UEA Accommodation Watch

This discussion is closed.
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by readjono)
It depends what knobs have access to the fire alarm really! It's not too great at the start of the year but the novelty does wear off.
Oh great :rolleyes: Although if a fire alarm goes off ANYWHERE on campus is everything evacuated? And if it goes off on campus is the village evacuated?
UEAAccommodation
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Only individual buildings are evacuated if that alarm goes off.

Oh, and by the way if we find out who it is that set the alarm off maliciously they will (and have...) get fined and evicted. The best way to to make sure it doesn't happen is to always make sure you know the people you invite in and don't let people tailgate you into the buildings, especially at night.

Your accommodation licence that you sign will include Christmas and Easter. We don't ask you to move your stuff out in these periods. The room is yours from the day you arrive to the end of your academic year - which as you say changes depending on your course.
mark_otbc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
Oh great :rolleyes: Although if a fire alarm goes off ANYWHERE on campus is everything evacuated? And if it goes off on campus is the village evacuated?
Nope - if a fire alarm goes off in Colman House, the whole of Colman House is evacuated. Same goes for Britten, etc etc.

Basically, they only evacuate the housing block (Colman,Britten,Paston,Constable ) that the alarm has been set off in.

Make sure you bring a dressing gown or something you can put on while half asleep at 4am in the snow that will keep you warm! Not good memories from first year!

I can't say about the village, but I'd guess it won't be evacuated if the fire alarms on campus go off!
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by UEAAccommodation)
Only individual buildings are evacuated if that alarm goes off.

Oh, and by the way if we find out who it is that set the alarm off maliciously they will (and have...) get fined and evicted. The best way to to make sure it doesn't happen is to always make sure you know the people you invite in and don't let people tailgate you into the buildings, especially at night.

Your accommodation licence that you sign will include Christmas and Easter. We don't ask you to move your stuff out in these periods. The room is yours from the day you arrive to the end of your academic year - which as you say changes depending on your course.
Ahh okay, thanks

And oh I was aware of the license including holidays, but wasn't sure if when the medicine year was specified as 42 weeks this was 42 weeks of work or 42 weeks including holidays.
readjono
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just the building where the alarm has been set off.
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just the building where the alarm has been set off.
Is that the same with the village? So will only larch/beech/yew etc be evacuated rather than the whole building? Cause aren't the village buildings closer together?
moomin_love
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I really want my accommodation offer Does the longer you wait to hear about your accommodation offer make it less likely that you'll get your first choice? I reeaaalllyy want ensuite on campus!
UEAAccommodation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by moomin_love)
I really want my accommodation offer Does the longer you wait to hear about your accommodation offer make it less likely that you'll get your first choice? I reeaaalllyy want ensuite on campus!
No, not in the slightest. We've only allocated about 500-600 of the 3000 odd Undergrad rooms yet. Don't panic, you will get your offer soon enough.
readjono
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is that the same with the village? So will only larch/beech/yew etc be evacuated rather than the whole building? Cause aren't the village buildings closer together?
I'm not sure about the village... anyone?
UEAAccommodation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure about the village... anyone?
They go off in groups. I think there are four groups of alarms spread out amongst the different buildings there. The village is not my area though. I look after some of the other buildings myself.
coolh5000
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The buildings all seemed to go off separately, from what I can remember. I know the Courtyards seemed to set theirs off accidentally quite often and we never had to go out when they set theirs off. Also, when they did the test (every Tuesday morning around elevenish - you don't have to go outside but it's still loud! And made me jump every single time) you could hear it going off in the different buildings in the village at different times so they obviously weren't all connected.

We were lucky. I was in Yew and didn't have a single accidental fire alarm all year. In fact the only one we ever had was the university practice one at 8am during the second Week (I was coming down with fresher's flu and feeling very ill that day so it was not fun!)

We had a blackout though, which was fun...especially when they turned on the campus power about nearly an hour before they remembered that the village existed and was still dark!
AT-7792
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Yafula)
Suffolk Terrace, Block A. First Choice
And me, might be irrelevant but which side is Block A?
AT-7792
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tigermilk98)
Suffolk Terrace Block A! I don't have a flat or room number yet... I feel like it's actually set in stone now. Finally! I can start buying typically studenty arty farty posters!
Block A suffolk too , do we get a room number when we arrive then?
digchick21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Woop woop Norfolk Terrace block A, first choice, i is well happy!
Lit2010
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I still don't know which one I have
UEAAccommodation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AT-7792)
And me, might be irrelevant but which side is Block A?
I'm not sure what you mean by which side? If you are asking if the room faces the lake, then yes, they all do.
UEAAccommodation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lit2010)
I still don't know which one I have
Don't worry, we couldn't do many allocations yesterday. We should be able to do a large batch again today. Hopefully you will be in that one!
UEAAccommodation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AT-7792)
Block A suffolk too , do we get a room number when we arrive then?
Yes, that's right. You will find out when you get here and sign your accommodation licence.
UEAAccommodation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by coolh5000)
The buildings all seemed to go off separately, from what I can remember. I know the Courtyards seemed to set theirs off accidentally quite often and we never had to go out when they set theirs off. Also, when they did the test (every Tuesday morning around elevenish - you don't have to go outside but it's still loud! And made me jump every single time) you could hear it going off in the different buildings in the village at different times so they obviously weren't all connected.

We were lucky. I was in Yew and didn't have a single accidental fire alarm all year. In fact the only one we ever had was the university practice one at 8am during the second Week (I was coming down with fresher's flu and feeling very ill that day so it was not fun!)

We had a blackout though, which was fun...especially when they turned on the campus power about nearly an hour before they remembered that the village existed and was still dark!
It may not be fun to have to get up at 8am for the test but think yourself lucky. We have to get up at around half six in order to be in to do them!
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by coolh5000)

Haha nice to know the village is always in their thoughts :p: :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.45%
No (459)
60.47%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21.08%

Watched Threads