Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Haha, so what was the point of Cameron going to try and negotiate for us staying in the EU before this referendum... Plus, the uncertainty does no good to the economy. If for the next two years businesses don't know whether to plan to stay or go, then it'd be a lot worse when the decision is made, and we'd be worse off compared to the fact now that businesses can plan much better for leaving.

Are we even allowed to do that right at the end of the negotiations, and why waste millions more pounds on more campaigning. Waste of time.
    you cant hop onto this bandwagon now after voting FOR the uncertainty of leaving.

If this were to happen companies would be like "hey theres a chance we could not have the uncertainty of leaving, that decreases our risk margins for investment".

Right now its like "we cannot do anything for years until we get the trade deal, which will definately be inferior to what we have now".

As someone who want at some point to set up some kind of business, either small or self employed, later in life, I know which one i prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Easier just to set the exit date after the next election. That way if people want a different deal, they can just vote for said party.
    IF a non insane party campaigns on the ticket of promising to reverse the referendum (is that even legal?) they defo have my vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    IF a non insane party campaigns on the ticket of promising to reverse the referendum (is that even legal?) they defo have my vote.
    Tis indeed legal. It's basically what the SNP did (vote for us and we'll ignore the result until you give the right one).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Easier just to set the exit date after the next election. That way if people want a different deal, they can just vote for said party.
    Or have a GE now...

ReputationRep:
    I also dont understand the leave's democratic argument...They fought the campaign of the premise of lower immigration, which they've now taken back, on increased nhs spending, which they've now taken back, on the basis that Turkey are set to join, which simply isn't true, on the basis that immigration is harmful economically, which is isn't.

If democracy is voting for polices you want to be enacted, this is an extremely undemocratic result.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    If the Lib Dems count as non insane I suspect they'll be pushing for us to rejoin the EU/reverse the result as the most Pro-EU major party

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ampaign-tories

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ign-foreigners

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...redum-campaign

Toynbee really is something else.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I also dont understand the leave's democratic argument...They fought the campaign of the premise of lower immigration, which they've now taken back, on increased nhs spending, which they've now taken back, on the basis that Turkey are set to join, which simply isn't true, on the basis that immigration is harmful economically, which is isn't.

If democracy is voting for polices you want to be enacted, this is an extremely undemocratic result.
    Can you not just shut up and accept we're out

Remain campaigned on the end of the world, it hasn't; they campaigned on the pound being worth less than the dollar, it isn't; they campaigned on the EU ignoring us, they aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would certainly like to see the referendum result reversed in Paris this afternoon, with Wales remaining in Europe and Northern Ireland getting to leave.

Am watching Switzerland-Poland now and waiting for the first Brexit reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    If the Lib Dems count as non insane I suspect they'll be pushing for us to rejoin the EU/reverse the result as the most Pro-EU major party

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ill vote for them, and if the tories elect a remain leader, they they can come together and do this ****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Or have a GE now...

Nige is the one who says the NHS won't get more money, not vote leave. Lower immigration probably will be the result, just not zero immigration (you can't really say much about this until the negotiations end). The fact that Turkey may join at all is reason to leave, there's no guarantee we'd have a referendum before they infested our continent, That's true.

Referenda are awful but a lot of people pushed for a referendum anyway.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Completely agree. People voted out based on lies... The leave campaign is actually where my anti-lying bill came from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I suspect that the SNP and maybe the greens woudl campaign under the same ticket.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Completely agree. People voted out based on lies... The leave campaign is actually where my anti-lying bill came from.

I suspect that the SNP and maybe the greens woudl campaign under the same ticket.
    I suspect the SNP will have no need too as they'll be off whilst the Greens will only be able to appeal to the left, whilst the Lib Dems will be able to appeal to both the left and right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Can you not just shut up and accept we're out

Remain campaigned on the end of the world, it hasn't; they campaigned on the pound being worth less than the dollar, it isn't; they campaigned on the EU ignoring us, they aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Remain campaigned on huge consequences resulting in leaving, and already we're presiding on the Break up of Great Britain. So they get that one. They campaigned on economic projections with regards to that, not policy, and the pound very nearly sunk to the dollar anyway, so that's not a point against them, i'venever heard of the one where they campaigned that if we voted out the EU wouldn't let us.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Remain campaigned on huge consequences resulting in leaving, and already we're presiding on the Break up of Great Britain. So they get that one. They campaigned on economic projections with regards to that, not policy, and the pound very nearly sunk to the dollar anyway, so that's not a point against them, i'venever heard of the one where they campaigned that if we voted out the EU wouldn't let us.
    You mean threat of the break up of the UK, not the same thing.

1466859112304.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I would certainly like to see the referendum result reversed in Paris this afternoon, with Wales remaining in Europe and Northern Ireland getting to leave.

Am watching Switzerland-Poland now and waiting for the first Brexit reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Jonathan Pearce and Clive Tyldesley will no doubt try to outdo each other in the "who can be the biggest **** of a commentator" contest with endless jokes. God help us all.

Hopefully Northern Ireland will win.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I suspect the SNP will have no need too as they'll be off whilst the Greens will only be able to appeal to the left, whilst the Lib Dems will be able to appeal to both the left and right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do hope that the SNP get their referendum. I'll probably go live in an independent Scotland.
    The London independence petition has almost 150,000 signatures, I'd like to see a petition on London leaving the UK now too.
    I can't see the lib dems winning many places even with that campaign ticket unfortunately. Unless they create a sorta 'bremain coalition' and don't compete with other bremain parties and hope to split the vote...

ReputationRep:
    You've gone batty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You mean threat of the break up of the UK, not the same thing.

1466859112304.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Scotland and NI have an undeniable mandate to have a referendum though. The only thing that is keeping the country together right now is the brute force of parliament using oppressive hard power. Scotland are basically kurds right now.

ReputationRep:
    You've gone batty.
    well life as we know it is basically over my brain isn't on careful mode atm

DOn't even care about this market panic, that's not remotely the problem anyway.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.