Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I dunno what pele is smoking.
    The guy who scores nearly all his goals in the brazil league, wins a world cup and is considered as the best ever...what a joke. It's like me playing fifa online and playing with ultimate team and saying I'm the best player ever.

Until neymar proves himself in europe.
    Before anyone says 'what if brazil proves themselves in the world cup.' Then I can say that diego forlan is the best player in the world for pretty much single handedly taking uruguay to the semis of the world cup and winning the copa america, or say that muller is the best young forward in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I dunno what pele is smoking.
    The guy who scores nearly all his goals in the brazil league, wins a world cup and is considered as the best ever...what a joke. It's like me playing fifa online and playing with ultimate team and saying I'm the best player ever.

Until neymar proves himself in europe.
    Before anyone says 'what if brazil proves themselves in the world cup.' Then I can say that diego forlan is the best player in the world for pretty much single handedly taking uruguay to the semis of the world cup and winning the copa america, or say that muller is the best young forward in the world.
    Had Uruguay won the WC. Forlan would have deserved a Ballon D'or.

Muller is one of the best young fowards in the world tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facdroit)

No he wouldn't, he would not have been the best player over the year or season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    No he wouldn't, he would not have been the best player over the year or season.
    Considering he lead Athletico to Europa league.
    Had he also lead Uruguay to World cup I'm pretty sure he would have won.
    Messi is amazing I agree but single handedly winning both the WC and EL is noteworthy.

ReputationRep:
    Messi is amazing I agree but single handedly winning both the WC and EL is noteworthy.
    He didn't lead Athletico to the Europa League in any way, shape or form - he had Aguero alongside him for starters, as well as Reyes and Simao.

Uruguay's entire attack is lethal - Lavezzi, Cavani, Suarez... so their run wasn't down to just one man, scoring goals isn't everything.

Gary Lineker was the top scorer at the 1986 Finals but he certainly didn't single-handedly lead England to the quarter-finals.

ReputationRep:
    It would have been an amazing feat but Messi played better over the same time period, therefore he was the better player and in turn he was the best player in the world during that time period.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as there are a few people around atm, could somebody please explain to me tackling rules?

Question is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post37074421

As well as the question about showing studs, is it always a foul if you take both feet off the ground at any point in a tackle, whether or not you "show studs" e.g if you jump slightly to try and reach for a loose ball? (this one I can understand)

ReputationRep:
    Pele amuses me.

ReputationRep:
    So many negs from Messi fanboys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_kisses)
    So many negs from Messi fanboys!
    Not really. You got so many negs for being mentally retarded. You actually believe Neymar is better than Messi. And yet you give no evidence or proof as to why you believe such an obscenely wrong notion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    Not really. You got so many negs for being mentally retarded. You actually believe Neymar is better than Messi. And yet you give no evidence or proof as to why you believe such an obscenely wrong notion.
    Hahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    Messi has scored in 14 of the 16 Liga fixtures at the Camp Nou this season. He did not play in the other two matches.
    :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Uruguay's entire attack is lethal - Lavezzi, Cavani, Suarez...
    While they do have a great attack, its not quite that lethal....

ReputationRep:
    He didn't lead Athletico to the Europa League in any way, shape or form - he had Aguero alongside him for starters, as well as Reyes and Simao.

Uruguay's entire attack is lethal - Lavezzi, Cavani, Suarez... so their run wasn't down to just one man, scoring goals isn't everything.

Gary Lineker was the top scorer at the 1986 Finals but he certainly didn't single-handedly lead England to the quarter-finals.
    Lavezzi is Argentinian.

Still, I agree, Uruguay is not a one man team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Seeing as there are a few people around atm, could somebody please explain to me tackling rules?

Question is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post37074421

As well as the question about showing studs, is it always a foul if you take both feet off the ground at any point in a tackle, whether or not you "show studs" e.g if you jump slightly to try and reach for a loose ball? (this one I can understand)
    You're never going to get a proper answer because no-one really knows what the rules are :p:

I think showing your studs doesn't matter if you get the ball and don't follow through and take out the other guy with your studs up, because that could be deemed dangerous I guess.

And I think the second one is a foul because of dangerous play.

This is me guessing though, I know ChrisWilliams is a ref (or something along those lines) so maybe he can be more precise/helpful

(Original post by ChrisWilliams)
    x

ReputationRep:

Despite messi and ronaldo producing the goods for a whole year and forlan just helping them in 8 games and doing just fairly well for the rest of the season.

ReputationRep:
    Showing your studs in a tackle is a free kick but it all depends on whether the referee deems it to be dangerous or not. If you slide in with your studs showing a free kick should be given as you're not in control of your challenge.

Two footed with studs showing should always be a foul and a red card, but it's not always a free kick if you leave the ground if you don't show studs. That's my interpretation anyway, others will differ.

ReputationRep:

You've been watching too much of napoli, isn't lavezzi from argentina?
    Cavani wasn't playing then at the time, wasn't it suarez left wing with forlan up front.
    Athletico had loads of players. reyes, simao, de gea, dominguez, they weren't a bad team.

Also, I really wanna see athletico back in the champions league, roma as well.

ReputationRep:
    Pele... :facepalm2:

Great footballer and all but please stfu. He sounds just like rainbow_kisses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Despite messi and ronaldo producing the goods for a whole year and forlan just helping them in 8 games and doing just fairly well for the rest of the season.
    None of them deserved the 2010 Ballon d´or, Wesley Sneijder did. He was probably the most important player during Inter's campaign and almost single handedly took his national team to the WC final.

Sure Messi is more talented, but he didn´t deserve this award, because it´s about the best (most influental) player of the year, not the most talented.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.