The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissChameleon)
    Hi,

Nice to meet you! I just starting rereading Jekyll and Hyde. I also read it at the start of year 10, somehow my teacher felt we'd remember everything.

I understand the maths struggle. Tomorrow, I have a maths test on everything we've learnt. Do you have a mathswatch login? It saved my life last year. Bitesize can be useful also and I recommend getting a revision guide - I have the CGP 9-1 revision guide.

I don't think I'm qualified to help anyone with quadratic sequences since I've already forgotten it but here's the bitesize link for quadratic sequences: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...quadrev1.shtml

Hope this helps
    I've never heard of mathswatch before. I'll go check it out now! My old maths teacher (who was great; I was able to move up a set at the end of last year) said Corbett Maths was really good. I got some practise papers and the like from there, and loads of other people in my class said it was great.
    How did your maths test go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skiing Turtles)
    Thank you so much!
    If you had a negative x coefficient, would you have to change all the negative signs to positive signs? I'd work it would with a pen and paper, but I don't have any on me at the moment.
    You complete the square normally and you'll see there will be a negative sign in front of the brackets. You have the make the whole equation be as high as possible (that's why it's called max turning point) You still do the same thing though (make whats inside the brackets 0).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of mathswatch before. I'll go check it out now! My old maths teacher (who was great; I was able to move up a set at the end of last year) said Corbett Maths was really good. I got some practise papers and the like from there, and loads of other people in my class said it was great.
    How did your maths test go?
    Corbett Maths? I'll check it out, thanks for the advice.

My maths test was pretty terrible. It was nothing like the past papers! Or even specimen papers! Nothing could have prepared me for that. I doubt I even got 50% correct and we have our third paper on Wednesday.

How about you? Any maths tests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissChameleon)
    Corbett Maths? I'll check it out, thanks for the advice.

My maths test was pretty terrible. It was nothing like the past papers! Or even specimen papers! Nothing could have prepared me for that. I doubt I even got 50% correct and we have our third paper on Wednesday.

How about you? Any maths tests?
    Maths tests always go terribly. The thing you've got to remember is that it went terribly for everyone else as well!
    No maths tests yet, but I've had one in chemistry, one in physics. I have a biology one on Tuesday and a Spanish one next Wednesday. My French teacher has warned us that's we'll be getting a controlled assessment task within the next week or so. We're finishing our geography course work, so we have a high-control assessment coming up soon.
    Such fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    You complete the square normally and you'll see there will be a negative sign in front of the brackets. You have the make the whole equation be as high as possible (that's why it's called max turning point) You still do the same thing though (make whats inside the brackets 0).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely that would mean x would have to be infinite, then? Can you get x as being infinite?

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Has anyone done the aqa pixl paper for english lit?

ReputationRep:
    Surely that would mean x would have to be infinite, then? Can you get x as being infinite?
     y = -x^2 + 4x + 1 ,
     y = - (x - 2)^2 + 5 ,
    because there's a minus in front of the  (x-2)^2 , making x infinity will make y be negative infinity. You want the bit inside the brackets to be as close to 0 as possible, since you're going to end up squaring it, but then also making it negative.

ReputationRep:
     y = -x^2 + 4x + 1 ,
     y = - (x - 2)^2 + 5 ,
    because there's a minus in front of the  (x-2)^2 , making x infinity will make y be negative infinity. You want the bit inside the brackets to be as close to 0 as possible, since you're going to end up squaring it, but then also making it negative.
    So x would be +2?

ReputationRep:
    So x would be +2?
    Yeah, the maximum turning point is  (2, 5)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the maximum turning point is  (2, 5)
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm aaron1050
    I'm an avid gamer, maybe too much lol, and i'm interested in chemistry.

At GCSE, I'm doing:
    Maths - OCR
    English Language - AQA
    English Literature - AQA
    Biology - AQA
    Chemistry - AQA
    Physics - AQA
    German - AQA
    History - OCR
    ICT - Edexcel/Pearson
    RE short course - OCR

I think i'll be ready for the new maths spec, but i'm worrying about English!
    Favourite subjects are Chemistry and history.

For A Levels, I'm thinking maybe some of: Chemistry, History, Psychology, Sociology, Maths, Physics but i'm still not sure.

University I would like to study a branch of Chemistry, possibly Organic.

Dream career is to become a chemist in industry or to become a teacher at secondary school-level.

ReputationRep:
    I lovvee gaming!! I like to play Cod and Transformice ( which is gonna have to stop during this year ) I guess I'm kinda ready, my dad is already getting me a maths tutor so I can boost my predicted C into at least a B

My subjects are:
    Maths *Edexcel*
    English Lit *AQA*
    English Lang *AQA*
    Religious Studies *Edexcel*
    Food Technology *AQA*
    Geography *Edexcel b*
    Art *AQA*
    Biology, Chemistry, Physics and ISA (coursework 25%) *AQA*

I feel as if I'm gonna do pretty well, I'm doing homework and I'm starting to revise- however I feel as if by the time it hits May 2017 I'm gonna forget all my revision due to Anxiety and pressure . I pray that doesn't happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haven't posted in ages.
    How is everyone's year going?
    Have you done any mocks yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseeb798)
    Haven't posted in ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We've got a mock week coming up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseeb798)
    Haven't posted in ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have had a topic mock, but no full-on mocks yet. They are in January I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Is anyone doing ocr b triple science?
    If yes have you done the osmosis bio controlled assessment??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl7)
    Hey
    Yeah, we did it at the end of year 10. Waiting for results. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl7)
    Hey
    heyy we did it for mocks at end of yr 10...achieved an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriciaanne)
    We've got a mock week coming up
    good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    We have had a topic mock, but no full-on mocks yet. They are in January I believe.
    I have 3 sets of mocks, which I believe is really good (in October, January and Easter). My mocks start tomorrow with paper 1 English language which I should now be able to smash. Aiming for at least 60-70. Then I have got English language paper 2 on Thursday. All the science's next week along with PE and English literature paper 2.
    Good luck with your mocks!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.