The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Will there be no place to leave our things during the interview and group task? I will be coming with a small suitcase so I don't really want to take it with me the entire day!
Original post by notapotato
do you have to bring all academic certificates to the interview because the email really did'nt specify? also good luck to everyone on the day!

I don't think so but never hurts. I am pretty sure they don't need them.

Original post by Joanne9495
Will there be no place to leave our things during the interview and group task? I will be coming with a small suitcase so I don't really want to take it with me the entire day!

There will be space in the waiing areas but I don't think there is anywhere secure. It should be safe though as interviews are in a fairly secure area :yes:.
Do you need to have a crb check before med school ??
Original post by Helen-xx
Do you need to have a crb check before med school ??

They do one when you arrive as part of your first week.
Reply 704
what was the latest date people with interviews on the 27th find out about their interview?
Reply 705
Even though i didn't see anyone with march interview, i think my application was unsuccessful. Is there any chance in the eventual possibility of achieving AAA at the end ( my predicted grades are A*BB) to call them and reconsider the application ?
I heard someone saying every uni reserve few places for those who achieve better final grades than predicted.
Original post by Cipcip
Even though i didn't see anyone with march interview, i think my application was unsuccessful. Is there any chance in the eventual possibility of achieving AAA at the end ( my predicted grades are A*BB) to call them and reconsider the application ?
I heard someone saying every uni reserve few places for those who achieve better final grades than predicted.

I don't think so unfortunately no! The way QUB work it is that they rank everyone who is interview and the top half or so are given offers. The offers belonging to anyone who is given an offer but goes to a different university or doesn't meet the conditions of their offer, is given to the person next on the interview ranking system. It is these people who can then receive offers in August.

I recommend taking a year out if you really are set on Medicine, and just focus on getting those AAA this year!
Original post by Cipcip

It isn't over until it is. Often they give out offers to the definites and then work through maybes.

Grades don't matter in BM6. They don't care if you get BBC or A*A*A*. That isn't what matters.

Lots of unis reserve places for people who do better than expected, yes. It's called adjustment in UCAS. However it doesn't apply to medicine. You can call unis on results day and see if they have spaces but it is rare.

Original post by Sanj14
what was the latest date people with interviews on the 27th find out about their interview?

March/April time.

Original post by lboyle426
I don't think so unfortunately no! The way QUB work it is that they rank everyone who is interview and the top half or so are given offers. The offers belonging to anyone who is given an offer but goes to a different university or doesn't meet the conditions of their offer, is given to the person next on the interview ranking system. It is these people who can then receive offers in August.

I recommend taking a year out if you really are set on Medicine, and just focus on getting those AAA this year!

That's not how Southampton do it.

They give out 40-45 offers and unless they have an enormous number of students not coming they just go along with a smaller year group.

And AAA isn't applicable to BM6 students :nah:. BBC is all the matters.
Original post by Neostigmine
It isn't over until it is. Often they give out offers to the definites and then work through maybes.

Grades don't matter in BM6. They don't care if you get BBC or A*A*A*. That isn't what matters.

Lots of unis reserve places for people who do better than expected, yes. It's called adjustment in UCAS. However it doesn't apply to medicine. You can call unis on results day and see if they have spaces but it is rare.

March/April time.

That's not how Southampton do it.

They give out 40-45 offers and unless they have an enormous number of students not coming they just go along with a smaller year group.

And AAA isn't applicable to BM6 students :nah:. BBC is all the matters.

Do you know how many GCSE they require for BM5 ive seen people with 10 A* this as an adult is not open to me i can get 6 I know BM6 is 3 the English the maths and the science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vickie89uk
Do you know how many GCSE they require for BM5 ive seen people with 10 A* this as an adult is not open to me i can get 6 I know BM6 is 3 the English the maths and the science

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm5_a100.page#entry
^ fortunately we will be surrounded by a bunch of medics then ahahahah
Why do Southampton do prosections and not cadaveric dissection?
Original post by manahal20
Why do Southampton do prosections and not cadaveric dissection?

"Why" is an interesting question.... Why do you think that dissection is the normal method of learning?

This is one of my old posts on dissection vs prosection:

Dissection is obviously a rich learning experience. However, in my experience it is not the only way or even the best way to learn anatomy!

Firstly, it is extremely expensive for the university to provide cadavers to everyone/lots of people in order for everyone to do a dissection. When you do prosection there is more funding to put into other resources.

Secondly, dissection is a long process. Anatomy already takes up a lot of my timetable (3 hours timetabled with 3 hours expected in our own time each week) and I am only doing prosection. Dissections take a LONG time, and when there are over 600 muscles in the body (not that you learn them all at one time of course) it is hard enough to cover the material for that, without having to cut and find them yourself. Also, but reducing this time spent finding muscles, nerves etc yourself means you can spend longer learning other aspects of the anatomy.

Another of the big issues for me is anatomical variation and difficulty finding structures. Some of the structures you need to learn about (especially nerves and blood vessels) are TINY! If you're not sure what you're doing you can easily lose it. Prosection allows you have experienced and professional anatomists finding and beautifully dissecting out the structure. I personally prefer this and it allows you to see really wonderful specimens. Also, every body is different. I had a friend do a week long dissection of a neck where she beautifully displayed every layer, just to find that this patient for some reason, didn't even have the thyroid gland she was looking for. While prosection specimens do have variations on what is normal, this is already shown, and you don't have to consider this when you're trying to dissect.

Prosection enables you to walk into a room and see exactly what it is you came to learn. A lot of the time they're also not just independent structures, but large dissections where you can peel back each layer and see the organ or structure in situ. Our anatomy exams are called "IAPP"s which are integrated anatomy physiology and pathology exams. This means our questions are not purely anatomy but there are other aspects. Having less time required to learn the pure anatomy allows you to start applying other aspects of the course to your learning right away.

That said, if you want to, you can do dissection in year 3!

I am sure that for some people, they want to cut and that is what makes it interesting for them. But when it comes to it, when you have so much to learn (anatomy and otherwise), prosection is a really quick and efficient way to learn exactly the same content!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Neostigmine
"Why" is an interesting question.... Why do you think that dissection is the normal method of learning?

This is one of my old posts on dissection vs prosection:

Dissection is obviously a rich learning experience. However, in my experience it is not the only way or even the best way to learn anatomy!

Firstly, it is extremely expensive for the university to provide cadavers to everyone/lots of people in order for everyone to do a dissection. When you do prosection there is more funding to put into other resources.

Secondly, dissection is a long process. Anatomy already takes up a lot of my timetable (3 hours timetabled with 3 hours expected in our own time each week) and I am only doing prosection. Dissections take a LONG time, and when there are over 600 muscles in the body (not that you learn them all at one time of course) it is hard enough to cover the material for that, without having to cut and find them yourself. Also, but reducing this time spent finding muscles, nerves etc yourself means you can spend longer learning other aspects of the anatomy.

Another of the big issues for me is anatomical variation and difficulty finding structures. Some of the structures you need to learn about (especially nerves and blood vessels) are TINY! If you're not sure what you're doing you can easily lose it. Prosection allows you have experienced and professional anatomists finding and beautifully dissecting out the structure. I personally prefer this and it allows you to see really wonderful specimens. Also, every body is different. I had a friend do a week long dissection of a neck where she beautifully displayed every layer, just to find that this patient for some reason, didn't even have the thyroid gland she was looking for. While prosection specimens do have variations on what is normal, this is already shown, and you don't have to consider this when you're trying to dissect.

Prosection enables you to walk into a room and see exactly what it is you came to learn. A lot of the time they're also not just independent structures, but large dissections where you can peel back each layer and see the organ or structure in situ. Our anatomy exams are called "IAPP"s which are integrated anatomy physiology and pathology exams. This means our questions are not purely anatomy but there are other aspects. Having less time required to learn the pure anatomy allows you to start applying other aspects of the course to your learning right away.

That said, if you want to, you can do dissection in year 3!

I am sure that for some people, they want to cut and that is what makes it interesting for them. But when it comes to it, when you have so much to learn (anatomy and otherwise), prosection is a really quick and efficient way to learn exactly the same content!

Thanks for this, you're fab! I am really interested in forensic pathology (although I am aware my mind will probably change throughout med school) and prosection is what I think I would prefer at first! :smile:

I don't have photocopies of my birth certificate or passport, is this a huge problem?
Reply 714
has anyone been called for an interview on march 6th?
on the prevision email it said they will inform 2-3weeks prior the interview however i see people who found out a week before the feb 27th interview..?
Original post by Joanne9495
Thanks for this, you're fab! I am really interested in forensic pathology (although I am aware my mind will probably change throughout med school) and prosection is what I think I would prefer at first! :smile:

I don't have photocopies of my birth certificate or passport, is this a huge problem?

No problem. :h:

I think they'll just take copies for you so it shouldn't be a problem. :yes:
If you haven't had an interview email should you assume it's over now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How was it guys? I was fortunate enough to have two really lovely interviewers who really made me feel at ease. The group task though felt a bit like there was a piece of meat on the table and everyone was going for it.
Thats not fair on people who still are going to have an interview/had an interview. Please don't talk about your interview. Thank you.
Nobody is taking about it in specifics. Saying that it went bad or good doesn't advantage or disadvantage anyone ☺️

Latest

Trending

Trending