Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What a prick Phil Thompson is. The guy launched a scathing attack on Arsenal. And these people are saying we have no class. That interview with SkySports was pretty low.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool's inferiority complex.

Everton and Spurs are both better than Pool and when they lose Suarez they'll be on Swansea's level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    We should give them the 45 - 50 mill then, all the players we've sold / got off the wage bill easily tallies way over 10 million so we'd still have 30 million to strengthen more
    But will that suffice? I think we have to have a plan B - another seriously good striker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    What a prick Phil Thompson is. The guy launched a scathing attack on Arsenal. And these people are saying we have no class. That interview with SkySports was pretty low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He was thinking with his heart rather than his head, pretty embarrassing interview imo. He claimed Suarez is better than Cavani, its obvious the man has never watched a game of Serie A in his life, he watched the Con Feds cup and now he's a sudden expert on Cavani.

It really annoys me when people use Cavani/Bale inflated transfer fees as some sort of precedent to establish the cost of Suarez. £40m is a fair price but I guess it will do to £45m for Arsenal to get him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    He was thinking with his heart rather than his head, pretty embarrassing interview imo. He claimed Suarez is better than Cavani, its obvious the man has never watched a game of Serie A in his life, he watched the Con Feds cup and now he's a sudden expert on Cavani.

It really annoys me when people use Cavani/Bale inflated transfer fees as some sort of precedent to establish the cost of Suarez. £40m is a fair price but I guess it will do to £45m for Arsenal to get him.
    Do you really think Liverpool care what a "fair" price is to you guys? They are gonna milk as much as they can out of you lot as well as drag their feet about selling him to you guys.

What a surprise though Luis is the liar :laugh:

Guy is just a massive headache.

ReputationRep:
    If only players could be cheap in the north like everything else there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Do you really think Liverpool care what a "fair" price is to you guys? They are gonna milk as much as they can out of you lot as well as drag their feet about selling him to you guys.

What a surprise though Luis is the liar :laugh:

Guy is just a massive headache.
    Your're right, Liverpool can sell at whatever price they like but I sure Suarez will still go to Premier league arbitration despite this news that LFC are in the right. When he fails he will hand in a transfer request then Arsenal will increase their bid. Time is running out for Liverpool to invest the potential Suarez money from what I hear they need Costa, Eriksen, Alderweireld/Papadopoulos.

ReputationRep:
    Your're right, Liverpool can sell at whatever price they like but I sure Suarez will still go to Premier league arbitration despite this news that LFC are in the right. When he fails he will hand in a transfer request then Arsenal will increase their bid. Time is running out for Liverpool to invest the potential Suarez money from what I hear they need Costa, Eriksen, Alderweireld/Papadopoulos.
    Transfer request wont mean much when Suarez has already made his desire to leave very clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 2m
    Looks like the PFA believe Liverpool's interpretation of Suarez's clause is correct. Interesting.

Well there's that then.
    Did we really need to even have proof for this. Deep down everyone knew that liverpool were in the right here considering we have such a scumbag like him crying wolf since he did a similar thing to FC groningen. No suarez for arsenal then.

So bets on next target?

Transfer request wont mean much when Suarez has already made his desire to leave very clear.
    What's the point, he's going to get a loyalty bonus if he doesn't hand in a transfer request.
    A transfer request is clearly not going to work since he doesn't have a release clause :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    LFC owe Suarez £5m in loyalty bonuses and signing on fees. If a player hands in a transfer request he forfeits those payments hence LFC get £50m from selling Suarez

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Did we really need to even have proof for this. Deep down everyone knew that liverpool were in the right here considering we have such a scumbag like him crying wolf since he did a similar thing to FC groningen. No suarez for arsenal then.

So bets on next target?

What's the point, he's going to get a loyalty bonus if he doesn't hand in a transfer request.
    A transfer request is clearly not going to work since he doesn't have a release clause :rofl:
    Some 17 year old we have never heard of from Morocco or somewhere.

LFC owe Suarez £5m in loyalty bonuses and signing on fees. If a player hands in a transfer request he forfeits those payments hence LFC get £50m from selling Suarez
    We have no idea how big his loyalty bonuses are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Liverpool's inferiority complex.

Everton and Spurs are both better than Pool and when they lose Suarez they'll be on Swansea's level.
    As much as i would love Swansea to be anywhere near Liverpool's level we are not. Everton are inbetween Swansea and Liverpool with Suarez and a bit closer to Liverpool without, but still behind. Anyone who says otherwise would love to hear some good reasoning. And Spurs have currently a better squad than Arsenal as they have strengthened and Arsenal not (so far). Liverpool have also strengthened and i would put them pretty close to Spurs before.

Spurs have a team good enough to get ~75 points, Arsenal currently ~70. A top quality striker, DM is needed or Arsenal won't be edging CL football on the last day of the season for 3 years running. Spurs getting Paulinho, Sandro back from a season injury, Chadli (they needed a winger) and Soldado is a team vastly improved and something to worry about as a team without a good striker, a new manager last season got 73 points. Impressive.

I also really don't see Suarez leaving, especially now with the recent update. What other top strikers are there that are available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    he did raise some good points tho... how did arsenal find out about any sort of release clause for suarez?? because when arsenal bid they thought they activated the clause..but there is no clause just some verbal agreement between luis and rodgers.. so in that sense AW and arsenal made themselves look stupid especially adding the £1. that is abit unclassy.

Liverpool hold all the cards, but if a foreign club comes in for £43-£50 mil he is off. Suarez has burnt some bridges but its a world cup year and could easily lose out to to Cavani and Forlan if he gets put in the reserves or refuses to play. And not to mention the way he has handled the whole situation disgusting imo. less than 6 months ago quoted saying Liverpool is his dream club. saying he wants to leave because of the british media constant victimization of him and then reaching out to them to get what he wants.. Suarez is pure scum

ReputationRep:
    We have no idea how big his loyalty bonuses are.
    Its obviously its in excess of £5m especially considering he still has 3 years left to go on his contract and he's LFC's best player.

ReputationRep:
    Its obviously its in excess of £5m especially considering he still has 3 years left to go on his contract and he's LFC's best player.
    I'd be surprised if it was that high, as Liverpool probably knew there was a good chance of him living during his contract. But the reality is we have no idea how big these bonuses are so its not obviously in excess of £5m at all. I still don't think it will lower Liverpools asking price for him, it just means they get to keep a little more of it should they choose to sell.

ReputationRep:
    If we don't sign a wc striker this transfer window, koscielny will leave next year I am sure of it

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that. But what does that have to do with arsenal potentially getting a transfer for suarez. If he hands in a transfer request that just means when madrid come calling e.g. they get more money, either way the ball is in liverpools court now. So it's less than 1% likely for him to leave...

Also at this rate if you don't a signing for either DM or striker I see you coming 5th. I thought you'd get fourth last season but this season i pushing it if you don't get a striker/DM or a quality signing to improve the team. Pretty scary how spurs did so well last season. If they get an LB and another AM/winger we could see them challenge for 3rd place in fact.

ReputationRep:
    People saying Arsenal won't finish in the top four this year?

What is it now? 8 seasons running with failed predicitions.

As I said last pre season, even a dead clock is right 2 times a day.

I really don't understand why people fail to realise that Wenger doesn't need to spend huge amounts to get us into top 4.

Wenger's scouting and training methods are enough for us to finish in the top 4.

Last season was different because we were rebuilding due to the departures of Song and RvP.

There have been no departures this season, so I expect us to finish in the top four comfortably, with or without signings.

No other manager can do what Wenger is doing.

With WIlshere and Cazorla in the middle of the park, we'll create enough chances in most matches to guarantee champions league football.

ReputationRep:

What is it now? 8 seasons running with failed predicitions.

As I said last pre season, even a dead clock is right 2 times a day.

I really don't understand why people fail to realise that Wenger doesn't need to spend huge amounts to get us into top 4.

Wenger's scouting and training methods are enough for us to finish in the top 4.

Last season was different because we were rebuilding due to the departures of Song and RvP.

There have been no departures this season, so I expect us to finish in the top four comfortably, with or without signings.

No other manager can do what Wenger is doing.

With WIlshere and Cazorla in the middle of the park, we'll create enough chances in most matches to guarantee champions league football.
    People said the same about Wigan. If Spurs keep Bale then I'd bet on them coming 4th over you. AVB will be more comfortable as its his second season, they have strengthened well, will have Sandro and Kaboul back, and they only finished 1 point behind you last season.

ReputationRep:

x
    I for one said that spurs won't get into the top 4 last season because arsenal clearly had a stronger team regardless of the key departures. Losing VDV and Modric was worse than losing RVP and song as spurs had no attacking depth outside the first 11 and dempsey/sigurdsson clearly weren't cutting it for majority of the season.

It'll be different this year if the squad stays like this. If wenger gets a signing though I would say you'd get top 4 though.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.