The Student Room Group

D1 (Decision 1) 17 May 2013 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by Vaner
Do you suggest doing solomon now? Also just to clarify, I can do diagrams in pen or pencil?

Thank you!

Arsey recommends a nice dark pencil for all of D1 :wink:
Reply 701
Original post by Anythingoo1
Ok thanks alot! Also just to be sure, say the objective line was P = 5x + 7y, and your graph went up in all the way to 60 on both axes, would it be ok to double it (x = 14, y = 10) ?

definitely, they will not accept an objective line if it is too small. It needs to be big enough to follow the gradient through.
Reply 702
Original post by Arsey
Arsey recommends a nice dark pencil for all of D1 :wink:

Mind is blown lol. Can we seriously answer in Pencil?:eek:
Original post by Arsey
I agree with you to a certain extent. The Solomon ones are based on old spec, so I went through them and binned all flows and simplex and currect spec questions that were just stupidly hard.

Most of the Solomon questions are fine and help prepare you for the awkward Edexcel questions.

Sir if you were to guess what definitions/explanations would we get in this exam??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 704
Original post by Better
Things just got serious. Arsey is here. :eek4:

Arsey is there a faster way to do Linear Programming Vertex Testing. I just did January 2013 and I finished on time but the Vertex Testing took me a very long time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ruler method all the way. I only ever paid lip service to ruler method with my students... until Jan... I let out a few expletives when I saw the YOU MUST USE POINT TESTING... :angry: 3-4 marks down the pan for most of mine.
Original post by Arsey
technically no, but on one of the past papers they accepted solutions on the dotted line in the answers.

2. flows is unlikely to be on as the sorting algorithms have to be on but it doesn't matter.

Sir do you think for route inspection they could either ask us on if you add this route the length would increase or decrease, or could another option be if G starts here which point will it finish?

Are these 2 the things we always get for route inspection
Reply 706
Original post by Flounder1
Sir if you were to guess what definitions/explanations would we get in this exam??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tree etc or matchings

I think I uploaded my definitions you need to know sheet on the other thread.
Reply 707
Hey guys hope revision is going good! I have a question thats confused me a little on the D1 May 2011 paper. Question 4 about matchings
a) I got A-1 = H-2 and A-1=H-3=C-5 the second one is not on the ms so is it incorrect?
likewise part c) I got J-4=C-3=H-2, which is also not on the ms?
Any help is appreciated!
Reply 708
Original post by Vaner
Mind is blown lol. Can we seriously answer in Pencil?:eek:

Of course you can. They prefer black pen because it shows up clearer on their scanners but you can write in luminous pink if you wish, they have to mark it regardless...

that said, it probably isn't wise to annoy a marker. Don't draw them little pictures or write them messages, rarely goes down well.
Reply 709
Original post by posthumus
Aaaahhhh damn it ! :frown: But what do they mean by "correct order" :confused::confused:

& Thanks for the response ! :smile:

As soon as you put a final label on a vertex, you put a working value on every vertex that is directly connected to it except the ones which already have final values. Have a look at the steps for Dijkstra's algorithm again if you still don't understand.
Original post by Arsey
definitely, they will not accept an objective line if it is too small. It needs to be big enough to follow the gradient through.

Sweet, thanks a bunch, this was the only thing I wasn't sure about up till now and you've explained it brilliantly.

I know there's people here who probably need you more than I do but just quickly which definitions do you think catch people out more, if that even makes sense?

Btw I sent a +rep your way, a lifesaver the way you help on this thread
Reply 711
Original post by Arsey
Tree etc or matchings

I think I uploaded my definitions you need to know sheet on the other thread.

Final Question Arsey, please would you be able to join the C3/C4 Forum and give some wisdom to us wanting to get A*s after the D1 Exam.

The general consensus on the forum has been Solomon Press ---> Real papers will get you to a 100UMS Level but some professional guidance would be great. TinyHobit (also a teacher said she might pop on when she has time).

:ta:
How do you find the optimal solution using the ruler method if it has to be in integars???????
Original post by Arsey

" "

Thank you so much ! :biggrin:

Original post by Pebbles94
As soon as you put a final label on a vertex, you put a working value on every vertex that is directly connected to it except the ones which already have final values. Have a look at the steps for Dijkstra's algorithm again if you still don't understand.

Oh okay, I get it now... thanks ! I just haven't had any practice doing so, so now I'm starting to get worried :redface:
Reply 714
Hello there,
I have a question about a paper I have done previously.

It was the Jan 2010 paper, question 5a on algorithms. I set my answer out differently from the mark schemes and still gave myself full marks.

What I suppose I am asking is when you have an algorithm question and you need to fill in a table, does it matter how you put the values into the table? I tend to write across filling in the boxes across as I go along, but the mark scheme seems to start a line for every box.

Which is the right way?

Many thanks

Toby
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Story
Hey guys hope revision is going good! I have a question thats confused me a little on the D1 May 2011 paper. Question 4 about matchings
a) I got A-1 = H-2 and A-1=H-3=C-5 the second one is not on the ms so is it incorrect?
likewise part c) I got J-4=C-3=H-2, which is also not on the ms?
Any help is appreciated!

Part a) You've wrote 3=C in your second one, 3 isn't matched to C, it's matched to R

so it would be A-1=H-3=R-4=C-5
Does anyone know whether we will need to be able to draw the activity network?
Reply 717
Original post by Westeros
Part a) You've wrote 3=C in your second one, 3 isn't matched to C, it's matched to R

so it would be A-1=H-3=R-4=C-5

thanks for the quick reply im still a little confused though, so part a is wrong?
Original post by Nitrogen
Does anyone know whether we will need to be able to draw the activity network?

Fairly possible I would say :smile: Though I would imagine it must be a pain for the examiner to mark ! Since students will get a variety of funky shapes :tongue:
I am doing the may 2008 paper and it has some odd questions... can someone tell me if there part of the specification or not...? Like this one....

..1368683122953.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending