St George's
    5.56%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.12%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    2 years on from getting my A-Level results and getting into med school but reading this thread is still giving me anxiety
    Why's that? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    Why's that? :lol:
    Med school applications are heavy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    Med school applications are heavy
    Ah, yes. That :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I see your wanting more traditional courses and like london, which is great

Can i ask why you dont feel like PBL is for you? So many people think this when apply but then end up really liking that style of learning after experiencing it, it just would be nice to know what is putting you off.

If your BMAT prep doesnt go to well avoid ICL and go for UCL, if its the other way around then go ICL instead of UCL. But i would 100% go for kings or barts if your UKCAT is good!

Birmingham by the way is a traditional course.

My worry with both edinburgh and cambridge is its so competative, so definetly if you go for these two try and avoid a BMAT uni as you dont need 3 risky applications at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it's mainly what I have seen people say about it eg. Content isn't in as much detail you find you have gaps in your knowledge etc. And it seems kind of intimidating idk (this is just me being dumb lol)

What is barts thing about UCAS points, I keep seeing that they care about UCAS tariff but don't know what that is 😂 Thanks for the advice

Yeah definitly! Will only go for Edinburgh from UKCAT goes well too so yeah, my other two will be "safer" options per say
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Well it's mainly what I have seen people say about it eg. Content isn't in as much detail you find you have gaps in your knowledge etc. And it seems kind of intimidating idk (this is just me being dumb lol)

What is barts thing about UCAS points, I keep seeing that they care about UCAS tariff but don't know what that is 😂 Thanks for the advice

Yeah definitly! Will only go for Edinburgh from UKCAT goes well too so yeah, my other two will be "safer" options per say
    Content is in detail at my med school, they just leave gaps for us to go away and add the detail. Were not completely alone though we do the independent work to fill in the gaps in our knowledge and bring our findings to case group, so if your stuck you share ideas as a group and can learn from other peoples ideas. We also get learning outcomes so if you follow them you will always know more than enough.

Ucas points can easily be googled, ucas allocates points to Alevel grades as well as EPQs and music qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Content is in detail at my med school, they just leave gaps for us to go away and add the detail. Were not completely alone though we do the independent work to fill in the gaps in our knowledge and bring our findings to case group, so if your stuck you share ideas as a group and can learn from other peoples ideas. We also get learning outcomes so if you follow them you will always know more than enough.

Ucas points can easily be googled, ucas allocates points to Alevel grades as well as EPQs and music qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay! And hmm havnt done epq or music so that's probably not the best idea then hahs

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone

GCSEs
    4 A* - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics
    7 A - English Language, English Literature, Biology, German, Graphic Products, Religious Studies and History

AS
    Information Technology A (taken early)
    Biology A
    Chemistry B (sent off for photocopy as 1 mark off an A)
    Computer Science A
    Maths A

I'm going to drop computer science and start and EPQ, not sure what on yet

Work Experience
    Two days with an Orthopedic Consultant
    Two days in theater and associated wards
    One week in Mental Health hospital trust
    Twelve weeks at Dementia Home
    Ten weeks at a special needs school

Volunteering
    Three years running free technology help sessions for retired people at my local library
    Helped a various community events with my church/youth group
    Volunteer with the Wave Project
    Volunteer at children's camp two years running

Other
    Gold DofE
    CCF
    Deputy House Captain
    Form Captain
    School Council
    Choir
    Run Christian Union
    Piano
    Medlink

Potential unis
    Bristol
    Southampton
    Kings College London
    Brighton and Sussex Medical School

Further reading
    I haven't done much yet !

UKCAT
    Got mine in early September so currently studying for it

BMAT
    Bit worried about the physics aspect of this as I haven't done any since gcse

Personal Statement
    Currently in bullet point form as I am focusing on my UKCAT
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DibbyDabby)
    Hello Everyone

GCSEs
    4 A* - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics
    7 A - English Language, English Literature, Biology, German, Graphic Products, Religious Studies and History

AS
    Information Technology A (taken early)
    Biology A
    Chemistry B (sent off for photocopy as 1 mark off an A)
    Computer Science A
    Maths A

I'm going to drop computer science and start and EPQ, not sure what on yet

Work Experience
    Two days with an Orthopedic Consultant
    Two days in theater and associated wards
    One week in Mental Health hospital trust
    Twelve weeks at Dementia Home
    Ten weeks at a special needs school

Volunteering
    Three years running free technology help sessions for retired people at my local library
    Helped a various community events with my church/youth group
    Volunteer with the Wave Project
    Volunteer at children's camp two years running

Other
    Gold DofE
    CCF
    Deputy House Captain
    Form Captain
    School Council
    Choir
    Run Christian Union
    Piano
    Medlink

Potential unis
    Bristol
    Southampton
    Kings College London
    Brighton and Sussex Medical School

Further reading
    I haven't done much yet !

UKCAT
    Got mine in early September so currently studying for it

BMAT
    Bit worried about the physics aspect of this as I haven't done any since gcse

Personal Statement
    Currently in bullet point form as I am focusing on my UKCAT
    Great stats! Well done on the amazing work experience.

Southampton is UKCAT heavy so wait until you get your ukcat!
    Kings: your GCSE grades may not be competitive for kings unless you have a really really high UKCAT.
    Bristol is a personal statement heavy uni and providing you can get all your experiences into your PS you should be fine.
    BSMS only care about the BMAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great stats! Well done on the amazing work experience.

Southampton is UKCAT heavy so wait until you get your ukcat!
    Kings: your GCSE grades may not be competitive for kings unless you have a really really high UKCAT.
    Bristol is a personal statement heavy uni and providing you can get all your experiences into your PS you should be fine.
    BSMS only care about the BMAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you
    I spoke to the medicine admissions person at Kings who said that 4 A*s is the average of accepted applicants .
    As long as my UKCAT goes well I should be alright
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DibbyDabby)
    Thank you
    I spoke to the medicine admissions person at Kings who said that 4 A*s is the average of accepted applicants .
    As long as my UKCAT goes well I should be alright
    Thats great! Just ensure you get a conpetative UKCAT. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Yup, if I asked they would definitely change it, however I really like the A2 spec for my history course, so I actually want to do it. I only really disliked the British module of the specification, which is over and done with, and I can cope with revising it and since I still like maths, I'm considering to do it outside. As you know, my school's maths department, especially for A2 isn't that great

Personally I'm faster for VR. Maybe since I'm a fast reader?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahhh, yeah I get your I loved the content for history and was unsure about dropping it for some time but I just can't do the exams lol. Good luck if you decide to do maths outside of school.

Oh yeah, true, I'm a slow reader since I like to absorb all the information but that won't fly in the UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys! I got AAAAB in my highers, 2150 on my UKCAT and am studying 3 Advanced Highers and a Higher. Do you think this will be enough to get into any Scottish Medical Schools (Bar Glasgow)?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsJustKy)
    Hey Guys! I got AAAAB in my highers, 2150 on my UKCAT and am studying 3 Advanced Highers and a Higher. Do you think this will be enough to get into any Scottish Medical Schools (Bar Glasgow)?

Thanks.
    Great score, well done!

I'm confident you'll be interviewed at Aberdeen and Dundee. I know nothing about St Andrews as I didn't apply there, but I imagine they'll interview you too.

What SJT band did you get?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muz360)
    Great score, well done!

I'm confident you'll be interviewed at Aberdeen and Dundee. I know nothing about St Andrews as I didn't apply there, but I imagine they'll interview you too.

What SJT band did you get?

Hi Thanks for replying!

I got a band 2 Situational Judgement and have done a fair amount of work experience.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsJustKy)
    Hi Thanks for replying!

I got a band 2 Situational Judgement and have done a fair amount of work experience.

Thank you
    Edinburgh will all hinge on your PS. Check out this slightly outdated selectors handbook to gauge your chances: http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/file...book_final.pdf

You'll lose marks for your B and for your band 2 unfortunately. Your UKCAT is great, and providing the average score hasn't swung too much from last year, will probably be on the borderline between octiles 1 and 2.

Nail that PS!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    U did my UKCAT today and got 716 avg and SJ band 1 overall im happy

So now im stuck on where to apply!? I got 4A's at AS (we get our predicted grades in september) and will probably drop maths and continue my 3 linear a levels of biology chem and psychology.

GCSE'S :
    I have 9A*'s and 1A(english lang) at gcse and have done a fair amount of volenteerimg and work experience.

I wanted to apply to cardiff and birmingham but now i have done my ukcat i dont know where else?! Also im worried about my decision to drop maths and do psychology as my third a level even tho all medical schools have told me it doesnt matter what your 3rd alevel is :/

Any help on my potential opitions would be appriciated! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    Hey guys!

So now im stuck on where to apply!? I got 4A's at AS (we get our predicted ogrades in september) and will probably drop maths and continue my 3 linear a levels of biology chem and psychology.

GCSE'S :
    I have 9A*'s and 1A(english lang) at gcse and have done a fair amount of volenteerimg and work experience.

I wanted to apply to cardiff and birmingham but now i have done my ukcat i dont know where else?! Also im worried about my decision to drop maths and do psychology as my third a level even tho all medical schools have told me it doesnt matter what your 3rd alevel is :/

That's amazing you could pretty much apply anywhere with that ukcat score

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillipaneerii)
    That's amazing you could pretty much apply anywhere with that ukcat score
    Perhaps QMUL and Kings maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    Hey guys!

So now im stuck on where to apply!? I got 4A's at AS (we get our predicted grades in september) and will probably drop maths and continue my 3 linear a levels of biology chem and psychology.

GCSE'S :

Nottingham? That's 70% weighted on UKCAT so that might be a good choice for you and I'd say Bristol but I am biased because that's where I wanna go and I think it's brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erinls2)
    Nottingham? That's 70% weighted on UKCAT so that might be a good choice for you and I'd say Bristol but I am biased because that's where I wanna go and I think it's brilliant
    Aw okay thanks guys! I think nottingham is a good choice too as i have family there but i havny looked a bristol?! I might apply Im not sure about kings, i dont know much about it at all!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2017

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.