Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Ive seen enough of metersacker to realise he has pretty poor positioning and the slowest reaction time of any centerback ive ever seen. I think he is a real weak link in the defence, his only strength are that hes tall. if we got 70mill im sure thats enough for a striker a dm and a centerback. As for the integrating thing id rather just shove him right in like how city done with nastasic. Missing out on phil jones 2 seasons ago was a big loss for us
    :lolwut: His positioning is probably his best attribute. Yeah you won't see him making loads of hollywood last-ditch tackles (like Koscielny) but that's because most of the time his positioning is spot on so all he has to do is make a simple interception.

And what young CB do you propose that we can feasibly buy and just 'shove right in'? Because Nastastic is an exceptional talent and along with the likes of Varane is one of the best young centre backs in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Ive seen enough of metersacker to realise he has pretty poor positioning and the slowest reaction time of any centerback ive ever seen. I think he is a real weak link in the defence, his only strength are that hes tall. if we got 70mill im sure thats enough for a striker a dm and a centerback. As for the integrating thing id rather just shove him right in like how city done with nastasic. Missing out on phil jones 2 seasons ago was a big loss for us
    Mertesacker has already been discussed to death. Put it like this, everybody knows how slow he is and yet he has been picked 100 times for Germany. He must be doing something right.His tactical intelligence goes some way towards compensating for his lack of pace, people get on his back because when he gets it wrong and you see him v.slowly trying to get back into position(like vs Spurs) it looks terrible but this happens rarely. Compared to Vermaelen he makes very few mistakes imo.

Last w/e against Fulham for example he was immense, winning everything in the air and completing a crazy number of interceptions. In general ,he's been our best defender this season

Im relatively happy to play next season with Koscielny/Mert/Vermaelen as our main CBs with a 4th younger guy replacing Djourou hopefully. A DM would be much more beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    What are peoples opinions on Iggy Miquel? Has looked pretty decent every time he's been asked to play, good enough to be our Djourou replacement? Think he at least needs to be given a chance in the cups or he'll have to leave to get games.

I see Nordtveit is making something of himself at Mönchengladbach, good on him. I was disappointed when we let him go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    What are peoples opinions on Iggy Miquel? Has looked pretty decent every time he's been asked to play, good enough to be our Djourou replacement? Think he at least needs to be given a chance in the cups or he'll have to leave to get games.

I see Nordtveit is making something of himself at Mönchengladbach, good on him. I was disappointed when we let him go.
    I've only seen him play 4/5 times, apart from a crucial mistake in one match he really impressed me. At the time I remember thinking he should've been picked ahead of who he was subbed for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A draw would be a fine result tomorrow. I don't think we'll lose to either QPR, Wigan or Newcastle and may even get the full nine points. We should get the CL comfortably now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    A draw would be a fine result tomorrow. I don't think we'll lose to either QPR, Wigan or Newcastle and may even get the full nine points. We should get the CL comfortably now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    comfortably???

you mad? wont be surprised if qpr beat us and we draw at newcastle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)
    Aulas is a hard nut to crack. Remember how hard it was for Madrid to actually sign Benzema in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But doesn't wenger have a lot of pull and contacts there??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    no, he may be seen as an icon in french football but when it comes to finance with lyon, you will never get anything on the cheap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    That's the thing, whilst Remi Garde is a good friend of Wenger's, he's not the man who is going to give the go ahead on a transfer, it's Aulas who is as tight as they come. Aulas and Wenger also supposedly have a 'fractured' relationship, although that's likely blowing it out of proportion.

Aulas always drives up prices for his players. Gonalons would likely cost us in the region of £15-20m so not cheap. I think he's worth it though, all of Wenger's great teams have had that player who is happy to sit just ahead of the back 4, whether it's Petit or Gilberto Silva. Importantly, he's good at receiving the ball under pressure and is a decent passer. And as I mentioned, he's a leader and an organiser and that's something we could really do with. I would be very happy with either Gonalons or Lars Bender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Actually because of his lack of pace, Mertesacker has the best positioning and reaction time amongst our CBs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    Actually because of his lack of pace, Mertesacker has the best positioning and reaction time amongst our CBs.
    the guy takes 3 seconds longer than anybody else to make a tackle, hes probably the easiest centerback to beat on a 1v1 situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    the guy takes 3 seconds longer than anybody else to make a tackle, hes probably the easiest centerback to beat on a 1v1 situation
    How many times has he been beaten in 1v1 situations then? How many individual errors does he make in comparison to Vermaelen and Koscielny? If you are going to make claims, at least back them up with some evidence.

ReputationRep:
    How many times has he been beaten in 1v1 situations then? How many individual errors does he make in comparison to Vermaelen and Koscielny? If you are going to make claims, at least back them up with some evidence.
    Also another impossible transfer:

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/04...mmer-captures/

linking gundogan to us

Would be great if it happens but doubt it will

ReputationRep:
    where was that amazing positioning that got him sent off against WBA?

newcastle getting battered by liverpoo

ReputationRep:

He probably is Piers Morgan.
    This season he has had more than Koscielny I think both tottenham games, schalke, bayern munich, west brom for a few, all to do with positioning as well. He isn't as bad as that other guy was making out but on the other hand you are virging on making him sound like Maldini. I think he is a pretty good centreback but I would try and find better to partner Koscielny or work at the koscielny vermaelen partnership and get them playing together in the long run

gundogan for me is not th defensive midfielder we're looking for, not defensive minded enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    This season he has had more than Koscielny I think both tottenham games, schalke, bayern munich, west brom for a few, all to do with positioning as well. He isn't as bad as that other guy was making out but on the other hand you are virging on making him sound like Maldini. I think he is a pretty good centreback but I would try and find better to partner Koscielny or work at the koscielny vermaelen partnership and get them playing together in the long run
    What's the point of scrapping the koscielny mertesacker partnership which is working for a koscielny vermaelen partnership which isnt

Mertesacker is a very good centre back and has been the best out of the three this season. I would not tamper with this partnership for the next season but get a young centre back to fill in when necessary and become great later on his career (N'Koulou maybe?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    gundogan for me is not th defensive midfielder we're looking for, not defensive minded enough.
    I think he'd be a good upgrade on arteta but nothing more tbh as he doesn't fill our needs of someone just sitting in front of the back line

But if we got him I wouldnt say no!!! It would show great players are willing to come here.

ReputationRep:
    The second Tottenham game was down to Vermaelen imo. Schalke was down to the whole team being diabolical and our RB/LBs were at fault for the majority of our problems. I dont understand how you can really criticise a player for conceding against Bayern (even then, I don't remember why it was specifically his fault). West Brom was his first red card in his career wasn't it? I think we can forgive him for that.

He is a far superior player to Vermaelen. There's no doubt that we've been better defensively ever since Vermaelen has been dropped. Koscielny and Mertesacker are a very good partnership. Why do you think Vermaelen has been dropped instead of Mertesacker? No coincidence that we've been better defensively.

Tbh, our defending isn't as bad as it's made out. We've conceded the second least goals in the PL this season. Our problem isn't the back but more to do with the lack of a class striker that wins you games against Norwich away, Everton home etc.

ReputationRep:

kosc and verm are too similar to play together for me. They dont seem to compliment each other when they play. I think Mert's mistakes are just more memorable because he looks like hes running through treacle when trying to get back. But just because hes prone to spectacular mistakes doesnt mean he commits them often, he's normally solid. Vermaelen was worse vs Bayern for example and I really cant remember a good game from his this season.

Vermaelen just hasnt been at the races all season, and if we're honest, hasnt been any where the level of his debut season. Theres a chance he can get back to that level but I dont see how Mert can lose his place to him.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.