Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    and the MS?
    It's on the same website in another section

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the examiners report for F214 June 2014?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kattiieee96)
    does anyone have the examiners report for F214 June 2014?
    they're on the OCR website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebc)
    they're on the OCR website
    Oh haha thank you!

ReputationRep:
    f215 isn't nice

ReputationRep:
    do you guys think it is still possible to get an A* overall in biology with 36/40 in the PSAs?

ReputationRep:
    do you guys think it is still possible to get an A* overall in biology with 36/40 in the PSAs?
    Of course fam

36 is an roughly an a, right?

36/40 is then 80% of 60 ums which is 48 ums for your isa

So you need 222 ums (270-48) from f214 and f215 combined to get an a*, providing you get 480/600 for the whole a-level as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brother aldi)
    Of course fam

36 is an roughly an a, right?

36/40 is then 80% of 60 ums which is 48 ums for your isa

So you need 222 ums from f214 and f215 combined to get an a*, providing you get 480/600 for the whole a-level as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah it is just an A thank god
    just this whole stress of needing 90% in all A2 units confuses me

ReputationRep:
    yeah it is just an A thank god
    just this whole stress of needing 90% in all A2 units confuses me
    Yeah, it can be a lil confusing, fam

But to get the a*, you need 480/600 for the whole a-level and 270/300 for the a2 units. Doesnt matter how you get the 270 from the 3 a2 units, just as long as you reach it, it's all good. So you could get 100% in f214, 90% in f215 and 80% in f216 but still get a*

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brother aldi)
    Yeah, it can be a lil confusing, fam

But to get the a*, you need 480/600 for the whole a-level and 270/300 for the a2 units. Doesnt matter how you get the 270 from the 3 a2 units, just as long as you reach it, it's all good. So you could get 100% in f214, 90% in f215 and 80% in f216 but still get a*

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    okok ty!

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain to me what we need to know on gibberellins and stem elongation?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the june 2014 paper for f215 ??? Thank youuu

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh hahaha dw , saw someone just posted it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so are these the steps of genome sequencing: BEFORE: 1) PCR used to amplify DNA fragments 2) These DNA fragments undergo electrophoresis for seperation 3) DNA probes used to identify the fragments NOWADAYS: Automated sequencing used, with interrupted PCR to create fragments of different lengths and electrophoresis all in one type of machine

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know the different lobes of the cerebrum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tewas)
    so are these the steps of genome sequencing: BEFORE: 1) PCR used to amplify DNA fragments 2) These DNA fragments undergo electrophoresis for seperation 3) DNA probes used to identify the fragments NOWADAYS: Automated sequencing used, with interrupted PCR to create fragments of different lengths and electrophoresis all in one type of machine
    Would a DNA probe actually be used in sequencing?
    DNA probe is used to identify a gene correct? If you are sequencing a genome, you don't know what the genes are surely? So how would a DNA probe be used to identify a gene if the genes have never been seen before for example?

I thought DNA probe was used to identify gene so you know where to use restriction enzymes to extract said gene.

But I may be wrong I dislike genomes and gene technology a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys

I am really struggling with evidence regarding chemiosmosis. Could someone help me with this please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tewas)
    (Original post by Hilton184)
    Would a DNA probe actually be used in sequencing?
    DNA probe is used to identify a gene correct? If you are sequencing a genome, you don't know what the genes are surely? So how would a DNA probe be used to identify a gene if the genes have never been seen before for example?

I thought DNA probe was used to identify gene so you know where to use restriction enzymes to extract said gene.

But I may be wrong I dislike genomes and gene technology a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Arent probes used to locate a known gene?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnekaChan173)
    Arent probes used to locate a known gene?
    Yeah I think that's right.

So a gene probe wouldn't be used to sequence a genome? As before sequencing the genome is unknown? So a gene probe would have no use in sequencing correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hilton184)
    Yeah I think that's right.

So a gene probe wouldn't be used to sequence a genome? As before sequencing the genome is unknown? So a gene probe would have no use in sequencing correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it shouldn't. Probes could attach to anywhere that's complementary, and could also form temp H-bonds with areas that aren't completely complementary, so they wouldn't be all that helpful in sequencing, right? The only time I've really seen anything about probes was locating a gene for genetic engineering

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.