Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD watch

ReputationRep:
    Someone explain this, my friend did but I didn't get it completely.

If benzene was reacted with CH3CHClCH3 in the presence of AlCl3, identify the organic product that would be formed!

Thanks

(Original post by L'Evil Wolf)
    Someone explain this, my friend did but I didn't get it completely.

If benzene was reacted with CH3CHClCH3 in the presence of AlCl3, identify the organic product that would be formed!

Thanks
    I believe you can think of the AlCl3 reacting with the 2-chloropropane to remove the chlorine atom from 2-chloropropane, forming AlCl4- and (CH3)2CH+, which is an electrophile and reacts with benzene in the regular electrophilic substitution mechanism.

In reality it might be slightly more complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    I believe you can think of the AlCl3 reacting with the 2-chloropropane to remove the chlorine atom from 2-chloropropane, forming AlCl4- and (CH3)2CH+, which is an electrophile and reacts with benzene in the regular electrophilic substitution mechanism.

Thank you sir.

ReputationRep:

do you have any good notes on figuring out what the electrophile is

Thankn you

do you have any good notes on figuring out what the electrophile is

Thankn you
    No, I don't. In general an electrophile is an electron deficient species, that can accept a lone pair of electrons forming a covalent bond.
    Attracted to high electron density.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't. In general an electrophile is an electron deficient species, that can accept a lone pair of electrons forming a covalent bond.
    Attracted to high electron density.
    Oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    For the percentage yield is it in terms of moles or mass that you divide by?

ReputationRep:
    doesn't really matter as works both ways
    But the proper way is using the mass

It's the same but I've always used moles.

Besides some reactions, mass spec and IR, how much of AS are we expected to remember? I'm going to read over my AS notes today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Besides some reactions, mass spec and IR, how much of AS are we expected to remember? I'm going to read over my AS notes today
    I feel like chemistry is only synoptic in the sense of empirical formula, some definitions, all the reaction mechanisms and what you've said tbh. But I'm going over everything too briefly..

ReputationRep:
    For part ii isn't the atom economy 79 percent since there are 2 moles of h20

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  52.1 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    All the best to those on here doing F322 this afternoon!

ReputationRep:
    GOOD LUCK CHAPS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For part ii isn't the atom economy 79 percent since there are 2 moles of h20

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  52.1 KB
    anyone hlep wth this please

Part a?

Write down an overall equation for the reaction they've described

ReputationRep:
    Only 1 mole of H2O is formed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Part a?

Write down an overall equation for the reaction they've described
    (Original post by rory58824)
    Only 1 mole of H2O is formed.
    that explains it, annoyed to have made this error.

COuld I just ask you, if there were 2 moles then if we were calculating the atom economy then we would mulitply the Mr by 2 right?

that explains it, annoyed to have made this error.

COuld I just ask you, if there were 2 moles then if we were calculating the atom economy then we would mulitply the Mr by 2 right?
    Just to check, what's the answer?

And yeah you would

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, hope revision is going well.
    I have a question, I hope someone can help me.

From the Jan 12 F324 paper, in Q2, they ask how we can make 4-chlorophenlyamine from benzene. So I said we can make nitrobenzene, reduce it to get phenyl amine and then just react it with Cl-2. The mark scheme says you can't react it with Cl2, rather you have to do HCL and tin (???), why is this?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.