not being too high (if that makes sense) rather than actually caring for the patient to ensure they didnt die. Also whistle blowing was condemned with whistle blowers claiming to be bullied.

im not sure if you could use enron to a certain extent, but that didnt really have subcultures did it, i thought it was just an overall negative culture?

ReputationRep:
    yeah the only other ones i can think of are mid-staffordshire hospital where basically it wasn't a patient centred culture, it was more like "ticking boxes" to ensure they achieved trust status, so making sure they just met requirements such as the amount of people died not being too high (if that makes sense) rather than actually caring for the patient to ensure they didnt die. Also whistle blowing was condemned with whistle blowers claiming to be bullied.

im not sure if you could use enron to a certain extent, but that didnt really have subcultures did it, i thought it was just an overall negative culture?
    That sounds fantastic, but i don't know much about the NHS myself, so I think I'd stay away from that. And I don't think I'd be able to relate Enron to subcultures I agree, I think their culture was just negative overall

BUSS4 advice - Do not for any reason answer both questions 1 and 2 when it clearly says 1 or two, without realising that there are three more questions on the back page.
    Exactly what I did and realised with only 5 minutes left!

Seriously though, when answering the questions you should make an overall point and then illuminate that with a case study, not the other way around. Then explain briefly what happened in the case of that particular business (possibly bring in theory at this point) and then contrast it with a more/less successful case even more briefly.
    Then move onto the next point, do that cohesively 6 or 7 times and you should be looking at top marks.

ReputationRep:
    Can organisational culture be changed without the support of employees?
    .. I'm thinking yes for Royal Mail as their employees worked there for years who resisted to change because of tradition and being used to routine yet moya Greene still managed to implement a new technological system of the way they run the business? - turned out to be successful

And no for BA because of the amount of strikes they've had from the cost cutting.

I don't really know.. I was thinking Anthony Jenkins could be mentioned somewhere because he axed 3700 jobs of those employees who didn't agree with the changes he proposed but I don't even know if this is for or against. I'm probably coming across as really stupid right now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHanss)
    BUSS4 advice - Do not for any reason answer both questions 1 and 2 when it clearly says 1 or two, without realising that there are three more questions on the back page.
    Exactly what I did and realised with only 5 minutes left!

Seriously though, when answering the questions you should make an overall point and then illuminate that with a case study, not the other way around. Then explain briefly what happened in the case of that particular business (possibly bring in theory at this point) and then contrast it with a more/less successful case even more briefly.
    Then move onto the next point, do that cohesively 6 or 7 times and you should be looking at top marks.
    Great advice.... Just to add though, don't forget to refer to the case study at least twice in section A. In our mock exam I was stupid and forgot to even read the case study.... don't ask how i managed to forget lol i did. please don't do the same... ace this exam guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linabina94)
    Can organisational culture be changed without the support of employees?
    .. I'm thinking yes for Royal Mail as their employees worked there for years who resisted to change because of tradition and being used to routine yet moya Greene still managed to implement a new technological system of the way they run the business? - turned out to be successful

And no for BA because of the amount of strikes they've had from the cost cutting.

I don't really know.. I was thinking Anthony Jenkins could be mentioned somewhere because he axed 3700 jobs of those employees who didn't agree with the changes he proposed but I don't even know if this is for or against. I'm probably coming across as really stupid right now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you're not coming across as stupid at all I think your points are right and would score highly if you analysed and evaluated them thoroughly... I would definitely mention Jenkins and Project Transform as a YES argument

ReputationRep:
    /

could you think of anything of how it is an opportunity? other than the company transforming? :confused::confused:
    Yes. For me a local company - Cummings Generators have factories in China, India and the UK. They have a different culture in each factory, suited to the local culture to enable labour productivity and efficiency in that factory is high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadster)
    you're not coming across as stupid at all I think your points are right and would score highly if you analysed and evaluated them thoroughly... I would definitely mention Jenkins and Project Transform as a YES argument
    Haha thanks.. I don't even know why I thought it could be a no argument!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc95)
    "Is an innovative culture essemtial for business success?"
    what could be the negative points for this anyone?
    on the other hand innovative culture may not be essential for business success. a business success may depend on the leadership. this is evident at Apple. Apple's CEO steve job gave a direction and inspiration to the employees. this in turn gave a focus and it motivated employees to bring new ideas. this led to a successful development including Ipad, Iphone and Ipod. Iphone is so successful that it made more revenue than any other product on Earth. it made global revenue of $61 billion. moreover when Steve job passed away the market share for began to fall from 51.7% to 43.6% as customers saw steve job as the engine and brain behind Apple. which shows that leader at Apple contributed to a business success. therefore leaders may be essential for a business. however leaders may not be essential without the ideas brought up by the culture. therefore leaders and innovative culture must work together for a business success.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone keeps saying to bring in relevant theories in answers, what theories are everybody referring to?

ReputationRep:
    Could someone clarify the actual exam layout, your answering 1 question from section a which is based on a case study ? Can you mention how businesses comparing it to the case study ? Section B is more about answering the topics we need to learn ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeKnights)
    Everyone keeps saying to bring in relevant theories in answers, what theories are everybody referring to?
    The two we were taught are Handy's culture theory and Schein's culture model. There are a couple of others that people are aware of though, Wikipedia will outline them if you search culture theory I believe

ReputationRep:
    What is a business model :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeKnights)
    Ansoff and Porters Five forces.

Ansoff is like Diversification, Market Penetration, Product Development and Market Development. Here you can explain what type of method the business has used (if used any at all). You would need to talk about the advantages and the disadvantages just as Diversification is a very high risk project but can be very rewarding, and Market Penetration is a lower risk project but it's rewards can be minimal.

Business to use for Ansoff?

Tesco - Potential Market Development (Some say diversification) has occurred in the US with Fresh-And-Easy. This failed as Tesco failed to listen to their market research of what US customers wanted instead of what UK customers wanted. Estimated cost of pulling them out the US is 1billion pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BS95)
    Hi!
    Dreading this exam as I think most people are! Focusing on revising section A ATM and have quite a few good strong culture examples, but struggling with weak cultures at the minute, have Barclays and Enron for toxic but difficult to find more!

If anyone has some examples for:
    1) weak or toxic cultures
    2) examples where a change in management/leader has worsened culture
    3) a firm which has suffered despite a strong culture

Please let me know!
    Thanks
    I've been struggling to find a weak culture too, I went on a tutor2u revision clinic and someone on that gave the examples of woolworths and hmv for weak culture, but I've still got to research them to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was Amazons merger vertical, horizontal or conglomerate?

ReputationRep:
    for political and legal what can u talk about Google in China? and what businesses can you use for planning for change?

ReputationRep:
    'How can an organisational structure be changed'

Training
    Incentives
    Vision
    Persuasion from managers and leaders
    Threats?

ReputationRep:
    And the final revision day begins...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 2, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.