Summer 2017 Applications

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torres657)
    It seems we can't apply for LAZ unless we are penultimate year
    I am a penultimate year but I believe you can apply if you have intention for masters and must state that in the education section - I remember reading it somewhere in their application guide

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you put future positions on CVs and applications. For example, I start a role with an AM firm when term starts but submitting now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Askaud)
    Can you put future positions on CVs and applications. For example, I start a role with an AM firm when term starts but submitting now?
    Yes. And if you know what you'll be doing you can put that too - just make sure to put the dates for the position.

ReputationRep:
    What are Credit Suisse good at (division wise)? Seems to be quite a difficult question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    What are Credit Suisse good at (division wise)? Seems to be quite a difficult question
    Credit Trading is one of the things I have heard about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    IBD, espesh sponsors + levfin. They're pretty decent at equity derivs and ofc trading swiss currency pairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheParham)
    Credit Trading is one of the things I have heard about...
    ty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    IBD, espesh sponsors + levfin. They're pretty decent at equity derivs and ofc trading swiss currency pairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks prince, will probs apply ibd then

ReputationRep:
    Pointless applying to US positions? (GS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DireB95)
    Does anyone know if you can apply to two positions with JPM?
    Just one.

ReputationRep:
    can you apply to multiple positions at Lazard? As in can I apply for financial advisory now and asset management in October (when it opens)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwith)
    yes unless you got the right papers.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    would be really grateful if you could tell us about best groups in mid tier BBs and below
    Citi/BAML/UBS/CS/etc.

ReputationRep:
    100000000% pointless. You have no access to any on campus recruitment and unless you're literally a GOD at networking, your CV will just fall into the void.

Visa isn't an issue though, there are internship visas available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would say so, the talent pool there is pretty amazing

ReputationRep:
    100000000% pointless. You have no access to any on campus recruitment and unless you're literally a GOD at networking, your CV will just fall into the void.

Visa isn't an issue though, there are internship visas available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does it help if you spend an exchange semester in a target US uni with on campus recruiting? Also any particular reason why all the big firms don't ask for CLs for US positions?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savonarola)
    would be really grateful if you could tell us about best groups in mid tier BBs and below
    Citi/BAML/UBS/CS/etc.
    I only have snippets for IBD/S&T from people who I've spoken to over time, so it is not definitive and only covers a few groups. Truthfully, it shouldn't matter that much. Focus should be more on area of interest than what is 'perceived' as strong.

Citi
    IBD: M&A, Industrials, LevFin
    S&T: All FX products, Rates

BAML
    IBD: Consumer + Retail, Sponsors, M&A, LevFin
    S&T: not sure

UBS
    IBD: FIG, M&A, TMT, ECM
    S&T: FX

Barclay's
    IBD: Power, UK M&A, Nat Res
    S&T: Rates

DB
    IBD: LevFin, Sponsors, Industrials, Aero + Defense
    S&T: Rates, FX

CS
    IBD: UKIB, LevFin + Sponsors, TMT
    S&T: not sure

EDIT: common point made in previous discussions were that the top groups are also where you will not have a life in IBD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dasu95)
    Does it help if you spend an exchange semester in a target US uni with on campus recruiting? Also any particular reason why all the big firms don't ask for CLs for US positions?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, yes it would help.

No idea sorry, but my guess would be to save time. Most recruiters don't read CLs as it is, they merely check for grammar issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I only have snippets for IBD/S&T from people who I've spoken to over time, so it is not definitive and only covers a few groups. Truthfully, it shouldn't matter that much. Focus should be more on area of interest than what is 'perceived' as strong.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Great Post!

Do you guys know which banks tend to start / be done with recruiting the earliest? I know Lazard finished quite early last year.

ReputationRep:
    On application forms, when they ask for UCAS points do you just take the top 3 or all of them?

Also, is corporate finance at an M&A boutique classed as 'banking' or 'financial services'

2nd edit; while I'm at, do we really need to include every qualification? (I did bad in some, cough general studies cough)

Cheers!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.