Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: Which topic(s) are you finding most difficult?
    Shapes of molecules and ions
    11.66%
    Intermediate bonding and bond polarity
    15.95%
    Intermolecular forces
    9.82%
    Redox
    17.79%
    Group 2 & 7
    40.49%
    Kinetics & Equilibria
    14.11%
    Organic Chemistry - Alcohols and Halogenoalkanes
    39.26%
    Mechanisms
    26.38%
    Green Chemistry
    28.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    It converts emissions into something else (usually into something less harmful).

For example, in jet engines a catalytic converter may contain carbon monoxide, CO to react with NO (since these reduce ozone):

2NO + 2CO ----> H2 + 2CO2
    Thank you
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by sylly)
    Ok thanks, so it's unlikely for the paper to ask about condensation reactions?
    It may do, but they are easy to identify, is a molecule of water or some other substance lost during the reaction? If so, it's likely to be a condensation reaction.

ReputationRep:
    It's officially over between me and George !

I found my Edexcel endorsed AS text book (pretty damn ancient) - has way less information for unit 2 & 7. George is just stressing me out too much.... must get onto past papers quick !

ReputationRep:
    the startch starts off as a yellow colour then turns blue-black for a short while and the end point is colourless (the iodine has been liberated)....... i think
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by posthumus)
    It converts emissions into something else (usually into something less harmful).

For example, in jet engines a catalytic converter may contain carbon monoxide, CO to react with NO (since these reduce ozone):

2NO + 2CO ----> H2 + 2CO2
    You mean nitrogen instead of hydrogen for the reaction?

ReputationRep:
    The June 2010 paper is soo much easier than the 2011 paper and the 2012 paper was easier than 2011 also. I hope that this isn't a new trend, easy->hard->easy, if so then this year it will be hard D:

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Section C will be on CFCs'/HCFCs' on Tuesday as it has been a while since it was a main topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    You mean nitrogen instead of hydrogen for the reaction?
    Woop My bad, thanks for pointing it out Hopefully Jay here spotted that mistake

(Original post by Jayqwe)
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I prefer it on a equillibrium reaction the questions are a lot more standard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how many marks do you usually have to get for full ums?

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what the grade boundries are! The lower the boundry for an A the lower the raw mark needed to get full ums

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camellama)
    You should be aiming to get at least 65/80 in my opinion, if you are going for an A

EDIT: misread your question Like goods states, at least 75/80

(Original post by Sciencefella)
    I prefer it on a equillibrium reaction the questions are a lot more standard

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really doubt it, but if the whole of section C is on equilibria - I will be one happy dude. Even if it's Kinetic + Equilibria... I would love that ! But I believe there's always a bit of green chemistry in section C ¬_¬
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    the startch starts off as a yellow colour then turns blue-black for a short while and the end point is colourless (the iodine has been liberated)....... i think
    You add the starch when the solution is pale-yellow/straw-yellow, after adding it will form a blue-black solution and at the end point the solution should go colourless. All right.

ReputationRep:
    75+ will give full or near full ums post years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryMWilliams)
    You add the starch when the solution is pale-yellow/straw-yellow, after adding it will form a blue-black solution and at the end point the solution should go colourless. All right.
    Am I right that the reason you don't add it too early is that it allows a complex to form that is insoluble and so if added to early the colour change doesn't occur at the true end point and you overshoot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well unfortunately they have been rising quite substantially, for example the Jan 2013 paper=77/80, may 2012=75/80,may 2011=70/80,may 2010=72/80

so I reckon for Tuesday it will be 79/80 for full ums lool

ReputationRep:
    Do u need to be able to draw shapes of molecules by showing which parts stick out the page and which parts go into the page

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Goods)
    x
    Yeah, if you add the starch to early it forms an insoluble iodine-starch complex which you dont want.

x
    No, thats talking about the different planes, it's not necessary at AS I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Do u need to be able to draw shapes of molecules by showing which parts stick out the page and which parts go into the page

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, you need to be able to draw the 3D shapes.

e.g. Ammonia
    Name:  Ammonia.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  6.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to know the specifics of the uses of halogenoalkanes? i.e. do you need to know the actual names like PTFE, polychloroethane, HCFC's etc?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.