Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Fookin' love biochemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    That's my understanding.

Each time an electron moves to a carrier it loses some of its energy and this is used to shunt H+ across the membrane to create a gradient. Any more detail and you start getting into mathsy stuff that looks remarkably like thermodynamics.

As the H+ flood down their concentration gradient through the ATP synthase, they rotate one of its subunits (I forget which one) and this mechanical energy drives phosphorylation of ADP into ATP.
    I see. I kind of visualised the latter one. I could easily imagine in my head a sort of "windmill" style. The electron one not so much though. Thanks for the help though. I sort of gave up on it tonight. Tomorrow I tackle gluconeogenesis/ketogenesis and lipid/protein metabolism! Unfortunately the website I was using (based on an A level course I think, called sparknotes) only covers glucose metabolism .

ReputationRep:
    Ok i have an issue I need to PM someone about an issue Im currently having with ill health and attendance. Would appreciate anyones input/perspective

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    Ok i have an issue I need to PM someone about an issue Im currently having with ill health and attendance. Would appreciate anyones input/perspective
    Feel free to PM if you like

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys ever think about what you would have done if you hadn't done medicine or what you would do if you got thrown out tomorrow etc?

If I hadn't gone and done medicine, I would have done a short business course and then onto floristry school, followed by opening up my own floristry business which I would hope to extend to a chain of stores with contracts in weddings, funerals, businesses, etc.

I hope I can do something on a smaller scale at some point in my life.. maybe when I have babies or retire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Do you guys ever think about what you would have done if you hadn't done medicine or what you would do if you got thrown out tomorrow etc?

If I hadn't gone and done medicine, I would have done a short business course and then onto floristry school, followed by opening up my own floristry business which I would hope to extend to a chain of stores with contracts in weddings, funerals, businesses, etc.

I hope I can do something on a smaller scale at some point in my life.. maybe when I have babies or retire
    Genuinely not sure. Interesting question though.
    If I'd never discovered my interest in medicine I would probably have done something like geography at university and then applied to join the police.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, depends on time line here. Before I ever considered doing medicine, I probably would be some sort of mechanic, probably for a race team if I was ambitious enough. And I'd be a part time musician (guitar). Obviously, if the music gig took off I'd being doing that full-time but I'm realistic enough to know it probably would never happen.

If I were to have to do something else right now, I'd probably be a photographer as that is probably my only other serious skill.

ReputationRep:
    I'd try to do something in my computers, open a shop or something. Possibly pursue a degree in comp.sci and then look for work as a consultant.

In other news, anyone seen the applicant with "current IB student, future surgeon"? If I was a treckie I'd be inclined to do a certain signature move coined by a bald captain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I have lots of experience with things like this you can pm me if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)

Frequently... If I hadn't done medicine I'd have stuck with my original uni choices and done a degree in genetics, so I'd probably be doing some kind of lab research by now, probably a PhD. If I got kicked out now I think I'd continue along the lines of my iBSc and do a Masters/PhD in Medical Engineering and then go work for a medical implant company. Bizarre how both plans involve a lot of further education - I think putting off having to be a proper grown up and having to work for a living is definitely part of any career plan I might have!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)

I'm fairly sure I'd be doing some sort of modern languages degree, probably in French, but I can't really honestly imagine myself doing that for the rest of my life. I was always intrinsically better at languages than science, but I mainly enjoy learning languages for the fun of actually speaking and writing in them rather than analysis of literature, film, culture etc.

I was always torn between medicine and languages, but made my decision based on the fact that medicine can't be done "on the side" whereas languages can. Right now I could learn a language for my own enjoyment if I wanted to, but that can't be done with medicine. Plus I never had any idea what I'd actually do and really enjoy with a degree in languages.

ReputationRep:
    At the beginning of Year 12 I was still weighing up medicine and fast-track Civil Service - so I could well have gone down that route!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Ooh, depends on time line here. Before I ever considered doing medicine, I probably would be some sort of mechanic, probably for a race team if I was ambitious enough. And I'd be a part time musician (guitar). Obviously, if the music gig took off I'd being doing that full-time but I'm realistic enough to know it probably would never happen.

If I were to have to do something else right now, I'd probably be a photographer as that is probably my only other serious skill.
    Same, on all accounts... 'cept swap guitar for bass - and we all know you can get further on the same amount of skill as a bass player
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    FunMed is finally over! :woohoo:

And spotter results are out already!

Not a gunner since a lot of people have beaten me on it but still pleased with my mark

Really not looking forward to the written paper mark whenever that gets out :erm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    FunMed is finally over! :woohoo:

And spotter results are out already!

Not a gunner since a lot of people have beaten me on it but still pleased with my mark

Really not looking forward to the written paper mark whenever that gets out :erm:
    Welcome back! :hi:

Whats FunMed? o.o
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Welcome back! :hi:

Whats FunMed? o.o
    Gone for so long :lol:

Fundamentals of Medicine.

All the basic science crap befor eyou can do real medicine.

But it's over!!

It's also my 'birthday weekend' as it's my birthday on monday so having some fun

Need to stay relatively sober for freshers sprints tomorrow though so BLBC 1sts can thrash SGUL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)

Physics degree without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Probabbly a degree.

then now if I was to drop out I think I would like to try earning a living sailing. Would need a few more qualifications though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)

Would have stayed on the 'new' career path I was on - a scientist - specifically parasitology. Would have applied for a PhD as just finishing my MRes (yes, as well as 1st year medicine).

ReputationRep:
    Just home from an evening in A+E, wow...

Got to do so much that I haven't had a chance to do so far on wards, it was just really good.

Almost **** myself when they took me into resus, told me to put some gloves on and get in the cubicle to wait for the asystolic cardiac arrest patient to arrive! But the paramedics had got her back, she wasn't breathing for herself though and was very old so there's no happy ending there

I'm absolutely buzzing off it but I feel terrible for enjoying such things

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.