Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Anyone who have anything heard about the match in the Bundesliga yesterday? Leverkusen wins 2-1 against Hoffenheim based on the 'phantom goal': There was a corner for Leverkusen and Kießling's header goes to the side netting, but there was a hole and in this one the ball went through. The referee counted it as goal. Here is the video:

I wonder why it was happened. Normally the net is verified before the match is kick off, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Wow, so just the one point that was in it. It’s easy to point the finger at Rui Patrício and all the “if only he didn’t make that mistake on Friday we would have qualified” blah blah but the fact is we weren’t good enough when we played N.Ireland and in the Israel match away from home either where we should have picked up the full points.

I don’t understand Paulo Bento. This match would have been a perfect opportunity to give Bruma or even Pizzi some minutes and have a good look at them playing in this squad, but instead he decided to bring Almeida on, who missed a glorious chance! Wouldn’t have minded seeing Antunes given another start too. On the plus side, at least we didn't see Rolando.

I see the U21's managed to win again but due to the timing of this i didn't get to watch it.
    Yeh, I don't think Russia would have drawn that match if we had beaten Israel. They probably knew a draw was enough and did the minimum... I mean, they were winning until a late set piece so maybe they just weren't as concentrated as they would have been otherwise.

And yeh, I agree we should have seen some other players in that match. Varela just doesn't cut it for me anymore, would have been much more exciting to see Pizzi or Bruma. Maybe André Martins next to Josué in midfield too. Josué played well.

Didn't see the U21 match but I'm glad we are doing well.

As for yesterday's cup matches. Benfica put out a few of the B team players and they were pretty good for the most part. Cavaleiro was great... Didn't know he was that skillful tbh. Very interesting winger prospect. Could have scored a few goals too, but was just unlucky.

Bernardo Silva also looked interesting... Reminded me of Wilshere a bit!

And I was hoping cancelo would be given a chance, but JJ only decided to put him on at the 92nd minute and he didn't get to come on as there were only 3 minutes given.

Overall it wasn't a great performance, but it was good to see some of the youngsters.

I see Porto also scrapped through with a 1-0 win. These smaller teams are always a danger in the cup...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Yeh, I don't think Russia would have drawn that match if we had beaten Israel. They probably knew a draw was enough and did the minimum... I mean, they were winning until a late set piece so maybe they just weren't as concentrated as they would have been otherwise.

And yeh, I agree we should have seen some other players in that match. Varela just doesn't cut it for me anymore, would have been much more exciting to see Pizzi or Bruma. Maybe André Martins next to Josué in midfield too. Josué played well.

Didn't see the U21 match but I'm glad we are doing well.

As for yesterday's cup matches. Benfica put out a few of the B team players and they were pretty good for the most part. Cavaleiro was great... Didn't know he was that skillful tbh. Very interesting winger prospect. Could have scored a few goals too, but was just unlucky.

Bernardo Silva also looked interesting... Reminded me of Wilshere a bit!

And I was hoping cancelo would be given a chance, but JJ only decided to put him on at the 92nd minute and he didn't get to come on as there were only 3 minutes given.

Overall it wasn't a great performance, but it was good to see some of the youngsters.

I see Porto also scrapped through with a 1-0 win. These smaller teams are always a danger in the cup...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The draw tomorrow. I might cry if we get France! Cracking play-off for neutrals but for supporters not so! Would quite like to avoid Sweden too. To be honest, i don't want to play anyone - i wish we would stop getting into these stupid play-off situations!

That's the thing with the cup, i think we underestimate it a little when we play the smaller teams. We see it more of a reason to stick out the younger / not often first team players. It wasn't a great performance by us either. Sporting on the other hand... :rolleyes: I was hoping Fredy Montero would pick up a slight injury to knock him out of the game next weekend but there was no luck in that, instead he scores three and continues to be on fire! Always a chance he might pick up an injury in training, nothing serious but just enough to keep him out next week... one can hope!

CL for us both first though. I hope there is no repeat of the last time when we played Zenit at home where we just completely struggled to score. Hulk better not score against us either! We could really do with getting all three points though, same applies to Benfica. They completely need to bounce back from the PSG embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    The draw tomorrow. I might cry if we get France! Cracking play-off for neutrals but for supporters not so! Would quite like to avoid Sweden too. To be honest, i don't want to play anyone - i wish we would stop getting into these stupid play-off situations!

That's the thing with the cup, i think we underestimate it a little when we play the smaller teams. We see it more of a reason to stick out the younger / not often first team players. It wasn't a great performance by us either. Sporting on the other hand... :rolleyes: I was hoping Fredy Montero would pick up a slight injury to knock him out of the game next weekend but there was no luck in that, instead he scores three and continues to be on fire! Always a chance he might pick up an injury in training, nothing serious but just enough to keep him out next week... one can hope!

CL for us both first though. I hope there is no repeat of the last time when we played Zenit at home where we just completely struggled to score. Hulk better not score against us either! We could really do with getting all three points though, same applies to Benfica. They completely need to bounce back from the PSG embarrassment.
    Holy crap, I had completely forgotten that the draw was tomorrow! Damn, I'm nervous now... Hope to god we don't get France.. Anyone but France. And yeh Sweden would be tough as well, especially with an in-form Ibra.

Yeh, Sporting really went all out didn't they? Wow. A very moralising win just before a super big match. It helps them that they don't have even the Europa League to worry about midweek.

A draw in the derby would be good :P

Looking forward to having the CL back too. Hopefully both Portuguese teams can get a win. Both play at home so hopefully can count on a bit of home advantage to get the job done. Olympiakos and Zenit will be tough though.

Would be cool if Hulk scored at the Dragão. 3-1 Porto win. Would be perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Holy crap, I had completely forgotten that the draw was tomorrow! Damn, I'm nervous now... Hope to god we don't get France.. Anyone but France. And yeh Sweden would be tough as well, especially with an in-form Ibra.

Yeh, Sporting really went all out didn't they? Wow. A very moralising win just before a super big match. It helps them that they don't have even the Europa League to worry about midweek.

A draw in the derby would be good :P

Looking forward to having the CL back too. Hopefully both Portuguese teams can get a win. Both play at home so hopefully can count on a bit of home advantage to get the job done. Olympiakos and Zenit will be tough though.

Would be cool if Hulk scored at the Dragão. 3-1 Porto win. Would be perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hector Herrera is an idiot. No other word for him. Well there is but this site will just censor it out. I have no complaints about his first yellow, I just didn’t expect it to be a minute later that we would see him picking up his second yellow card. Again, I cannot complain about this one. I have no idea what made him come running out of the wall, it was even just one footstep, it was a good few footsteps forward. Some referees might have just given him a warning and awarded another free kick but this Italian referee wasn’t letting anything go.

To play the remaining 84 minutes with 10 men was always going to be a tough task, but, we put absolutely everything into this game. From Mangala, to Fernando, to Licá. Mangala was an absolute beast at the back, Fernando too and Licá was just chasing the whole Zenit team down and determined to get the ball back. I have nothing bad to say about us. We played great with 10 men. Zenit were poor, it was only Hulk who looked interested in this game. Lucho was so unlucky with hitting the bar in the first half and then Varela in the second half. Helton made a couple of good saves from Hulk shots but that was all he had to do. Hulks cross to Kerzhakov for the goal was perfect. We managed to hold on for so long and played so, so well only for an 85th minute winner.

I am genuinely still gutted about this result. You can say the defeat at home to Atleti was unlucky but sloppy defending and a clever free kick messed us over, but I really think this game was even more unlucky for us to lose. I couldn’t fault us and the team put absolutely everything they had into that. We’ve dropped vital points at home now and going to Russia and then to Spain is going to be even more difficult now.

Also, Sweden. :closedeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hector Herrera is an idiot. No other word for him. Well there is but this site will just censor it out. I have no complaints about his first yellow, I just didn’t expect it to be a minute later that we would see him picking up his second yellow card. Again, I cannot complain about this one. I have no idea what made him come running out of the wall, it was even just one footstep, it was a good few footsteps forward. Some referees might have just given him a warning and awarded another free kick but this Italian referee wasn’t letting anything go.

To play the remaining 84 minutes with 10 men was always going to be a tough task, but, we put absolutely everything into this game. From Mangala, to Fernando, to Licá. Mangala was an absolute beast at the back, Fernando too and Licá was just chasing the whole Zenit team down and determined to get the ball back. I have nothing bad to say about us. We played great with 10 men. Zenit were poor, it was only Hulk who looked interested in this game. Lucho was so unlucky with hitting the bar in the first half and then Varela in the second half. Helton made a couple of good saves from Hulk shots but that was all he had to do. Hulks cross to Kerzhakov for the goal was perfect. We managed to hold on for so long and played so, so well only for an 85th minute winner.

I am genuinely still gutted about this result. You can say the defeat at home to Atleti was unlucky but sloppy defending and a clever free kick messed us over, but I really think this game was even more unlucky for us to lose. I couldn’t fault us and the team put absolutely everything they had into that. We’ve dropped vital points at home now and going to Russia and then to Spain is going to be even more difficult now.

Also, Sweden. :closedeyes:
    Yep. Completely agree that Herrera was super dumb with both of the cards. No need to slide in on Hulk in the first one, and then running out before the kick was just silly... the ref could have just not been so uptight with the rules and just warned him though.

Has Herrera even been playing much for Porto. Kinda surprised that he was starting today.

Porto did well to create so some good chances and dominate large parts of the game, and Helton did well to save Zenit's best chances. Hitting the post so many times, it was starting to look like it was going to be one of those games, and then to conceed at the end just confirmed it. Very unlucky game overall. Could have won it with 11.

I does look tough now, a trip to Russia next will be hard (although playing like today, it is possible to get a result still). Then a trip to Spain... Atletico are on another level in this group, so I can't see Porto getting much joy there. The match in Russia is almost a must-win.

Hopefully Benfica can get a win tomorrow and get into the driving seat for the second place in the group. We are way better than Olympiakos on paper, we got rid of players like Roberto and Saviola because they weren't good enough anymore for us and they are some of their best players, and we bought Fejsa from them, who was one of their best players, who isn't going to play tomorrow and doesn't make much of a difference to us.

The difference in quality is easy to see. Hopefully that translates onto the pitch as well.

Sweden will be tough. But we are the favourites and we have to show it. A good, concentrated performance should allow us to win the tie.

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, Benfica didn't do any better either... A point is a point, but we really needed to win at home. The match in Greece will be decisive and tough, I can't see us winning playing like this.

We played really badly once again though, I can't believe how different we are compared to last season. It's like no one cares. Matic isn't playing as confidently as last season, doesn't go past players anymore, doesn't make tackles, doesn't make great forward passes, he's a shell of his last season self, and it has affected us badly.

And Ola John is starting to p*** me off too. I've normally tried to back him, but he is getting on my nerves these days. Every time he got the ball, he slowed the move down so much. Every single time. He's also nothing like what he was before... there's no speed or acceleration in him..

Everyone is out of form. I'm glad Ivan Cavaleiro came on for Ola John at HT, but the conditions were so bad he didn't really get to show anything unfortunately... I thought this would have been a perfect match for him to show a desire to win and get the crowd going..

The rain did help a bit, because we then at least had an attacking plan, even if it was just route 1 long balls.

Anyway. Overall a bad week for Portuguese clubs in Europe, so far. Porto at least performed well enough to deserve a win, and ended up with nothing, whilst Benfica did almost nothing and managed a lucky draw. Not looking good for either teams in the race for second place.

And we have Sporting in the Cup >_<

ReputationRep:
    Eintract Frankfurt absolutely murdering Tel Aviv atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Sooo, Benfica didn't do any better either... A point is a point, but we really needed to win at home. The match in Greece will be decisive and tough, I can't see us winning playing like this.

We played really badly once again though, I can't believe how different we are compared to last season. It's like no one cares. Matic isn't playing as confidently as last season, doesn't go past players anymore, doesn't make tackles, doesn't make great forward passes, he's a shell of his last season self, and it has affected us badly.

And Ola John is starting to p*** me off too. I've normally tried to back him, but he is getting on my nerves these days. Every time he got the ball, he slowed the move down so much. Every single time. He's also nothing like what he was before... there's no speed or acceleration in him..

Everyone is out of form. I'm glad Ivan Cavaleiro came on for Ola John at HT, but the conditions were so bad he didn't really get to show anything unfortunately... I thought this would have been a perfect match for him to show a desire to win and get the crowd going..

The rain did help a bit, because we then at least had an attacking plan, even if it was just route 1 long balls.

Anyway. Overall a bad week for Portuguese clubs in Europe, so far. Porto at least performed well enough to deserve a win, and ended up with nothing, whilst Benfica did almost nothing and managed a lucky draw. Not looking good for either teams in the race for second place.

And we have Sporting in the Cup >_<
    I think we were all surprised he got the nod over Defour. Herrera seems to play more for Porto B but he did start in the match against Arouca, but then that was Arouca! I don’t actually recall him playing in any more Liga games though. It was an odd choice by Paulo Fonseca.

It always seems to be “one of those games” against Zenit. I expect to get nothing in Madrid and we’ll be lucky to go picking up a point in Russia.

Yeah, Benfica weren’t much better either but the conditions really didn’t help. It’s ridiculous that game didn’t get abandoned because that pitch was atrocious in the second half and no one could do anything.

I find Lima another one who has been a lot quieter this season too. I expected him to carry on with his goal scoring spree from last season.

But yes, a bad week in the CL as you put it. Mediocre for Portuguese teams in the Europa League too. A defeat for Guimarães and Estoril just about grabbed a draw. Paços are currently drawing 0-0, so there is still some hope.

Yeah, what a crazy Taça de Portugal draw. Very tough tie against Sporting, the positive is at least you’re at home though, but they are certainly a team you don’t want to play at the moment. Porto away against Guimarães won’t be easy either.

And now to the weekend where i expect Porto go go dropping a few more points. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    **** me Ajax were terrible last night, just seen the highlights, missing Eriksen.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, terrible play from Ter Stegen and Gladbach generally. Decent game tho

ReputationRep:
    PSG down 2 0 away at ASSE who just got a man sent off. I see a comeback on the cards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    PSG down 2 0 away at ASSE who just got a man sent off. I see a comeback on the cards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What a terrible goal to concede in the 93rd minute... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    x
    There have been better matches between the two teams but I’m happy that game it out of the way. A decent second half though. Sporting deserved their goal to make it 1-1 but that was the perfect response from Porto, mainly Danilo, to conceding that goal. Lovely goal by him. I enjoy watching Alex Sandro down the left and Danilo down the right, two great guys to watch and both great at injecting a bit of pace on the wings. I think Helton deserves some credit for the save from Montero’s close header (really surprised that didn't go in, especially considering the form he is on at the moment) and that shot from Piris. It could have easily been 2-2 and it possibly would have been a different outcome at the end. Also, William Carvalho just keeps on impressing!

5 points clear at the top. I didn’t expect that to be happening tonight!

I didn’t catch any of the Benfica game. I actually forgot it was on until the 60th minute so when I checked the score and saw you were two nil up i decided to give the rest a miss.

It was a cracking win for Academica against Braga on Friday night, nice for them to move up a bit. I would like to see Paços move off the bottom by getting a win tomorrow against Guimarães, but somehow I don’t see that happening. Maritimo haven’t really had a great start to the season either. Another defeat tonight against Estoril.

ReputationRep:
    want Amsterdam is poep op de stoep en haat in de straat...

ReputationRep:
    Roma continue their ridiculously good form.. 9 wins out of 9!

ReputationRep:
    What a terrible goal to concede in the 93rd minute... :facepalm:
    Yep, PSG were gifted that point. Extremely undeserved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Weekend full of absolute shocks in the Eredivisie! :woo:
    After Twente lost on Saturday against ADO Den Haag, any of 7 teams could have capitalised to go top, but at the end of the weekend, Twente are still top...

PSV lost 2-1 at lowly Roda JC, Roda are now 3 points off the top of the table themselves (totally not legit) in 9th.
    Ajax drew in a dour 0-0 against RKC, Zwolle were beaten at home to usually Europa League travel sick AZ Alkmaar, Vitesse drew 2-2 at home to Groningen and Feyenoord lost at home 1-2 to Heracles!
    All of the big teams went down...
    Twente have only 19 points from 11 games yet still sit top. Plus Ajax are in second place also with 19 points, even after a really bad start to the season in which they haven't even won away from home yet. The table is so open, the gap is bigger from 13th to 18th than it is from 1st to 13th!

In other news, NEC's Michael Higdon scored 2 goals to help his team beat Heereneveen (another team who could have gone top) 2-1. That means NEC have won their first Eredivisie game in over 8 months!

(Original post by Zürich)
    **** me Ajax were terrible last night, just seen the highlights, missing Eriksen.
    Definitely, but he's not the only player missing. :no: Hope you're back from your ban soon btw so you can vent some more. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    There have been better matches between the two teams but I’m happy that game it out of the way. A decent second half though. Sporting deserved their goal to make it 1-1 but that was the perfect response from Porto, mainly Danilo, to conceding that goal. Lovely goal by him. I enjoy watching Alex Sandro down the left and Danilo down the right, two great guys to watch and both great at injecting a bit of pace on the wings. I think Helton deserves some credit for the save from Montero’s close header (really surprised that didn't go in, especially considering the form he is on at the moment) and that shot from Piris. It could have easily been 2-2 and it possibly would have been a different outcome at the end. Also, William Carvalho just keeps on impressing!

5 points clear at the top. I didn’t expect that to be happening tonight!

I didn’t catch any of the Benfica game. I actually forgot it was on until the 60th minute so when I checked the score and saw you were two nil up i decided to give the rest a miss.

It was a cracking win for Academica against Braga on Friday night, nice for them to move up a bit. I would like to see Paços move off the bottom by getting a win tomorrow against Guimarães, but somehow I don’t see that happening. Maritimo haven’t really had a great start to the season either. Another defeat tonight against Estoril.
    Good win for Porto. Sporting did well to get back into the game but then instantly lost concentration to allow Danilo to score (a really good goal though, have to admit), maybe it was the youth/inexperienced becoming too excited or something.

Overall, porto weren't too troubled. Helton made good saves, Montero really should have scored that one point blank chance he had.

And yes. William Carvalho was excellent for most of the match. Really impressive performance in a big match.

Benfica's match wasn't very eventful. Just a basic win without having played anything amazing. Cavaleiro got a start though, played 80mins and was pretty good. Seemed a bit timid to do anything like he showed against Cinfães though... But there were flashes of good things.

5 points already seems a bit too early, but I would have never put it past Porto yo be able to do that. They are just too consistent. A bit disappointing that we've given a big lead to Porto since its so early in the season.

Didn't manage to catch anything else..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Monaco just got knocked out of coupe de la ligue.

This along with coupe de France remains the most unpredictable tournament.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.