Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone briefly go over the differences of political parties and pressure groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACTT)
    You guys are way too generous! The examiner awarded me 9/25. Felt i should have been awarded a couple of marks more but im aware its a poor essay.
    tbh I didn't want to be too rude I think 9 is a bit harsh but I'd say 13 max

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACTT)
    You guys are way too generous! The examiner awarded me 9/25. Felt i should have been awarded a couple of marks more but im aware its a poor essay.
    youre lucky you can even retake it again. for yr 12 we cant resit subjects anymore after the 2015 education reform act

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    youre lucky you can even retake it again. for yr 12 we cant resit subjects anymore after the 2015 education reform act
    Blame Michael Gove, terrible politician.

ReputationRep:
    cant we retake old-spec AS levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloelong)
    Can someone briefly go over the differences of political parties and pressure groups?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here you go!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Political Parties vs. Pressure Groups (1).docx (16.3 KB, 69 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACTT)
    Blame Michael Gove, terrible politician.
    couldnt agree more. its because of the international league tables, they think this is a way that will drive up standards....wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)
    cant we retake old-spec AS levels?
    we can yeah

ReputationRep:
    couldnt agree more. its because of the international league tables, they think this is a way that will drive up standards....wrong
    Wait can you explain this reform please...

So AS students like you can't retake during A2? Your stick with the grade? How is that fair? Or can you retake at the end of A2?

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody give me 3 reasons for referendums..:
    I just want to make sure I have the best points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloelong)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Parties seek representation + power through elections
    PG's seek influence
    Parties cover a wide range of issues whereas PG's typically cover sectional issues

Parties are more democratic and are accountable for their actions whilst PG's are not and tend to not have democratically appointed leaders.

PG's have a massive membership size; RSPB has twice as many members of Labour+Tory+Lib Dems combined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Wait can you explain this reform please...

So AS students like you can't retake during A2? Your stick with the grade? How is that fair? Or can you retake at the end of A2?
    NO RETAKES!
    You do all of you AS exams a few weeks before your A2 exams
    Just like how you did at Gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Can somebody give me 3 reasons for referendums..:
    I just want to make sure I have the best points
    Referendums educate + increase democracy + get people involved in politics

It can provide a mandate the government lack

They can address issues politicians are reluctant to take issues on

Referendums can settle controversial issues in a more decisive way than Parliament could alone. (eu 2016 or Northern Ireland '98)

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so- I dunno about anyone else, but I feel like my direct democracy points are soooooo vague-

1. genuine democracy- e.g. referendums.
    2. personal development
    3. legitimate government

Anyone have any more advantages?

I have a feeling this will come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACTT)
    NO RETAKES!
    You do all of you AS exams a few weeks before your A2 exams
    Just like how you did at Gcse
    Are you thinking that these as exams at the moment don't count towards the final grade? I thought the same as my sociology exams this year don't actually matter, but I emailed edexcel a while back cause I thought they were affected by the reform of making all a levels liner again but no this as is still half of the a2 next year and I don't think we can resit but I'm not 100% as it says on some sites they aren't sure either but I learnt about the resit thing in sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRoranth)
    Ok, so- I dunno about anyone else, but I feel like my direct democracy points are soooooo vague-

2. personal development
    3. legitimate government

Legitimacy increases
    Education (less political apathy)
    Good gauge of public opinion
    Public can't be WHIPPED -> means in their interests rather than MPs who vote for the party line

ReputationRep:
    How would you answer this question, 'Have Pressure Groups replaced political parties as the main vehicle for political participation?'

ReputationRep:
    Are you thinking that these as exams at the moment don't count towards the final grade? I thought the same as my sociology exams this year don't actually matter, but I emailed edexcel a while back cause I thought they were affected by the reform of making all a levels liner again but no this as is still half of the a2 next year and I don't think we can resit but I'm not 100% as it says on some sites they aren't sure either but I learnt about the resit thing in sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It varies. This politics is the old syllabus, so it's modular. These will count towards our A2 and we can resit these next year (same for anyone who does maths, R.S etc.). Some subjects are 'modern' and have been linearised, if your subject has had this happen, the AS exam you've sat this summer will NOT count towards your A2, and similarly it means you can't resit your AS exam since it's a stand alone qualification. hope this clears it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRoranth)

2. personal development
    3. legitimate government

You could use:

Educates electorate- e.g. scottish referendum educated 16 year olds.
    Shifts power out of hands of politicians- e.g. some people don't like the fact that most politicians tend to be white, oxbridge educated men who havent ever had another job outside of politics. Thus some would prefer to make the decision themselves than unrepresentative politicians.

ReputationRep:
    Public can't be whipped but can heavily manipulated by media

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.