The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dylann
Yep someone on the other Durham thread literally just said they didn't know much about it either. I watched their promo video and one guy said the thing he likes most was looking at the ducks on the lake on the way to morning lectures :colonhash:

Gunna be a long couple years :cry:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 701
Original post by Audi

I stayed at Van Mildert for a week over the summer for a summer school. It all seemed pretty reasonable. There's quite a nice amount of space, probably due to the lake and from what I remember the food was rather good!
Original post by hope1817
How many applicants per place is Castle then?!

Yeah i only know that castle's 12 not sure about jb :tongue:
Original post by Kerry A
I stayed at Van Mildert for a week over the summer for a summer school. It all seemed pretty reasonable. There's quite a nice amount of space, probably due to the lake and from what I remember the food was rather good!

Good food can really make the difference! What else can you remember about the rooms?

Original post by Audi

Meh I don't think it's too bad actually, as long as you participate in societies and things! What subject will you be studying?

Original post by hope1817
I know 2 people who applied to van mildert and got in ☺️

Oh cool, for what subjects?

Original post by Hayley Williams
I stayed in van Mildert when I went for a chemistry summer school and the rooms were plain nasty. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I'll see for myself when I go to the open day :smile:
Original post by riddhi.mane
Hello, there! Does anyone else have an offer for studying BSc Psychology?

I have an offer for psychology! AAA which is pretty tough but manageable I guess...

Do you have an offer?
Reply 705
Original post by trubadur
My choices were very similar,too:smile: for the same course MChem(industry).
I got offers from Durham, StAndrews, York and Nott and still waiting for Edinburgh.In Durham I got allocated to St.Cuthbert's, as I applied for.
It looks like it would be a hard decision between Durham and StA:wink:
Will you please extend a bit the reasons for your decision.It might be helpful for me and I would be grateful.
Thanks a lot and :goodluck:Maybe we'll meet at the freshers':smile:

Extremely similar - my only difference was Cardiff instead of Nottingham. :smile:

What narrowed it down to St Andrews and Durham for me was the smallness, traditions, reputation and the town essentially being the uni campus. This makes them pretty similar, but the key differences are in degree structure and halls vs colleges. Plus travelling distance, but that didn't factor into it for me.

Anyway, in my opinion the questions to ask yourself are whether you a) would appreciate the broad first year at St As, b) don't mind being dropped into the 2nd year there if not and c) care about when the industrial placement year is. Then, if you can, use their open days to get a feel for their social side - especially colleges at Durham.

Yep, hopefully see you there! Good luck with your decision.
Reply 706
I got an offer for Durham's Intl. Summer School. Anyone else for the same here?

I will be graduating in 2016 with History major
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 707
Original post by Dylann
Good food can really make the difference! What else can you remember about the rooms?

My room was actually quite a bit bigger than I expected it to be. There was a very nicely sized window which made a massive difference to the feel of the room. I can't remember much about the storage, as I was only there for a few days it didn't make a massive impact. But I did fully unpack and there were entire drawers and shelves by the sink left untouched as I didn't need the space, so there must have been a good amount!
It wasn't ensuite, I can't remember if any of the rooms there were, but the showers were literally two feet away. What I remember about the showers was they were sort of in two parts, each shower had its own room (I mean, the room was tiny, but a room all the same), and then a curtain across the main bit of the shower. So you did feel like you had a lot of privacy.
Downside was the toilets were at the other end of the corridor. I think they seemed to have showers one end, toilets at the other, so it's probably just chance. But the corridors weren't particularly long as they split each floor into two sections.
Another slight issue I had was that the desk was right in front of the window and covered the entire floor space in front of it. It was a lovely sized desk! However, I'm actually quite short and an odd issue I had was that I struggled to reach across to open and close the curtains...
Truth be told, from some of the horrible student accommodation I've seen, it wasn't half bad!
Original post by knope
Extremely similar
What narrowed it down to St Andrews and Durham

Thank you very much for your kind answer.It looks like we have a lot of things in common(at least, the way we are thinking about unis):smile:
I have been to StA last year at the Science Summer School(4 weeks).It was a great experience,I enjoyed it a lot.By comparison, I have never been to Durham, and there is no chance to go there before induction( I am from Bucharest Romania).But everything I read about, videos, comments etc, attracted me at least at the same level.In terms of degree structure, I do consider Durham more suitable for me( flexibility of optional modules in the first years, external placement in the last year, etc).At the same time the collegiate system is more desirable for me.
Frankly speaking, in autumn the moment I applied, my first choice was 75% StA and now already Durham is leading, by 60%:wink:
Thanks again and any other comments, hints or tips are welcome:smile:
Reply 709
Original post by emzyyyyy
That's fair enough!, I still don't know what my firm or insurance will be.Have you put your choices into UCAS?.Now you just have to get the grades!.Im sure we will be just fine at St.Johns it sound like a really friendly college.My only reservation about Durham is it's location as it is up north.Do you know what the weather is like all year round?.I only ask because I have Raynaud's syndrome which makes me extremely sensitive to the cold.

Yeah I've done my choices! Unfortunately my firm want more than my insurance but oh well (Durham reduced my offer from A*AA to ABB after I did supported progression, and Lancaster want AAB!) :') I hope I get the grades, the thought makes me il ahahah. I'm so so excited for Johns, I wish there was a fb group or something for us all to chat and get to know each other! Yeah, I live like an hour and a half away. Summer isn't that bad at all, it was really really hot this year. Winter can be pretty cold though, not going to lie, it was -5 where I am in Cumbria last month:frown:
Hey!! I got an offer from Durham for a business course. At stephenson college. Anyone else going to be there? Does anyone know what it's going to be like? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 711
Original post by confusion-fusion
Hey!! I got an offer from Durham for a business course. At stephenson college. Anyone else going to be there? Does anyone know what it's going to be like? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got offer for Stephenson , primary education though , I'm worried it's gonna be too isolated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kerry A

Hearing that they have good food is a definite relief! That's really helpful, thank you :biggrin:

Original post by Dylann
Meh I don't think it's too bad actually, as long as you participate in societies and things! What subject will you be studying?

I've heard it's supposed to be quite a sporty college? I'll (results day assuming) be studying straight economics, and you?
Original post by Elle97
Yeah I've done my choices! Unfortunately my firm want more than my insurance but oh well (Durham reduced my offer from A*AA to ABB after I did supported progression, and Lancaster want AAB!) :') I hope I get the grades, the thought makes me il ahahah. I'm so so excited for Johns, I wish there was a fb group or something for us all to chat and get to know each other! Yeah, I live like an hour and a half away. Summer isn't that bad at all, it was really really hot this year. Winter can be pretty cold though, not going to lie, it was -5 where I am in Cumbria last month:frown:

Believe me Cumbria has much worse weather than the North East 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Audi
Hearing that they have good food is a definite relief! That's really helpful, thank you :biggrin:

I've heard it's supposed to be quite a sporty college? I'll (results day assuming) be studying straight economics, and you?

Yeah but they don't seem to be doing too well in the league at the moment lol...and they haven't got a table tennis team. I'll be doing chemistry (economics is awesome btw, I do it at A2 :wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
I've got offer for Stephenson , primary education though , I'm worried it's gonna be too isolated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool!!! :biggrin: will you be firming with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I recieved an offer from them on the 4th December, so I am sure you will get an offer soon :smile: and also what college you applied for??
Original post by riddhi.mane
Hello, there! Does anyone else have an offer for studying BSc Psychology?

Yep I got mine 3rd of February.
Original post by Jams97

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an offer from stephenson too yesterday, and I don't think it will be isolated because there will be other student there all the time and also there is thornaby train station ten mins away and a free bus to Durham uni as well :smile:
Reply 719
Original post by confusion-fusion
Cool!!! :biggrin: will you be firming with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure, the location of the campus is a big factor for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending