Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Firstly you don't really need to know a whole lot, as most are either on the formula sheet or can easily be derived from it eg sin2a isn't on there but sin(a+b) is so you can just do sin(a+a) to get the identity for sin2a. The only ones you really have to know are 1+tan^2 =sec^2 and 1+cot^2 =cosec^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome thanks for that.. ok this is probably gonna be a really dumb question but I after putting sina+a I got sinAcosA + cosAsinA .. is that the same as 2(sinAcosA) cause one of them is the other way round *hides face*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pearl_rose)
    Awesome thanks for that.. ok this is probably gonna be a really dumb question but I after putting sina+a I got sinAcosA + cosAsinA .. is that the same as 2(sinAcosA) cause one of them is the other way round *hides face*
    Yes its the same just like (3x2) +(2x3) is the same as (3x2) + (3x2)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is the quotient rule:
    VU' - UV' / VSQUARED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rkai01)
    Is the quotient rule:
    VU' - UV' / VSQUARED
    Yes it is. And anyway its on the formula sheet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randlemcmurphy)
    For "1+tan^2 =sec^2 and 1+cot^2 =cosec^2" I would just recommend remembering sin2x+cos2x=1, and then altering that in the exam for the specific identity needed.
    Yes it is fairly easy to derive that one as well (just divide by sin^2 or cos^2) I just put that one as a lot of people don't realise that there is even an identity linking them so may not realise to do that in the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok thanks guys, what about the Rsin(x+a) types? And how do you get to 1+tan^2=sec^2 and 1+cot^2=cosec^2 from sin2x+cos2x=1?

ReputationRep:
    Is the quotient rule:
    VU' - UV' / VSQUARED
    Not sure, but it is in the formula booklet.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks guys, what about the Rsin(x+a) types? And how do you get to 1+tan^2=sec^2 and 1+cot^2=cosec^2 from sin2x+cos2x=1?
    For Rsin(x+a) I would expand it to get Rsinxcosa+Rcosxsina and then equate terms.

For 1+tan^2=sec^2 divide sin2x+cos2x=1 by cosine.
    For 1+cot^2=cosec^2 divide sin2x+cos2x=1 by sine.

ReputationRep:
    And D/Dx (SechX) = -SechXTanhX right?

ReputationRep:
    Rsin(x+a) expand sin(x+a) and do coefficient matching eg if you had 7sinx + 4cosx then when you expand rsin(x+a) you would get Rsinxcosa +rsinacosx. By matching the coefficients of the two, you can say that rcosa =7 and rsina=4. Then you can divide the two to get tan a. R is basically coefficient if sin squared plus coefficient of cos squared all rooted. For us it normally tells you its positive but just be careful as it could be -ve. To get the two identities you just divide by either sin^2 or cos^2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And D/Dx (SechX) = -SechXTanhX right?
    Fp3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to set up rates of change differentiating Q's?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, but it is in the formula booklet.
    Is it the f(x)/g(x) one? We have to learn the product and chain rule off by heart though right?

ReputationRep:
    Is it the f(x)/g(x) one? We have to learn the product and chain rule off by heart though right?
    Product and chain rule you need to know yes but they are fairly easy to remember

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Product and chain rule you need to know yes but they are fairly easy to remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, thanks so much :]

ReputationRep:
    Also what's the chances of being asked to sketch a sec cos or cot graphs?

ReputationRep:
    For the Rsin(x + a) thing is it ok (ie will I get full marks) if I just remember how to do it straight away without working (eg for the above you do a = arctan (coefficient of cos over coefficient of sin)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aersh8)
    For the Rsin(x + a) thing is it ok (ie will I get full marks) if I just remember how to do it straight away without working (eg for the above you do a = arctan (coefficient of cos over coefficient of sin)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You would risk losing marks. No point in doing that really not like it takes long to write it out (especially if you made a stupid mistake you would get 0)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rsin(x+a) expand sin(x+a) and do coefficient matching eg if you had 7sinx + 4cosx then when you expand rsin(x+a) you would get Rsinxcosa +rsinacosx. By matching the coefficients of the two, you can say that rcosa =7 and rsina=4. Then you can divide the two to get tan a. R is basically coefficient if sin squared plus coefficient of cos squared all rooted. For us it normally tells you its positive but just be careful as it could be -ve. To get the two identities you just divide by either sin^2 or cos^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For Rsin(x+a) I would expand it to get Rsinxcosa+Rcosxsina and then equate terms.

For 1+tan^2=sec^2 divide sin2x+cos2x=1 by cosine.
    For 1+cot^2=cosec^2 divide sin2x+cos2x=1 by sine.
    Ok how are y'all moving from rsin(x+a) to Rsinxcosa + Rcosxsina?

ReputationRep:
    Ok how are y'all moving from rsin(x+a) to Rsinxcosa + Rcosxsina?
    Expansion of sin(x+a)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Expansion of sin(x+a)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't follow :[

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2016

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.