Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewy17)
    I've been following this thread every now and then since the beginning of February. So hey all and here are my details,

Course: Economics and Economic History
    Date of UCAS sent: 28th October
    Date of Offer/Rejection: -
    Offer Details: -

Just to tell you, 4 of my friends from school have been rejected for a mix of economics courses so far. These were top candidates as well so looks like those still in the running have a good chance!
    I bet 4 of your friends didn't provide a 50:50 balance between the two courses in their personal statement.

LSE are very strict on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beef_Eater)
    I bet 4 of your friends didn't provide a 50:50 balance between the two courses in their personal statement.

LSE are very strict on this.
    They didn't apply for Economics and Economic History. They applied for Economics and Statistics, etc. So yea, feeling good about the application. So should all of you who havent been rejected yet!

ReputationRep:
    I've been following this thread every now and then since the beginning of February. So hey all and here are my details,

Course: Economics and Economic History
    Date of UCAS sent: 28th October
    Date of Offer/Rejection: -
    Offer Details: -

Just to tell you, 4 of my friends from school have been rejected for a mix of economics courses so far. These were top candidates as well so looks like those still in the running have a good chance!
    what grades did you get at GCSE and what are your predicted A level grades?

ReputationRep:
    I got at:

GCSE: 5A*s 2As 2Bs
    AS: 5As (Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Geography, Physics)
    A2: predicted 3As (already got 1A)

ReputationRep:
    Beef_Eater hang in there mate, I'm sure you'll get an offer soon....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruhell)
    Beef_Eater hang in there mate, I'm sure you'll get an offer soon....
    cheers. appreciate it. you too.

ReputationRep:
    cheers. appreciate it. you too.
    What are your GCSE/AS Grades like? What was your PS like? eh?

ReputationRep:
    What are your GCSE/AS Grades like? What was your PS like? eh?
    AAAA - AS Level
    AAA - Predicted A Level
    However I have a blacklisted A Level and a blacklisted AS Level

No A*s at GCSE, mostly As with a couple of Cs

PS would be average I'll say.

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    They didn't apply for Economics and Economic History. They applied for Economics and Statistics, etc. So yea, feeling good about the application. So should all of you who havent been rejected yet!
    LSE doesn't have bsc econ and stats, you mean UCL I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I got at:

GCSE: 5A*s 2As 2Bs
    AS: 5As (Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Geography, Physics)
    A2: predicted 3As (already got 1A)
    GCSE: 8A*s 2A's
    AS: 6As (Economics, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Psychology,Critical Thinking)
    A2: predicted 3 As in the end lol and A in AS FM, already got A in Economics A2
    ....shortlisted, then rejected

Best of luck mate...your PS was clearly better than mine then i guess

Edit: I'm clearly not jealous :rolleyes:
    lol jk :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    AAAA - AS Level
    AAA - Predicted A Level
    However I have a blacklisted A Level and a blacklisted AS Level

No A*s at GCSE, mostly As with a couple of Cs

PS would be average I'll say.

How about you?
    I achieved AAAB at AS, predicted AAAA. GCSE's, 3A* 5As and 3Bs, as well as a B in Geography which I sat early in Year 10. 'Forced' to take up an AS in Critical Thinking this year too....

I'd say however, that what makes my application stand out, is the fact that I attend a School which has a 19% GCSE pass rate (Percentage achieving 5A* - C) as well having very very little history in sending pupils to top universities.

Also, without sounding arrogant, my PS was extremely strong. Ticked all the boxes, work experience, extra reading, summer schools, EYP, Voluntary work, CoPE Level 3 and much more......which I hope is keeping me in the race at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economic Historian 1)

:eek: You got rejected ith 8A*s? Is that not the benchmark for the LSE?

ReputationRep:
    I achieved AAAB at AS, predicted AAAA. GCSE's, 3A* 5As and 3Bs, as well as a B in Geography which I sat early in Year 10. 'Forced' to take up an AS in Critical Thinking this year too....

I'd say however, that what makes my application stand out, is the fact that I attend a School which has a 19% GCSE pass rate (Percentage achieving 5A* - C) as well having very very little history in sending pupils to top universities.

Also, without sounding arrogant, my PS was extremely strong. Ticked all the boxes, work experience, extra reading, summer schools, EYP, Voluntary work, CoPE Level 3 and much more......which I hope is keeping me in the race at the moment...
    Cool...Your kinda in a similar situation as me then. I too went to a secondary school with something like a 28% pass rate. And I hope LSE take that into account. Do you think they will?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economic Historian 1)

Did UCL make you an offer?

ReputationRep:
    Cool...Your kinda in a similar situation as me then. I too went to a secondary school with something like a 28% pass rate. And I hope LSE take that into account. Do you think they will?
    Although I think it is slightly unfair on other students, I think that the school someone attends must be taken into account. For example, I went to the Eton Summer School last July, and having studied and lived there, I no doubt believe that I would have achieved far more academically, had I attended a school of similar academic standing.

Although in retrospect, I feel that I probably could have achieved more, and didn't fully maximise my potential. Whether or not that is the school's fault, I don't know.

To this end, I think ultimately, the LSE will factor this in when making decisions, although a friend of mine who attends a similar inner city state school with a near perfect academic record was rejected today....from the LSE for course M100.

ReputationRep:
    Although I think it is slightly unfair on other students, I think that the school someone attends must be taken into account. For example, I went to the Eton Summer School last July, and having studied and lived there, I no doubt believe that I would have achieved far more academically, had I attended a school of similar academic standing.

Although in retrospect, I feel that I probably could have achieved more, and didn't fully maximise my potential. Whether or not that is the school's fault, I don't know.

To this end, I think ultimately, the LSE will factor this in when making decisions, although a friend of mine who attends a similar inner city state school with a near perfect academic record was rejected today....from the LSE for course M100.
    To be honest I think the personal statement is a real deciding factor for LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    Did UCL make you an offer?
    I didnt apply to UCL...
    L100 at:
    St Andrews- (A)AB
    York- Unconditional
    Nottingham- Offered Maths & Engineering instead (exactly, wtf :confused: )
    Birmingham- (A)BB
    ... I think Im gonna go for York...St A's is 4 years and a bit wierd lol...could do a degree from York and Masters at LSE in the same time lol!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: You got rejected ith 8A*s? Is that not the benchmark for the LSE?
    What can i say, they're gay *******s.
    lol, jk :tongue: I wanted to go to LSE really really badly

ReputationRep:
    im sorry to hear you got rejected economic historian 1, did u apply for econ and econ hist too? and its undercover wierd how they didnt give you a reason....
    omg 1st post. well scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenJellyTot)
    omg 1st post. well scary.
    Wellcome .
    Hows your apps goin?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2009
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.