Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    it means the modulus is sqrt39
    yes that does make sense, although I feel like it should have brackets or one of the vector arrows!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    yes that does make sense, although I feel like it should have brackets or one of the vector arrows!!!
    it annoys me too

ReputationRep:
    it annoys me too
    thanks for your help Zacken as well. next step is to remember the cosine rule, which I feel I genuinely haven't used in 2 years lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    thanks for your help Zacken as well. next step is to remember the cosine rule, which I feel I genuinely haven't used in 2 years lol
    I think that should be on your exam board formula booklet?

ReputationRep:
    it annoys me too
    what a dork

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I think that should be on your exam board formula booklet?
    well I'll be damned, it is there under C2. Maybe that's why I got 77 ums in C2...

ReputationRep:
    Show that  \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \sin r =\frac{1}{2} (\sin n +\cot \frac{1}{2}-\cot \frac{1}{2} \cos n) .

Show also that  \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \sin(r+1)\cos (r+3) =\frac{1}{4}( \cos (5) \csc (1) -\cos (2n+5)\csc (1) -2n\sin (2)) .

:bebored::bored::hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    Show that  \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \sin r =\frac{1}{2} (\sin n +\cot \frac{1}{2}-\cot \frac{1}{2} \cos n) .

Show also that  \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \sin(r+1)\cos (r+3) =\frac{1}{4}( \cos (5) \csc (1) -\cos (2n+5)\csc (1) -2n\sin (2)) .

What have you tried? The first one is very standard, try telescoping.

ReputationRep:
    Is there really any way of preparing for STEP other than doing it 'step by step': This is my strategy:

1. Do all the easier STEP I questions first.

2. Check the solutions to see if you could have done it more efficiently.

3. When you have done enough of the easier questions, you will have picked up enough tricks to take a second look at the questions you originally struggled with.

4. Climb your way up the difficulty level...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)

Id go, complex numbers for first one.
    Consider product pormulae for second. Cleans both up very quickly. Or induct

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    Is there really any way of preparing for STEP other than doing it 'step by step': This is my strategy:

1. Do all the easier STEP I questions first.

2. Check the solutions to see if you could have done it more efficiently.

3. When you have done enough of the easier questions, you will have picked up enough tricks to take a second look at the questions you originally struggled with.

4. Climb your way up the difficulty level...
    Yeah I suppose that's the natural progression.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be resitting Core 1 & Core 2 this year as I ****ed it up last year. Anyone who has experience of resitting maths modules, when is a good time to start practicing/revising for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    I'll be resitting Core 1 & Core 2 this year as I ****ed it up last year. Anyone who has experience of resitting maths modules, when is a good time to start practicing/revising for them?
    Shouldn't be too much of a hassle, if any at all, after doing C3 and C4. Just keep fresh on topics outside these modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Shouldn't be too much of a hassle, if any at all, after doing C3 and C4. Just keep fresh on topics outside these modules.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I need help on a C3 domain and range questions .... again.
    Ive been over it twice and thought i understood but then got confused when i got this question wrong.

In simple terms is the domain the x value and the range the y value you get out of the function?

f(x) = (2x +5) / (x - 3)
    x E R, x is not equal to 3

for the first part you are told to find the range. I got it as

0< f(x)<= 13 but it should be f(x) E R, f(x) is not equal to 2.

Where have i gone wrong?? (this isnt related to the question but how is R different to x E R)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    I need help on a C3 domain and range questions .... again.
    Ive been over it twice and thought i understood but then got confused when i got this question wrong.

In simple terms is the domain the x value and the range the y value you get out of the function?

f(x) = (2x +5) / (x - 3)
    x E R, x is not equal to 3

for the first part you are told to find the range. I got it as

0< f(x)<= 13 but it should be f(x) E R, f(x) is not equal to 2.

Where have i gone wrong?? (this isnt related to the question but how is R different to x E R)
    Well, how did you work out the range?

If you say \frac{2x+5}{x-3} =
    \frac{2x - 6 + 11}{x-3}...

I also don't understand what you mean by R being different to 'x is an element of R', they mean different things but chances are in your context R on its own doesn't make sense.

(Original post by DarkEnergy)
    C2 requires very little practice.

Just be aware of the topics that aren't in C3 (and maybe C4) and the usual rules of not cancelling solutions, checking range of solutions etc and then work through the textbook close to exam time, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Well, how did you work out the range?

If you say \frac{2x+5}{x-3} =
    \frac{2x - 6 + 11}{x-3}...

C2 requires very little practice.

Just be aware of the topics that aren't in C3 (and maybe C4) and the usual rules of not cancelling solutions, checking range of solutions etc and then work through the textbook close to exam time, you should be fine.
    im not sure why you put -6 +11

To find the range i subbed in x=3 to get 0 so f(x) must be bigger than 0 because x is not equal to 3. The i subbed in x=4 (that would give 1 as the denominator - largest value of f(x)) = 13

?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    im not sure why you put -6 +11

To find the range i subbed in x=3 to get 0 so f(x) must be bigger than 0 because x is not equal to 3. The i subbed in x=4 (that would give 1 as the denominator - largest value of f(x)) = 13

?
    Sometimes that method works (for an increasing/decreasing function) but this isn't one of them. As you can see from sketching a graph on it.

It's a way to manipulate the fraction so that you end up with (A - B/(x+c)) which is much easier to find the range of.

Notice that if you add 11 then take away 6 next to the x, then you can divide the three terms by the denominator to give a constant (A) as well as B and C.

If you can't see how adding the 11 and taking away 6 works, I can explain it in more detail when I get a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Sometimes that method works (for an increasing/decreasing function) but this isn't one of them. As you can see from sketching a graph on it.

It's a way to manipulate the fraction so that you end up with (A - B/(x+c)) which is much easier to find the range of.

Notice that if you add 11 then take away 6 next to the x, then you can divide the three terms by the denominator to give a constant (A) as well as B and C.
    Have i done it wrong - i did 2x+11-6 / (x-3)
    2(x-3)+11 / (x-3)
    x-3 cancels out and you get 13??

I understand it would be a lot easier to draw out the graph but i dont have a graphing calculator and always seem to draw it wrong

What method would you use for a function that isnt a fraction?

ReputationRep:
    Another (different) question

If y = 1 + sinx is stretched in the x-direction, scale factor 1/2
    why is it y = 1 + 2sinx
    instead of
    y = 1 + sin2x

??

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.