subject1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by adam harperRB)
Its all opinion based, you could argue that as kenya has such a large reliance on its natural environment e.g. 50% need it for water and there is a 70% reliance on fuelwood, it depends how i feel in the exam which one ill choose
Well tbh 100% of water comes from the natural environment, even in the UK, unless we use desalination

Perhaps you could say that with improvements to infrastructure, technological advances and renewable energy can be passed down to more rural areas, reducing their reliance on fuelwood? Something similar to Riders but for energy?
MedievalWitch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lemxn)
I did a question on the websites today which was from a past paper (reworded to fit this topic) and the mark scheme was actually quite simple!

You should look out for quality of graphs/images/information/maps, relevance, sources, ease of navigation, if the information is up to date or biased etc
okay ill make some notes on that thank you
Bunny2014
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Could someone outline the main goals of Riders for Health please? xx Many thanks xx
knifeblade
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I feel like I don't know enough for this, what are the main points that we need to know? If you get what I mean. Any help would seriously be appreciated
jmasterson11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MedievalWitch)
yeah but everyones saying you need statistics and notes on climate change and environment and vision2030 i just dont see how they link to the booklet and why you need them
haha you don't, I did this paper last year, focusing too much on outside research failed me.. you need to analyse, formulate your own opinions and so you can think like a geographer not just recite stats
MedievalWitch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
stats arent essential, a wider knowledge is what they are looking for, climate change just talk about increased temperature=more desert in some regions, movement of animals and this could disrupt eco-tourism, then just say why Kenya being at threat of basically becoming an entire desert is a bad thing which is easy enough.
2030 just links because it shows they are actively trying to improve and they are aiming to achieve the MDG's
alright thanks :')
subject1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakz14)
  • Discuss the issues that the physical and human geography of Kenya present for the distribution of medical resources. (15marks) Would anyone be able to help? Would be extremely appreciated
Physical:
- terrain - Kenya is highly mountainous, with most people living at over 2000m above sea level. Supplies that are imported into Mombasa at the coast have to get to 2000m above sea level!
- climate - monsoon season makes unpaved roads impassable. Most people live in mountainous areas, which can suffer from landslides during the wet season.
- High population density in high precipitation areas - population more at risk from malaria, increasing demand for anti-malarials and treatment.
- Kenya is a large country with small villages. To provide good infrastructure to all of them would be hugely expensive with high maintenance costs.

Human:
- Most physicians are located in urban areas, and there is a flow of doctors out of the country. This leads to a shortage of staff to deliver healthcare in rural areas.
- There are areas which have a very high poverty density. This creates problems for local authorities because poorer people have higher demand for public healthcare, but drugs are delivered proportionally. Demand for drugs often outstrips supply, in some cases KEMSA has blocked supplies due to delayed payments by local authorities.
- There are many sparely populated regions, particularly in the north and east of the country. It is very difficult to provide local community care to these settlements.
MedievalWitch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jmasterson11)
haha you don't, I did this paper last year, focusing too much on outside research failed me.. you need to analyse, formulate your own opinions and so you can think like a geographer not just recite stats
i didnt think we did because our teacher said dont do any further research but look through the websites on the back and my other teacher just gave us how many doctors were in Nairobi, how many leave etc. and they said that was enough but people have just confuse me. Thank you x
JackWilsh10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
YOU'RE NOT MEANT TO LEARN FACTS YOU SILLY PEOPLE

use the AIB - thats what it's their for.

xx
adam harperRB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bunny2014)
Could someone outline the main goals of Riders for Health please? xx Many thanks xx
Basically using a focus aimed at appropriate technology and transport, help develop kenyas health infrastructure via the extension of current health services to those in isolated areas who are unable to get treatment as well as educate on health issues
subject1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jmasterson11)
You are spot on. Background knowledge is useful but they should only add towards discussion, not be the main body of the answer.
Rakz14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
  • Discuss the issues that the physical and human geography of Kenya present for the distribution of medical resources. (15marks) Would anyone be able to help? Would be extremely appreciated
- I was going to talk about the relief how - the distribution itself isnt accessible due to remote areas not being able to access the areas (refer to 14% stat from item1 - Then talk about the logistics and centralised system presented by KEMSA where they would distribute based on population density, rather than what medical resources are needed. What else could I talk about?
subject1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bunny2014)
- improve access to community care in remote regions, in order to reduce the incidences of malaria, HIV/AIDS and diarrhoea. This is done using appropriate and practical solutions.
- provide the "last mile" in ehalthcare delivery
- Training workers so that they are equipped to work and travel in Kenya's harsh terrain.
-Strategies improve health and help Kenya to meet the MDGs.
gedfed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anyone highlight how climate change willl detract from kenyas ability to achieve MDGS?
adam harperRB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakz14)
- I was going to talk about the relief how - the distribution itself isnt accessible due to remote areas not being able to access the areas (refer to 14% stat from item1 - Then talk about the logistics and centralised system presented by KEMSA where they would distribute based on population density, rather than what medical resources are needed. What else could I talk about?
You could include points about corruption and crime, lowering the amount of medical supplies, physical you could say how he rift valley may make villages inaccessible, the lack of appropriate technology in terms of the lorries being used rather than smaller more manoeuvrable vehicles, mountainous terrain, lack of staff and highlight the 8 staff to 77 vehicles in item 1.
subject1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gedfed)
Can anyone highlight how climate change willl detract from kenyas ability to achieve MDGS?
Reduce productivity (more intense monsoon) in agriculture, which will increase poverty.
Warmer temperatures will increase the incidences of malaria and other tropical diseases.
adam harperRB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gedfed)
Increased temperature will increase the prevalence of diseases such as malaria, it will also make droughts more severe and force people to move creating higher poverty and population densities, will also harm the agricultural and farming industry, will lead to an advancement of the saheal desert and this will make more people hard to reach etc. Will perhaps increase heat stroke chance in the young and elderly
Bunny2014
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by subject1)
- improve access to community care in remote regions, in order to reduce the incidences of malaria, HIV/AIDS and diarrhoea. This is done using appropriate and practical solutions.
- provide the "last mile" in ehalthcare delivery
- Training workers so that they are equipped to work and travel in Kenya's harsh terrain.
-Strategies improve health and help Kenya to meet the MDGs.
Great!! Thanks so could this be a possible 5 marker? xxx
MikeBird
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would you say MDG 7 is on target?
Rakz14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could include points about corruption and crime, lowering the amount of medical supplies, physical you could say how he rift valley may make villages inaccessible, the lack of appropriate technology in terms of the lorries being used rather than smaller more manoeuvrable vehicles, mountainous terrain, lack of staff and highlight the 8 staff to 77 vehicles in item 1.
As its a discuss question would you evaluate some of these points explaining how the distribution is improved? Thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads