Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously having to resist the urge to buy a laminator. We have one at work and I'm pathetically excited when I get to use it. I know the schools I'm in will have them, but my last school was super stingy with their laminating facilities, and it'd be nice to be able to make my own resources that won't get damaged.

I move to my uni city on Monday. I'm ridiculously excited and nervous. I can't stop buying new clothes and stationery.

Female trainees- what did you wear on placement? I'm trying to break out of my black trousers and smart t-shirt/jumper every single day routine, but not sure what's acceptable. I always look smart, nothing is above the knee or cleavage-y and I'll be wearing thick tights and cardigans, but my clothes aren't business formal either (midi skirts, tea/skater dresses etc).

It seems like primary teachers have a lot more leeway with what they wear, but in your experience what did that tend to mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    I'm seriously having to resist the urge to buy a laminator. We have one at work and I'm pathetically excited when I get to use it. I know the schools I'm in will have them, but my last school was super stingy with their laminating facilities, and it'd be nice to be able to make my own resources that won't get damaged.

I move to my uni city on Monday. I'm ridiculously excited and nervous. I can't stop buying new clothes and stationery.

Female trainees- what did you wear on placement? I'm trying to break out of my black trousers and smart t-shirt/jumper every single day routine, but not sure what's acceptable. I always look smart, nothing is above the knee or cleavage-y and I'll be wearing thick tights and cardigans, but my clothes aren't business formal either (midi skirts, tea/skater dresses etc).

It seems like primary teachers have a lot more leeway with what they wear, but in your experience what did that tend to mean?
    I've had a laminator since I was about thirteen and found it very useful in my time teaching. Tbh with you I never had enough hours at school to get everything done so I would have to do something at home, and laminating is at least an easy job you can do with the TV on etc. If possible I would take pouches home. My school had a rolling laminator instead of having pouches and they once ran out for over a month so noone could do anything in school. This place was particularly protective with stationery though... You couldn't even access the cupboard yourself, you had to ask for each item so it could be checked.

I pretty much wore what you described, but sometimes a black skirt with tights instead. Sometimes a dress with tights. It will kind of depend on the school so I'd go with black trousers and smartish top on day one and just see what everyone else is wearing!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

To be honest I found that both my placement schools were really laid back about dress code. I went in on the first day really formally dressed and felt like an idiot. In reality I could wear my normal wardrobe, seeing as I like dresses anyway. To someone who knew me you wouldn't have been able to tell I was at work. The only thing I kept an eye on was cleavage. My dresses were quite short (not massively, maybe a post-it over the knee) but I was told it was fine because my dresses were skater style and not clingy. We had a trainee who got told to change her skirts because they were too short and clingy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I've had a laminator since I was about thirteen and found it very useful in my time teaching. Tbh with you I never had enough hours at school to get everything done so I would have to do something at home, and laminating is at least an easy job you can do with the TV on etc. If possible I would take pouches home. My school had a rolling laminator instead of having pouches and they once ran out for over a month so noone could do anything in school. This place was particularly protective with stationery though... You couldn't even access the cupboard yourself, you had to ask for each item so it could be checked.
    Ooh, glad you found it useful! I think I'll invest in one then!

(Original post by kpwxx)
    I pretty much wore what you described, but sometimes a black skirt with tights instead. Sometimes a dress with tights. It will kind of depend on the school so I'd go with black trousers and smartish top on day one and just see what everyone else is wearing!!
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    To be honest I found that both my placement schools were really laid back about dress code. I went in on the first day really formally dressed and felt like an idiot. In reality I could wear my normal wardrobe, seeing as I like dresses anyway. To someone who knew me you wouldn't have been able to tell I was at work. The only thing I kept an eye on was cleavage. My dresses were quite short (not massively, maybe a post-it over the knee) but I was told it was fine because my dresses were skater style and not clingy. We had a trainee who got told to change her skirts because they were too short and clingy.
    Thanks guys, glad to hear it's pretty informal. I don't own anything short or clingy, so no danger of that! I'll probably play it safe for the first day and go from there I'm on a massive diet at the moment, so need to stop buying clothes that fit me now!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Dress codes are very much unique to a school. Most will be laid back, and as long as you're not dressed for the beach it's probably fine. Some schools can have strict staff dress codes, though, which is something to be aware of. I would say dress professionally on the first day and observe what other members of staff are wearing, then dress to match that.

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty much a black trousers and shirt/blouse type of girl, when it comes to work wear. I would not inflict the sight of me in a dress on anyone!

Can I ask though, am I fine in me 'ole jeans for uni days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    I am pretty much a black trousers and shirt/blouse type of girl, when it comes to work wear. I would not inflict the sight of me in a dress on anyone!

Uni days are the same as any other uni dress wise. So pretty much anything goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Uni days are the same as any other uni dress wise. So pretty much anything goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phew :cool:

ReputationRep:

Love this! After 9 years in combats and boots I can't cope with choosing what to wear so black trousers/blouse is my civilian work 'uniform'. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does the PGCE year 'use up' the availability of a masters degree funding (i.e student finance), so you cant do a masters afterwards (you would have to fund it yourself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Does the PGCE year 'use up' the availability of a masters degree funding (i.e student finance), so you cant do a masters afterwards (you would have to fund it yourself).
    There is no funding for a masters anyway. Student finance is only for undergraduate degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    Love this! After 9 years in combats and boots I can't cope with choosing what to wear so black trousers/blouse is my civilian work 'uniform'. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

:blush:

I have received my reading list. I might get a couple of the books that look interesting but I imagine the majority would sit gathering dust. There is also no way I can afford 15 books, as some are around the £30 mark!

I am tempted to email every on the cc list and ask who is doing the PGCE as there is a mixture of PGCE & School Direct students

ReputationRep:
    :blush:

I have received my reading list. I might get a couple of the books that look interesting but I imagine the majority would sit gathering dust. There is also no way I can afford 15 books, as some are around the £30 mark!

I am tempted to email every on the cc list and ask who is doing the PGCE as there is a mixture of PGCE & School Direct students
    I wouldn't bother buying any books. I didn't read a single one over the year and any books I did need for essays were available in the library.

ReputationRep:
    You could try looking for older copies of the books? I've found that for a lot of the recommended books by the uni, they have either 1p or "really low price and free delivery when you spend £10" versions on Amazon. Obviously that's not practical for anything curriculum specific, but for more theoretical books I've found that pretty good.

But I have no idea how often you'll use these books, so Samus is probably right that you can get them all from the library. But I hate libraries, so I like having my own copies!

ReputationRep:
    Just buy international copies of books from abebooks for like £1, every year I get ~£200-300 worth of physics textbooks for like £60.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    There hasn't ever really been any student funding for masters courses. You generally have had to pay yourself or apply for a career development loan from the bank.
    There are new postgraduate loans being introduced as of Sept 2016, for those aged under 30 and I think the maximum you can borrow is £10000. You need to pay for your course as well as books/living costs from what ever you borrow.

ReputationRep:
    There hasn't ever really been any student funding for masters courses. You generally have had to pay yourself or apply for a career development loan from the bank.
    There are new postgraduate loans being introduced as of Sept 2016, for those aged under 30 and I think the maximum you can borrow is £10000. You need to pay for your course as well as books/living costs from what ever you borrow.
    Are these still going through, or have they been quietly shelved after the election?

ReputationRep:

I'm starting a Secondary PGCE and I honestly think the best thing is just to feel comfortable with what you're wearing. I wear a lot of vintage clothing and usually always look pretty smart, so I am planning to be myself and stick to that. If my placement schools are super smart, then I'll buy a blazer and be done with it. As long as you look appropriate, it is more important to feel comfortable with yourself, particularly in new situations. I also have a few friends who are teachers and their schools are actually pretty casual, so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Is everyone buying things like printers and laminators etc etc? I can't really afford to do that at this point in time. I'm just trying to relax and remember that things always work out as they are meant to in life. I'm feeling unnaturally zen about the whole thing so far! I'm sure that'll crack as soon as I step into a school. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janeite)
    I'm starting a Secondary PGCE and I honestly think the best thing is just to feel comfortable with what you're wearing. I wear a lot of vintage clothing and usually always look pretty smart, so I am planning to be myself and stick to that. If my placement schools are super smart, then I'll buy a blazer and be done with it. As long as you look appropriate, it is more important to feel comfortable with yourself, particularly in new situations. I also have a few friends who are teachers and their schools are actually pretty casual, so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Is everyone buying things like printers and laminators etc etc? I can't really afford to do that at this point in time. I'm just trying to relax and remember that things always work out as they are meant to in life. I'm feeling unnaturally zen about the whole thing so far! I'm sure that'll crack as soon as I step into a school. :P
    I bought a laminator a month or two ago as my manager did the same course as me ( EYT) and recommended a laminator for making projects for children. I imagine a pgce is a bit different. I did get an a3 laminator that came with 100 laminating sheets for i think £25.

If you dont think you will make huge use of one, i'm sure you will find in a school or another student who has one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sans-peur)
    I bought a laminator a month or two ago as my manager did the same course as me ( EYT) and recommended a laminator for making projects for children. I imagine a pgce is a bit different. I did get an a3 laminator that came with 100 laminating sheets for i think £25.

If you dont think you will make huge use of one, i'm sure you will find in a school or another student who has one.
    Thank you! I imagine a laminator would primarily be used by those doing the Primary PGCE but I seem to be woefully underprepared compared to a few others on here. I've bought a few bits and pieces, skimmed a few teaching books and read some of the books I know will be on the curriculum (I'll be teaching English) but that is it. I've just been working and focusing on enjoying the peace and quiet on my days off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.